What is poetry, anyway?

• nouriguess
    11 years ago

So, I really need criticism. I have a world-wide contest and if I win anything in it, I might go to London. So, it's a big deal for me. It's only for people from 10 to 18 years-old. So, this year is my last chance. The deadline is on 31th July, that means I don't really have much time. If anyone is interested, I can give the link!

Anyway, my question is... when I write a poem, I completely lose my purpose and aim and message. And I begin to drift here and there, paint images and then...Boom! The closing line. I feel that my poetry holds no obvious message, it's rather a complete chaos of similes and emotions and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad one.

I trust my pen and I hope to win something there because it would fill me wth tons of confidence but...I want to know if poetry is meant and made to give a message at the end or to just 'express'.

Thanks! And wish me luck.

• Decayed
    11 years ago

I want to know if poetry is meant and made to give a message at the end or to just 'express'.

^

That would differ from one poet to another.

I, 95% of time, have a SPECIFIC message that I want to deliver because 95% of my poems have a social problem to handle in a poetic way.

The other 5% is for randomness like mixed up emotions and artistically crafted imagery.

Is that Good or Bad?

^ Again, that differs, according to taste.

On this site, I find that there aren't many people who deliver a certain 'social/everyday' message, and I kind of worship such poems. Instead, there is a lot of creative randomness.

--- In that contest, is there a specific topic given?

If yes, then you should have a clear message, not randomness.

• nouriguess
    11 years ago

No, you just can enter up to 7 poems there. No topic needed.

• Decayed
    11 years ago

Then you can drift with your thoughts :P

Come here with them lol

• Boy
    11 years ago

Poetry is something that come in your heart and you express it in your own words. simple...

• Darren
    11 years ago

Poetry is a novel crammed into a few stanzas,

True poetry is a snippet from the mind of a genius

Poetry is our friend, who never leaves our side.

Poetry is a message of hope, to share with the world.

Poetry is the selfish beast that stays with us each day.

• Natasha
    11 years ago

But when I write, the thoughts inside my head sometimes control my will to express what I meant to express, and it's destined to be incomplete ~ how come?