The Zombie Apocalypse

• Kevin
    11 years ago

I don't wanna hear any fake "oh I'll get some guns, pack up lots of food and go find a boat and just ride it out on an island" ideas.

If tonight you heard a real news report about riots in the street (wherever you live) and people attacking and eating other people, really what would you do?

I will be checking your answers!

• Ashdown
    11 years ago

I would get my family together, round up as much doodads and food as possibles the short amount of time and we'd go down to one of the abandoned bunkers by my house. They are underground and super secure. They are also logical to live in since that's where our soldiers stayed during attacks and bombings.

As weapons go, guns aren't very effective and they are overly messy unless its a sniper. A crossbow, long handled axe or even sword would be the smartest option. We'd also cloth ourselves head to toe so we wouldn't risk getting blood on ourselves cause if that somehow gets in the blood stream your screwed.

That's the most logical thing in my opinion. I'm totally prepared because its around the corner. Once the government starts testing with caniblism there will be mutated people (regular speed even fast) wondering the streets in search of whatever blood they can find. Just like zombies.

• Exostosis
    11 years ago

Bunkers?. .they are safe. But they only provide protection against zombies. You will eventually run out of food. One can never have enough food. And in the mean time, the number of zombies will increase and accumulate the area, which will make it harder to escape in the future. Plus, one must know how to hot wire a car. And guns are a safer bet, while compared to knives and swords and axe. Zombies will have total access to their body power, which means they will be stronger as compared to regular humans. By the time your sword cuts through a zombie, you probably will have taken a bite or two. And slashing a zombie will create a splash of blood, which could decorate one's face with blood and also, enter the mouth and be swallowed. Plus, regular clothes could easily soak blood. No use wearing clothes from head to toe. A gun shot can slow down a zombie, and even kill it.

But to be totally prepared one must have a primary weapon, a rifle or a shotgun. A secondary, a pistol or something else. And a tertiary weapon , like a knife.

But in case of a sudden out break at this very moment, all I can think of is, gather family -> Jump into a vehicle -> Leave the city, travel to an infection free zone if the outbreak is recent. --> Find food --> Gather weapons--> Prepare a medical kit --> Make an attempt to travel to a quarantine zone created by the government. It is necessary to act fast. The infection will spread quickly. Must get to the safety zone before the streets are filled with zombies. I may be mentally prepared, but I havent a devised evacuation plan to execute.

If all else fails, make an attempt to the poles. The sub zero temperatures would shut down the virus, or so have some movies suggested. Plus, The water at the poles has atleast 50% more oxygen. No place on Earth is safe, because one will eventually run out of food. One would succumb to madness on a small island of a kilometer or so. Humans are studied to thrive longer in a community, else the life span could be shortened by as much as 20 years. If somehow a group of survivors gets to an island. They will eventually run out of food and succumb to cannibalism. There will be no other animals to hunt. Targeting birds is a hard task. Consuming aquatic life seems likely. May be moving into an isolated mountain range with a few survivors could provide a temporary cover. Hunting during the initial years could be productive. Or another choice is to live on the road, travel from place to place. One could find basic necessities fulfilled long the way i.e food, clothing, ammo, gas, etc. And get a view of different cities, and finally all our complaints about travelling and a vacation would end :P

• sibyllene
    11 years ago

Hrmmmm. Honestly, I think the first thing I'd do is sit tight and see if it gets under control. I would make sure I know where my family and my fellow were, but I probably wouldn't want to be an alarmist. I would feel silly taking it seriously, unless it was really obviously true. Maybe this would get me eaten.

Provided that my people and I made it through the first wave and it was clear it was an uncontained situation, I wouldn't be in the worst place ever. I'm about 40 minutes north of any major city (where it would probably be starting) and north of my house it gets pretty rural. I'd pack up the car with supplies, strap on the canoe, and head north as far as possible. (Of course, we've all seen those movie shots of miles of highways strewn with abandoned cars. It's a symptom of the "non-instant" zombie. Maybe I should get a bike.) As long as we steered clear of Duluth, we could probably stay out of the way of most of it, and, by most non-supernatural zombie theories, the zombies would have a hard time making it through a northern Minnesota winter.

Actually, in a few hours I'm headed up to a lonely, unheated house in remote northern MN, with a bunch of scrappy, intelligent hillbilly men with firepower. I'd probably be in a good place for zombies.

Ghosts, on the other hand, are another story. I'll have to pack my rock salt and sage.

• Exostosis
    11 years ago

A zombie apocalypse cannot possibly be contained. The infection spreads like wildfire. You could take a nap and wake up to find the streets filled with zombies. And the government is probably going to project that the situation is under control, even if it isnt. By the time you track one infected victim, several hundred would have been infected. And the scientists must be alive to produce a cure, which would be a number of trials and errors, obviously. An infected human must then be tested upon with the cure. In the mean time, an entire state would have been infected. There is no escape.

• La Reina De Corazones
    11 years ago

This is strangely reminding me of Resident Evil people lol O.o what can we do? lol

Queen Ash

• Kevin
    11 years ago

Exos, you didn't say what YOU would do, realistically.

• Exostosis
    11 years ago

I did. Let me copy paste it.

But in case of a sudden out break at this very moment, all I can think of is, gather family -> Jump into a vehicle -> Leave the city, travel to an infection free zone if the outbreak is recent. --> Find food --> Gather weapons--> Prepare a medical kit --> Make an attempt to travel to a quarantine zone created by the government. It is necessary to act fast. The infection will spread quickly. Must get to the safety zone before the streets are filled with zombies. I may be mentally prepared, but I havent a devised evacuation plan to execute.

^ This is what I would do incase of an outbreak, but in its initial phase, where the streets arent filled with zombies yet. It is possible to travel away to a city with minimum or no infection. Gather weapons, a med kit, and a radio, at the least. And wait it out somewhere until the government announces a quarantine/safety zone.

And if incase I wake up to a city filled with zombies. Then everything is a chance from there on. Citizens are not allowed to possess weapons here. I will try to make a run to the Police station close to my home. Its literally a few meters. There must be some primitive weapons there. Find a car, do not know how to hot wire yet. (Hmm..may be I should learn to fix a car). Anywho, gather family with whatever medicine I can find at home with some food and drive non stop until I find a deserted zone, and then in safety think what to do next, since one can not possibly have an idea about the areas infected, or the infection free zones. Perhaps distant villages could be uninfected, since zombies wouldnt walk hundreds of mile initially or too quickly, and the infection does not spread by air. There could be ample food, if not medical help. And some villages could have a gas station for refill. There really isnt anything one can do, until he/she engages in such an apocalypse. And only then would one know how well can he/she handle a situation and not be taken over by panic.

I will assume, that there isnt going to be a cure. And just incase if it invented, it wont be used to cure the masses. Heck, the government could have intentionally caused the zombie apocalypse.

What else could one do?. .and do post what you would do, as a science fiction fan.

• Colm
    11 years ago

I guess I would have two options: a) Stay and try to barricade the house or b) Try and make it overseas.

First thing I'd do is probably ring my friends/family and try to get some information on how bad it is and where the outbreak is, and gather some of us together. I'm in a pretty rural spot so I'd probably be safe in the short-term if I collected up food, barricaded up the house etc. But there is nowhere really remote here, never far from a town and eventually the zombies would come and/or food would run out, so staying put mightn't be the best option for the medium-long term. If it was the 'I Am Legend' breed of zombies that come out only at night, staying put could be a better option: there would be the chance to move around in the day time, contact other survivors, get supplies, etc.

What I would probably do is try to leave the country. I presume the outbreak would not have spread past Ireland at this stage. This could be done either by a) Air or b) Sea. As airfields would descend to panic and I cant fly a plane, I would probably head to the coast: I am quite close to it. I would quickly as possible stock up on food, medical supplies, clothes, a bicycle in case the car gets stuck in traffic jams etc and weapons and head to the coast in the car. The main port would have big passenger ships but would likely be crowded: I would probably take my chance there and hope it has been set up as an evacuation point and that zombies haven't reached it yet. I'd be trying to contact others to find out while on the way. If this didn't work I would head down the coast to a quieter spot where I know there are some smaller fishing boats and even oar-boats. I'd bring the supplies with me and take one of these and set off hoping to reach the UK.

• Ducky
    11 years ago

I would probably gather my friends/family and run. Mountains seem to be a good choice. i would super glue nails to a baseball bat (guns need ammo, which would be Rare in a zombie apocalypse) and use it as a weapon, as well as a arsenal of swords and knives (i collect) tho, knowing my luck, i would most likely start the invasion

• Kevin
    11 years ago

I'd not believe the news reports at first but then we have a good view of some central streets from our flat so we'd see the violence.

Honestly, being from Scotland we have no guns and the only melee weapons most people would get access to would be sports equiptment like cricket bats etc. I'd barricade my flat door and start filling up everything with water. We have enough food for at least 2 weeks at rations.

No way would I go outside with riots in the street. I'd wait out the worst, then get tooled up as best I could and do a few recons. I actually have a baseball bat and a fencing sword in the flat. I could sharped the fencing sword if need be into a rapier style weapon. I have binoculars.

In all reality though I'd probably die trying to save my girlfriend who can't run, can't fight and would probably stop to pick up a puppy.

• sibyllene
    11 years ago

"In all reality though I'd probably die trying to save my girlfriend who can't run, can't fight and would probably stop to pick up a puppy."

Haha, I like the honesty. : )

Of course, there is another option. Grab your cricket bat and your buddy, find your ex girlfriend, and make your way to the Winchester for a quick pint.

• Selfrejected
    11 years ago

My family lives on the other side of Canada so going to them isn't really an option if it happened today. I'd gather my hunting equipment go see if I can still buy ammunition and get the frack out of the gorram city as fast as possible.

I have a lot of outdoor experience from hunting and being in the infantry. So, I feel I'd be able to last in the woods for quite sometime. Only issue would be is shelter during the winter. A tarp and sleeping bag isn't going to be comfortable for too long. There is camping ground in Northern Quebec that is very isolated so I'd probably head that way. But it'd have to be on foot since I lack a license or vehicle; though I highly doubt people are going to care at that point.

Otherwise, just wait it out in isolation and hopefully. The people I'd do it with don't go stir crazy.

Edited:

Kevin, I never really thought about my first reaction. I don't generally follow news. I never hear about anything ever until days later. So, I would for sure have a very slow start to getting on the move. I don't own a TV besides my computer. And I only really use it to game and listen to podcasts. So, my source of news is already behind. Hmm, most likely die then trying to get the frack out of the gorram city.

• Selfrejected
    11 years ago

Just like to add. I wouldn't go near anything run by the government. Look at Katrina and recently New York. They just gather everyone up into make shift prisons and hold them there for their "own safety." I would not want to be anywhere near there during this type of disaster.

• Exostosis
    11 years ago

^ Right you are. But there has to be a number of habitable zones on the planet. I do not trust the government, but must consider such a possibility. Have to be open minded. There could be other habitable zones, that could curtain small group of survivors under their wings.

I am not much of a news person either, but must not take such a scenario lightly, or any such potential threat. Better that we react early in futility than delay and regret.

• Kevin
    11 years ago

"Of course, there is another option. Grab your cricket bat and your buddy, find your ex girlfriend, and make your way to the Winchester for a quick pint."

Sibby, pubs are where Zombie plagues start if closing time round my way is any indicator.

• sibyllene
    11 years ago

This is true. In fact, I'm sure the spread of many contagious diseases could be traced back to late night pub patrons.

• Kevin
    11 years ago

I wouldn't know about that Sibby, but tell us more about your trip to Ireland?

:)

• sibyllene
    11 years ago

I'll have to consult my medical charts before I get the details straight...

Ha!

• Kevin
    11 years ago

By medical charts, do you mean tattoos?

• Formidable Muse
    11 years ago

If that were to happen right this second, the most logical thing to do would be to head to a zone with sub zero temperatures, as in the Antarctic (or the closest place) and find a secure bunker there. It would kill off anything with the virus because they would not be able to tolerate the freezing temp. and it would slowly kill the virus, so you would want to be inside a secure place, because the zombies wouldn't immediately die it would take a while for it to sink in, especially if they are able to kill while they are in the area. Human blood would provide the warmth/enzymes they need to survive temporarily even under the extreme whether conditions. So it wouldn't necessarily be safe, but safer than most places.

A car would be the safest bet for travel to the cold place because you are confined in a locked area, but at some point you are going to have to stop for gas and you never know what area the outbreak has or hasn't hit. So you would have to be very smart with that and cars take a while to fill up, so anything you see an empty station good luck.

As weapons go, a gun is a good idea but guns require ammo which you will run out of. An ax or something with a sharp end would be the most reasonable weapon. If you were lucky enough to just have a ton of ammo lying around than take the gun, but how realistic is that?

A far as food goes, you wouldn't be able to weigh yourself down with it especially in a hurry. When you get to or very near your destination would be the best time to find food. The Arctic provides a number of different animals to eat, you would just have to have the skill to catch, kill and cook without being caught and killed.

• L
    11 years ago

If that were to happen, I would probably watch the news not believing what I am hearing. Then I would run to the front door, I would look everywhere and if I see riots and stuff, I would lock everything up, I will call siblings and parents, and lastly, I will be praying probably hiding in a closet.

--

Ps.. This thread reminded me of "the walking dead"

• Let It Be
    11 years ago

Why live through it and deal with fighting everyday i say faster way to heaven all aboard