Translation.

• DarkLight
    12 years ago

What happens if you translate poems written in another language?

• Britt
    12 years ago

You should not post poems that are not your own, even if it's your own translation from, for example, English to Spanish.

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

What do you mean?

Usually, nothing happens, as long as you state the source and say that it is a translation.

If you mean what happens to the poem I'll say that it loses part of it's meaning and flow when you translate, but sometimes you need to do that when you're sharing the poem with others... still, you should ALWAYS mention that you're translating the poem and that it isn't written by you.

• Abissah Junior
    12 years ago

I mean..now i av more than 4250 poems written in arabic n some in amharic.it is my own composition n was wonderin if at all they might loose their taste if i decide to translate them now.

• DarkLight
    12 years ago

Yaa sam u right..i do have over 600 poems written in oromian n jst need to post them if it is allowed fr translations.

• Jordan
    12 years ago

From a linguist's point of view, I can tell you that they'll definitely lose some of their integrity.

But if you're okay with it then I say go for it. There's always room for poetry here regardless of the level of the writing - art is art after all!

• Paul Gondwe
    12 years ago

I think integrity would really be lost.

• Decayed
    12 years ago

I have 3 poems posted in here that are personal translations of Arabian lyrics into English (I added words, removed, blemished, but the idea is still the same).

I think in one poem, I have succeeded to bring the reader the exact emotions he/she could get from reading the Arabic version. It is 'To Beirut'

In the other two, the pieces lost some magic after translation... because you know, every language has its aura. They are: 'I Broke the Vase' ... and ... 'Shady'