Not confident

• Divine
    9 years ago

Hello for some time now I have not really been confident of my writing,and have no urge to write. can anyone help me to solve this writing issue.thanks

• Poet on the Piano
    9 years ago

Hmm... sorry to hear that. I'm not sure if it can come from anyone but you. Certainly you have to be inspired and that can arise from many forms, but I don't think anyone can suddenly plant in you a desire to write. That has to come from within. And I know that sounds mystical and probably not too helpful, but ultimately you are the author and you have to be comfortable.

I would suggest practicing articulating your thoughts and not worrying about an "audience". Then when you feel you have made that connection with yourself, or whatever emotions you were trying to get across, then you can look at it from another perspective and see if you want to start writing different forms, experiment with structure. I think each poem has its own "calling" in that you may have a strong inclination to write it a certain way that may or may not be your style or that is needed for the poem's meaning.

Maybe you can also think deeper as to why you're not confident of your writing? List the reasons. Could it also be writer's block? I think it's up to you as an individual to either give it time or if you want prompts, to not wait for that moment of inspiration but work off a line or idea.

• Colm
    9 years ago

I think everybody goes through phases like this.

What I've found to work in the past is not to try too hard or try to force writing. Inspiration might be just around the corner: maybe try reading more poetry or listening to new music and that might give you fresh inspiration.

You could also try a poetic challenge to get you back into the swing of things.