with intimacy & recognition,

as if we are friends.

-- Omar Musa, 2015

• Melpomene
    8 years ago

Opinions on this poem?

• hiraeth
    8 years ago

It sent chills down my back, the smile at the end makes me question whether he genuinely means that smile, or if there's malice behind that smile. It's appalling that in this time and age, there's people who still believe in that ideology, and promote racism. It still makes me wonder about that man though, if he genuinely believes in this ideology wholeheartedly, or if he believes in it just to gain acceptance by his peers. Also this reads as a spoken-word piece, is the author a spoken-word poet?

• Melpomene
    8 years ago

Mark, you're correct, he is a spoke-word poet. However he does write poems that he does not perform. These are mainly written on his blog or can be found in his books. Most of the time though they are spoken-word, so you are very correct in saying that it reads as a spoken-word piece. He's also an Australian Hip Hop artist.

• hiraeth
    8 years ago

Ah, I should check him out! I came across bliss n eso many months ago, and have a soft spot for australian hip-hop, so i'll definitely check him out.

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

I conjecture that the man is, first and foremost, a human being who may hold bigoted ideology in the abstract yet recognizes the humanity in each individual. Internal conflict, yes, but that is what it is to be human.

Second, it is possible he believed the message at an earlier time in his life, but has departed that path, leaving the permanent markings on his body of a temporary belief.

Third, it is possible that his children soften him. Perhaps it is impossible for him to inhabit the same skin while in their presence.

Fourth, most subtle, his beliefs have modified only to the point that he believes the best way to ensure his children's future is by enlightened self-interest, including peaceful coexistence.

• PnQ Mod Account
    8 years ago

There is a mixed feeling in this poetry it has all the ingredients of malice like Mark said and at the same time it has that want-ness of a coexistence and peace. Interesting poem..to write what you speak and speak what you write.

Meena