Weekly Contest Results, 24 July 2017

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Human emotions at their best are noble and enlightening. The judges found favor with Frank’s depiction of tragic empathy, Ben’s observation as to denial and survival and Reelo’s complex paean to his loved one. Each of these works ennobles their subject and enlightens the reader in doing so. Congratulations and good work for the HMs, as well.

Front Page Winners:
    Tears by Frank 17 points
    Too dark out there by Ben Pickard 14 points
    What Are We Waiting For? By Reelo 14 points

Honorable Mentions:
    The Womb and the Tomb by Ben Pickard 10 points
    Understand (Song for Chester... Linkin Park) by Scrittore 10 points
    Voluntary Amnesia by mossgirl19 10 points
    The Straight And Narrow by Michael 8 points
    Canvas by Jamie 7 points
    I Will Debunk The Rainbows End by Ben Packard 7 points
    The mysterious pisces by mysticpieces 4 points
    Treevolution by Aries Rising 4 points

Tears by Frank (10 points)
    Frank always has a real way with words and moves me like no one else and this write just moved me each of the dozen times I read it and though there's a somber feel to it there's also (in my opinion) an optimistic piece towards the end because it's tears he cries instead of his love which I feels how close they are. Maybe I'm wrong but it's still just one of those pieces I could always read and never get bored of.

Tears by Frank (7 points)
    How can a thing of sadness, tears as they are, be beautiful? Frank amazes in this beautiful piece as he describes wonderfully, in truly captivating words and sequence the tears that he is bleeding. The sadness is intensified by the pace of this profound piece. A sad but beautiful write.

Too dark out there by Ben Pickard (7 points)
    Here we have one of many poems nominated of Ben's this week and for me this stood out more than his others because not many short pieces especially this exceptional get much praise (if memory serves me right) and this one like many of Ben's pieces felt like I could have written it myself because it's too relatable and his mood always seems to mirror mine and many others on this site. I do believe this piece says a lot in the three lines (four with the title) allocated to the form. Depression has a way of making us feel all alone in a group of loved ones yet makes us happy when we are actually alone and able to shut out the word just as this piece suggests.

Too Dark out There by Ben Pickard (7 points)
    I love that the writer used the tragic emotion - so many people would love the light to come in, but he understands the only way it can happen is through transparency, vulnerable, openness that one isn't exactly ready for or comfortable in. Beautiful little piece of poetry that made me think. Well done!

What Are We Waiting For? By Reelo (10 points)
    Of all the things I have read this week (nominated and not) this I my favorite.
    I love!!! how your love captures the essence of that person and how your perception of that person is quite beautifully captured within your words.
    A beautiful and heart warming write that is eloquently conveyed.
    Well done

What Are We Waiting For? By Reelo (4 points)
    Love's ardor serves love's vision. The mixture of acceptance and devotion here is wonderful. Flawed yet awesome. That's pretty much the way mature love works.

The Womb and the Tomb by Ben Pickard (10 points)
    This is that old school poetry you see in books in your English class, that makes "normal" people fall asleep, and writers heart's soar. It was technical, it was full of imagery, it was full of impact, and it gut punched my emotions. You can tell it's obviously a deeply person piece, but one I could take my own story into and create something out of it. This is art. This is beautiful.

Understand (Song for Chester... Linkin Park) by Scrittore (10 points.)
    This is indeed an awesome tribute to a person who apparently has inspired the writer hugely. I love the heart-touching message, how the writer resounded with this artist’s feelings/emotions and calls for understanding…of him and what he may have done. It is a very sad ending for a much loved and respected artist. He’s one of a kind. Great piece!

Voluntary Amnesia by mossgirl19 (10 points)
    Denial, contrary to common belief, is actually a healthy response to the unbearable by the mind. It shuts things away until they can be dealt with later after the original catastrophe has passed. What I particularly like about this poem is the deliberate and engineering style in which the shutting out is accomplished. The final lines express understanding, and grief, at the cost.

The Straight and Narrow by Michael (4 points)
    Ha! This poem had a sweet and sassy twist at the end, and that alone is getting my vote. I appreciate the lightheartenedness, especially after the beginning felt so heavy. I was so intrigued and it took me another way. Definitely fun. We often find ourselves seemingly alone but there is always someone out there willing to give us company - and when it's unhealthy, we run! I love this poem. Awesome job!

The Straight And Narrow By Michael (4 points)
    On reading this I had visions of a man walking down a forest path with only his thoughts for company, the wind rustling the leaves of trees creating eerie whispers.
    With regards the last stanza, it is true sometimes we can be alone and yet we will not be lonely,
    A very well worked and captivating piece

Canvas by Jamie (7 points)
    Excellent expression of release: from the strictures laid on the speaker by the deceased, and more importantly, from the self-image absorbed by the speaker as a result of buying into the deceased negative image.

I Will Debunk The Rainbows End By Ben Packard (7 points.)
    Mr Packard as many will know is one of our most esteemed members. The quality, diversity and range of his work is something to behold.
    To say he sets the bar is true. Not so much in setting it for others but for himself. When you read his previous works you are inclined to think "you can't top that or match that". Yet time and time again he does.
    Once again an amazing poem, by an amazing wordsmith.

The mysterious pisces by mysticpieces (4 points)
    I am glad this young lady has decided to join our ever growing poetry site especially with wonderful pieces such as this. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea but teas overrated anyway and
    we need more realistic (I use the term loosely) poets gracing us with their creative presence.

Treevolution by Aries Rising (4 points)
    A poem with a great message. I have to say the title by itself is really awesome. The author spoke as an advocate of the tree. I love the concern for nature that this poem embodies. It has wonderful rhyming and flowed well too. A beautiful write about nature.

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Incredible work this week so congratulations to everyone highlighted and nominated.
    Many thanks to the judges for their time and lovely comments.
    All the best as ever.

• Britt
    6 years ago

Congratulations, winners & HMs! Awesome job judges & mods!

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Congrats to all the winners and HM's I'm simply stunned to be amongst your ranks this week. Well done all these were some belters.

The list reads like the new years honours list, respect and thank you to all behind the scenes for putting the graft in.

Also gotta say a massive thank you to little miss Maple Tree aka Andrea for nominating Treevolution in the first place.

Peace out

Craig

• Michael
    6 years ago

Big congratulations to all the winners, including all HMs given. Once again some incredible pieces of work. Well done all!

Thank you to the judges for their time and awarding a HM with my poem

Much love

Michael :)

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all our winners and fellow HMs. Thank you Craig for nominating my poem. Lots of thanks to our judges and mods as well. Great week guys.

• BlueJay
    6 years ago

Incredible week, I enjoyed each and every poem mentioned! Great job!

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations every one on all these amazing writes. Everybody really rocked it.

• ddavidd
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Thanks to the judges to the host and to the sweetest girls EM, Mossgirl and also Aries Rising for nominating me.

• ddavidd
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

By the way
    It is funny last week all girls and this week all boys. I mean is good to know we still can catch up.

• Em
    6 years ago

I keep thinking I've posted what I wrote coming back and I haven't anyhow.

Thanks Larry for posting, judges for your hard work and congratulations to all front page winners and HMs

Al the best and good luck for this week