Does any one else?

• Jenn
    12 years ago

Does anyone else just write/type then when they have nothing else to say just go and make appropriate changes?

I was just wondering cause I can honestly say the most a poem has ever taken me to write (without re-read and appropriate changes for flow) was about 10 minutes. 30 at most for finished product.

I feel like when I just type/write what ever is in my heart then just move the lines around it comes out just fine the way it is. I only way I can ever really explain it is, I just shut my brain off when I'm writing. "Let my finger's and heart do the talkin"

It's weird Any thoughts?

• Tara Kay
    12 years ago

Most of my poems are written straight out in around 15 minutes, and I only really see mistakes or things to amend when I have re-read about a few hours later, when my mind has resurfaced to logical thinking

so I don't think you are alone, sometimes I may find a line out of nowhere, pen it down and add to it later if it really sticks in my head.

• Lofallenve
    12 years ago

"Let my finger's and heart do the talkin"

That is exactly how I am. :) I just clear my head of the cluttering random thoughts, and focus on the one emotion I am feeling strongly at the moment and just write, write write.

• Jenn
    12 years ago

@Tara Exactly I mean my general product is finished quickly and then after a while I'll go back and fix and polish as need be.

@Lofallenve That's why I do it also!

To add. I just feel like when I use my head to write my poem base, there tends to be unnecessary force rhyming.
    Where as if I just get it out all and just add rhyming words here and there for flow it sounds fine.
    Plus I feel like the emotion never get's dulled, due to over thinking it. I find that when I dwell and "try" to make a poem right off with what I'm feeling, I just like kill it. And the whole meaning behind it goes up in smoke. lol

• Lofallenve
    12 years ago

I have to agree with "trying" to make the poem. Like without the overwhelming feeling of emotion that I normally use to help me write, the feelings of the moment helps me create the poem. But if I sit down and actually try to write, it just isn't as good, I don't think. :S

• Mello193
    12 years ago

I dont ever force it, i let it flow naturally, maybe that makes me a bad poet but ehhh

• Amy
    11 years ago

That's what I do I have no idea why it just comes to me I type it on the internet then press send no quickly easy fixes. No changes made to what I've written I just like it the way it is

• Baby Rainbow
    11 years ago

Yes, most of my poems I write one after the other and the words keep flowing. I sometimes force myself to write a different style of poem for a challenge, such as a Haiku etc. This takes longer and can be a challenge.

• Omar
    11 years ago

My poems.are force to come out. I don't let anything behind. It takes me like 10 mins to finish a poem. But sometimes i change the flow of it. But i think my poems are good.

• Rusheena
    11 years ago

It's not weird. There's nothing wrong with revising. Actually, you should always revise or at least proofread, just to make sure that poem is exactly what you want.

It doesn't take me long to write a poem either, but whenever I posted something immediately, I'd usually find some mistakes because I'd only see the "heart" and not the errors.

The truth is, even some of the best writers in history revised and some even planned to write something and sat down and forced themselves to write. There's nothing wrong with that either.

Your heart is the best muse (I believe), but there's always room for editing. Besides, you never know how good your work will turn after you've sat down and analyzed your words a bit.

• Andrew Packard
    11 years ago

"Good Poetry Writes itself" Ever heard that? Yeah 30 minutes is about the Norm. I don't like to not rhyme my poetry so it takes some thought and some time to find the appropriate words to rhyme...

• Andrew Packard
    11 years ago

Your work could always be better than it is ... I mean we are not receiving Nobel Prizes here....

• Amreen
    11 years ago

Yup rhyming ones take much effort to fit the relevancy... but I too would.like to echo on tara's comment!