Complicated long distance relationship..HELP ME?

• Maria
    11 years ago

So me and my boyfriend met back in January 2011. But we really started talking in April...We knew we'd be something more than friends because of this kind of intimacy we both felt though we didn't actually know each other well. In June, we started getting really close and on July 19th, he asked me to be his girlfriend. Of course I said yes. It wasn't all happiness and smiles and laughs.
    We both had to deal with crazy families and the factor called distance, all added to our insecurities and fears.
    I told my parents about him, they told me off at first but then I screamed I love him and they kind of tried to understand me. I had to do it, because he planned on visiting me in summer of 2012.
    Then things got even harder because school started again in September and we would talk less.
    Things weren't easy. He became distant and we drifted away. I didn't know what made him push me away like that.
    He's bipolar, clinical depressed, has ADHD, has though of suicide before but I didn't really understand why he would ''stay away'' from me like that.
    He broke up with me on November 19th. We made the transition to friends because he wanted to sort things out at that time. We made up again in December, and he broke up with me two days after that, dated another girl 7 days later.
    4 months later, he broke up with her and we started talking a lot AGAIN. He was being nice and thanked me for never leaving his side after all he did to me and we were good again. Then something happened and screwed everything up. Anyways, we've been on and off for a year now.
    It's been five days since we made up but things aren't as good as I expected. He's signed up for school (he loves school and was bored) and I'm 8 hours ahead of him. He can skype 2 am my time and my mom is strict, she will ground me if she finds out I've been disobeying her for days, I can't do it anymore.
    I message him saying we need to talk more often, he says he'll message me and he doesn't. I am trying to be okay with that, not to sound pushy. His parents are split, his step dad whom he loves is in jail, he hates his biological dad, his mom is desperate, his 4 siblings are all mentally retarded and although he's the youngest, he has to take care all of them, he's trying to quit drinking because he's afraid he'll become an alcoholic and he doesn't know what he's going to do with his life. He's depressed and pessimistic.
    I understand that. But I need his attention, too.
    I've told him I'll always be here whenever he needs to talk about that stuff. He has no reliable friends and I'm the only one he trully trusts. Why can't he just tell me what's on his mind.. I am not asking for him to be happy and cheerful.
    I just want a goddamn message every once in a while.
    Like, he uploads videos on youtube all the time, why can't he spend some time and message me on facebook. I don't even know how he's doing. I'm not paranoid or anything, I just feel like I'm being ignored. And if he needs some time on his own, he could have told me. Terrible things cross my mind.

• Xionide
    11 years ago

Seriously, walk away, your sounding as tho you've been a married couple for 20+ years. He has too many issues and he clearly ain't interested. Your being used when he sees fit. Choose to be his mug or don't, it's upto you

• Hannah Lizette
    11 years ago

Most long distance relationships do not work out. You are wasting your time, in my opinion. If he has time to upload vids, but doesn't send you messages... he obviously doesn't want to and is lying. If I were you, I would try to move on... dwelling over him could be holding yourself back from a potential relationship that is near you that wouldn't be as complicated. I wish you the best!

• ladiiie
    11 years ago

Well i dont think no one really has to tell you what to do, deep down you know what is actually the right thing to do. HUN seriously 8hrs away is a big difference. i say if someone really truly loves you and care about you they will make time to talk to you even if its just for a couple minutes. it seems to me you are suffering and you seem unhappy and that is not a good thing. maybe its time to call it quits and move forward. yes, you might miss him time to time but as time goes by you will forget about him cause it seems like he really doesnt think about you much. you seem young and i am pretty sure you will meet some guy who will make time to see you. and hold your hand and whatevers else there is. but i say this long distance isnt working. you know what the right thing to do is. and the only thing people can do is give you advice its up to you to figure it out. and whatever you decided on doing staying with him or moving forward, best of luck.

• Maria
    11 years ago

I know that long distance relationships are really hard and I knew what I was getting myself into when I started one. I can understand why he's not talking that much anymore, and I respect the fact that there are days when he wants to be left alone but this is just too much. It feels as if he's ignoring me. Other long distance couples have settled down on a date that they'll meet and when WE are going to meet is unsure. He thought of Christmas holidays and I asked him again to make sure he's really serious about this, he said ''Hopefully''. And after I posted this, we talked for two good hours and he told me he actually does love me and he's not just talking shit. I don't think he doesn't care about me at all. He has proven to me that he does.. But I need more time with him and he has to understand that. We are ''together'' again, but that relationship status on fb, doesn't mean we won't talk as much or that we don't need to keep in touch. There is intimacy and trust between us but no frequent communication and I'm trying to fix that but I am afraid he'll think I'm pushing him..He went to a festival last night and today he's going camping and he didn't tell me about it in a message as I expected. I learned it from his timeline on facebook and I Complained about it..

• Jhierren Paz
    11 years ago

When in a relationship, distance is not a problem. The only important thing about it is the feelings of the two if one is getting colder and you think it's not working out anymore then it's better to let go of it. What matters most when it comes to any relationship is the love and their concern for each other. And if there's no more with that in the other side. Then, I'll tell you it's better to move on and let go of your feelings with that guy, if you feel like if he didn't care anymore. The best way to know what's the best thing to do after that is that the two of you talked about it, but if he didn't want to talk about this, then it's time for you to let go of him.

Sometimes it's better to let go of someone, not because you don't love it but because you knew already that it is not working out anymore. Letting go of someone you love is difficult but then if you knew that he/she doesn't love you and or that you are just a friend then letting go of him/her would be the best thing to do though it's hard to bear. But you must accept the fact that you're just a friend and nothing else. --Jhierren

• Beauty In The Breaking
    11 years ago

Totally understand how frustrating, concerning, angering and confusing lack of communication and time with your bf/gf can be. I'm in a LDR also, have been for many years now and I'm sure you've found out, like I did the hard way, that it actually hurts more and is a lot harder then we even prepared ourselves for when we got into them.

I went through issues of having enough communication with my boyfriend a few times, sometimes it was him failing to communicate with me, sometimes it's me needing space and failing to sit down and send him a message. He works long shifts at a demanding job and has a lot of family responsibilities, I just get to stressed with my family, life and handling the highs and lows on the relationship.

It may make you feel demanding to start with but we decided we needed to lay down some ground rules that we would expect both ourselves and the other to follow. 1 of them was that no matter how exhausted we were or how crazy and strapped for time we are, we'll take at least a moment just to tell the other person we're ok and are thinking about them or are going to be away for a few days. We both agreed to do that, even if it's just a little post on the others facebook wall. We talked about how we don't handle not talking well and that to make it work we needed to put the effort in. Sounds like you need to have a talk like that too. It's not you being demanding or pushy, it's you sharing your needs with your boyfriend. That's what it takes to make any relationship, long distance or otherwise, work. Is learning to consider the other person and share what your needs are. Good luck hun

• Jhierren Paz
    11 years ago

Yeah I totally agree with that one. Well said, it's all about what we need with our love ones. :/

The worst is that no matter how clear I've stated all the things that I wanted for *that* particular person, *that* person probably act like doesn't understand it at all, or maybe making it obvious that it's just a game. It was really hard for me to know that fact, but, I already admit it

It's the trust and understanding that makes a relationship, and I know after that, other essential factors will follow. Probably that will never happens if your not willing to. It's the willingness..