Weekly Contest Winners - February 26, 2018!

• PnQ Mod Account
    6 years ago

Hello! Hope everyone has a good start to the week. Congratulations to our winners and HM's! And a big shout-out to our judges for their diligence and time this term. This week, we see an introspective nature piece from Ben, that talks of evolving and growth along with the constant change of nature. We also see Nour's heartbreaking yet brave piece as she shares memories through photos. We finally see Mark's selfless devotion to his mother, written with tender love and care. Congrats again and sending you all peace! :)

~MaryAnne

WINNERS:

“To Paint the Crowd with Roses” by: Ben Pickard 10 + 10 = 20 points
    “Photo Album” by: nourayasmine 7 + 7 + 4 = 18 points
    “Dearest Mother (Mother's Day)” by: Mark = 10 points

COMMENTS:

“To Paint the Crowd with Roses” by: Ben Pickard

“Just as I think there is nothing new that can come from the talented Ben Pickard he proves me wrong with this marvelous gem of a poem. This for me far surpassed his sonnet also nominated this week. At a time when we are increasingly experiencing cold weather and wondering if Summer will ever come, this poem paints a picture of hope and a lovely transition from Winter to Summer and helps brings just a little Summer smile into my heart. Especially with that phenomenal last stanza

"Embrace the warmth - the Summer comes, it lifts a lowly cloud. I will resolve and will become a rose that paints the crowd". Sheer genius.....” (10)

- - - - - - - -

“This is one beautiful rhyming piece. It has the beauty of a classic English poem. Strength, beauty and perfection all in one.” (10)

“Photo Album” by: nourayasmine

“If one had no clue to the back story this poem would be a powerful lament. Knowing that the lad lost his life fighting in Syria, that the author is denied the right to properly mourn, the poem takes on much more depth and pathos.” (7)

- - - - - - - - - -

“The circumstance of this poem makes it all so difficult to comment let alone judge. I truly understand the anguish and the mounting pain this has brought upon you and I pray that time will help you to heal and see that he is still with you…take care (hugs)” (7)

- - - - - - - - - -

“The grief I sense in this poem, it overwhelms me. You have captured those moments very well as the pain resurfaces each time one looks back at each photograph, re-lives each memory, and the amount of destruction the death of a loved one causes. And your pain to not be able to cry at funerals - it got to me.” (4)

“Dearest Mother (Mother's Day)” by: Mark

“This is a beautiful dedication of undying love for a mother. A beautiful relationship with one's mother mother deserves to be treasured in one's heart, and you have taken the treasures of your heart one-step forward to project your feelings in your words. You have captured it all beautifully: the love, the warmth, the selflessness, and also the lullabies. Wonderfully written.” (10)

HM’S:

“Interlude: Genuine Human Connection” by: Elizabeth = 10 Points

“Scar Tissues” by: Rosy Cheeks and Irony = 10 points

“Memorabilia” by: Thomas = 7 points

“The Mighty Acorn” by: Ben Pickard and Maple Tree = 7 points

“This Place…” by: Michael = 7 Points

“Ascending at last” by: deeplydesturbed = 4 points

“Breeze” by Jason = 4 Points

“Mine” by: Maher = 4 points

“unquietness” by: Karla = 4 Points

COMMENTS:

“Interlude: Genuine Human Connection” by: Elizabeth

“There is a lot of regret here, but the longing for just one more encounter, however unlikely and fruitless, brings a tinge of poignancy that resounds into the cavernous emptiness she experiences.
    “Most days slip silently, calmly into the abyss / Guilty only of the crime of being forgettable. “
    Powerful yet nostalgic.” (10)

- - - - - - - -

“Scar Tissues” by: Rosy Cheeks and Irony

“This is sadness at its best and it’s made up of all that which could hurt a person along with the goodness and the memories too. I liked the smooth flowing read and subtle rhymes and especially liked the visuals which played with my mind… touching write.” (10)

- - - - - - - - -

“Memorabilia” by: Thomas

“The remnants of a failed relationship; the bits are indeed, left scattered here and there: in our hearts, in our lives and also among our things too. I adore how you move around with your words here. I can still feel the raw feeling of the long lost relationship in your verses, the bitter-taste of the unpleasant memories, the pain from the collapse of the castle of one's dreams, and the what if's that remain along with all the things still leftover in the cupboards and drawers. The way you rise emotions and feelings in me deserves applause. Well done.” (7)

- - - - - - - - -

“The Mighty Acorn” by: Ben Pickard and Maple Tree

“A powerful piece of poetry, exuding so much strength and beauty. The journey of the acorn and the hope that it gave to me as the reader, its one memorable imprint in my heart. It speaks not only for Robyn but also to every heart there is. With wonderful metaphors and rich vocabulary, this is undoubtedly a great collab.” (7)

- - - - - - - - - -

“This Place…” by: Michael

“Another poetic extravaganza by Michael With great rhyming and colourful flow. I think it sums up very well the essence of the site. He packs in so much from topics to emotions, different styles of poetry and celebrates the differences between poetic minds. Muses about the tales and truths that are revealed, from wars and grief and cruelties. Then moves on to share the true beauty of P&Q that its a place to share and learn and a haven when things get tough, a place where friendships grow and truths are revealed. Finally at the close - a line that is not only topical in addressing what is really important but is also full of wisdom and truth.” (7)

- - - - - - - - -

“Ascending at last” by: deeplydesturbed

‘Turns around to see shadows gone
    Even that has chosen to abandon
    A lonely person walking at dawn
    Wondering where it all went wrong’

^^”For me this is the most gripping part for one who
    is dealing with sadness. To feel the abandonment
    even by one’s shadow takes the reader into the depths
    of the loneliest of the lonely…a moving write…take care.” (4)

- - - - - - - - - - -

“Breeze” by Jason

“A gentle calming poem that allows the reader to journey on a soft breeze. As soon as I started to read it meditation came to mind. I could really imagine myself meditating with the soft sound of a mountain stream playing in the background with a gentle voice taking me on a tranquil relaxing journey to peace. It is something that I would definitely listen to just before going to sleep because the imagery is so beautiful and relaxing.” (4)

- - - - - - - - -

“Mine” by: Maher

“A soothing piece of poetry, eloquently expressing the positivity that love makes a person feel. A real pleasure to read especially with its smooth rhyming. I appreciate the rawness of the content just as it is, as the most simple expression of love is the most touching of all.” (4)

- - - - - - - - -

“unquietness” by Karla

“The vagueness of this piece creates a world in itself. To whom is the poem directed? A lover? A child gone beyond bounds? A parent? I had to look up rificulous in the urban dictionary to find it is something so beyond ridiculous that it laughs at fiction.” (4)

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations to the front page winners and HM's. Another week of diverse writing. Mary Anne thank you for hosting and the judges as always making the tough choices and taking time out of their busy lives to make this site what it is.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Congrats to Ben, Noura & Mark and to the hms.
    Thanks, MA for hosting/
    Congrats. Judges, for completing this term. You can out yourselves if you wish, but there is no compulsion to do so.

• Karla
    6 years ago

thanks judge. i am honoured. congrats everyone!

• naaz
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Once again, thanks to our judges and our moderators too for their valuable time and choosing such good poems.
    All the poems were really really good and hard to choose, but honest decisions made by our judges and mods.

A sonnet, free verse and a rhyme.

Congratulations to everyone, even to those who were nominated.

All the best!

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Congratulations to the winners, HMs and nominees :-)
    Thanks to Mary Anne for hosting, to the mods and judges for their time this term and to Michael for my nomination. Great stuff! :-) x
    =^.^=

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Congrats to our front page winners as well as our HMs. Beautiful pieces of poetry this week. I can say every one is just leveling up!

Thank you judges and mods, you are always appreciated!

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi All :)

Congratulations to all the writers with their front page splash with winning poems. To all the HMs awarded, including mine.

To all the writers that nominated my poems this week. Thank you

and of course the job those judges do week in week out, Wonderful job

Much love
    Michael :)x

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Firstly, I would just like to say thank you again to Andrea for having me on a poem of hers which deals with such a personal and difficult subject. I have to say, it wasn't easy to write from an emotional point, but Andrea is - from a poetical point - as easy to write with and as encouraging as anybody could be. Still, she doesn't need me eulogising about her obvious merits as a person and talents as a poet - we all know what they are. So a massive thank you to the judge who commented on that poem.
    Thank you also to the judges who felt 'To paint the crowd...' worthy of their top marks; congratulations to all poems nominated, and highlighted this week and a final thank you to all of the judges for their interesting and varying comments over the last few months.

All the best

• Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Congrats everyone, front page and hm.
    Thanks to our judges and mods for all their efforts. Thanks to Mel, Brenda, Hellon, Andrea for their support. Hellon thanks again for nominating my poem.

• Maple Tree
    6 years ago

Ben, thank you for being a huge support to me, and for writing with me as well. Robyn loves it. ..

Thank you judge for the lovely comment...

Congratulations to everyone