Weekly Contest Results September 12

• PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Hello there! My deep apologies for the very late post! I'll abort the intro and leave you with the judge's comments. Well done Ben, Joseph and our Piano Poet for winning the judges' hearts, beautiful mix on the front. HM's you've also mastered your poems, thank you for writing and sharing with us! This week we had 5 judges and a sub judge voting in which means 6 voters; due to communication misunderstanding. We are sorry for the inconvenience. The site broke a tie between Penblwydd Hapus Freddie and Transience.

EDIT: (Rania here*)

********** COMMENTS**********

Dressed in pixie dust by Ben Pickard 7 + 10 = 17 points

This is a magical writing. An apt title for a beautiful writing. The beauty of love has Very well been captured in this piece. I have three words to easily describe this: simple, magical, beautiful. (7)

~~~~~~~~~~

This is a wistful piece that the reader can immerse themselves in even though it is not particularly long. I found the imagery to be lovely and it gave me a vision of forest sprites and fairies.

The rhyming is fantastic. It is gentle and has a very smooth flow to it which does not seem forced in the slightest.

A total pleasure to read. (10)

It's still empty here by Poet on the Piano 7 + 7 = 14 points

There isn't much I can say about this apart from I've lost many pets along the way and they'll always be etched into my heart.. This definitely tore at my heart strings as I'm sure it will be uod many others. (7)

~~~~~~~~~~

I read this piece a few times to absorb the how the author has described the feeling of losing someone very close. The author pens this poem with such sad ink, which I am sure many of us can relate to.
    The grief expressed here, is of missing that certain person at times of sleep- talking of ‘restless nights’ and ‘mornings tasting flat, like the suns given up’ The author uses their senses as a reminder, and how memories haunt us, so to speak.
    Bringing the end to a colourless state.
    A very sad and beautifully written piece. (7)

Penblwydd Hapus Freddie (Happy Birthday Freddie (by Joseph kerr) 7 + 4 = 11 points

Everyone views poetry from different perspectives and many will have a favorite style and subject matter.
    Some will simply read something and think that what they are reading is fantastic, regardless of the style in which it was written.

This was the case with me in this instance. As a life long Queen fan I couldn't help but like this poem.

Analytically, I found the way it tied lyrics and song titles together in a rhyming format to be 1st class. A very clever and entertaining work of reminiscence.

Well done (7)

~~~~~~~~~~

I liked this poem when I first read it but I've read it a few more times and have found something more extraordinary about it which made it stand out this week for me. A fantastically rhymed piece for one of the best showmen ever even to this day (4)

~~~~~~~~~~

Freddie Mercury was a genius and were he alive now, we would be enjoying not only his back catalogue, but new works of genius. This poem is clever, weaving some of the better-known titles through it. A lovely tribute and worthy of highlighting. (4)

******* HMs**********

Transience by nameless 7 + 4= 11 Points

When exactly did the relationship start declining? This poem describes it in wonderful detail. Slowly, so as not to be noticed, like a dripping tap, perhaps? Later, of course, once the wrong turn has been taken, the ‘sedan’ splits, becoming two paths/nomads going in different directions.
    Great metaphors describe this superb sad reflection. (7)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A metaphoric delight by nameless this week.

The wording and deep message mixed within each visual display is breathtaking!!
    To be alone and interlocking sadness within each other, finding something hidden and yet losing are mere existence... oh this poem has me on a roll... just lovely! (4)

“Passing trains” by: Walter 10 points

I so enjoyed this delightful piece of writing. The author tells the story of two strangers caught in a rainy storm, and both ended up in the same café.
    Such a reflection of life and when two paths cross, for what ever reason. I felt as I was reading that a sort of ‘love story’ was unfolding, even if for a moment.
    The rhyme scheme flowed well for me. I wonder if this is a true account of the author’s experience, or a fantasy of what they would feel if such situation occurred.
    But again a lovely piece to read and well done.

Dust of white lies by Ya—Na 10 Points

Another very beautiful writing here! It's sad and enigmatic both at the same time. Sometimes I'm caught in the dilemma of these comments to be made - whether to appreciate the beautiful writing or be taken into the sadness that many of these pieces exude, and I'm lost as to what to truly write.

Belonging by Tanya Southey 10 Points

52 days, 52 words describing how each and every one of us play an important part in this world.
    If we think making a difference is the responsibility of others, then think again. If we search ourselves, we will find a core leading to a fiery truth: we are all part of this earth and so are all responsible for its’ outcome.

Just being with you by Michael 10 points

BEAUTIFUL

Nature mixed with love, magical word usage and the heart of the author is a combination of wonderful, breathtaking poetry!

This poem had me at the first word and speechless by the ending stanza, intoxicating poem to say the least. Just beautiful!!

A day to remember…by - Mr. Darcy 10 Points

An extremely poignant write which has stuck in my head from the moment I read it which is why I'm giving it my 10 this week.

Rant (by deeplydisturbed) 4 +4 = 8 Points

The author of this piece states right at the beginning that it's not even poetry. However I think it is poetry in its truest, raw form.

"We break, we crumble, but we pick ourselved up,
    we straighten our path, only for Death to come knocking."

This is poetry indeed.

That the author feels so much for the loss of others that she has most likely never met and never will is very touching.

very thoughtful and well written (4)

~~~~~~~~~

I enjoy poems that are some times just written in a natural way, as this one has. The author has expressed how they are feeling in regards to so much grief and loss, and takes us into their own journey and the difficulties faced in their own life. The author has reflected on other poets ( here on PnQ) and shows how close a site can be, with its members in such times.
    A deep and sad piece, that tells only too well the of times of grief and the struggles that come with death and loss. (4)

Noises of our past
    by Ya----Na
    7 points

Allowing the past to consume something beautiful is a pain I think we have all experienced a time or two. I cant stop reading this poem, it allows me to sink into memories of my own.

Such a beautifully written poem, the nature tones and sorrow are mixed in a very tasteful way..
    excellent!

spellbound by Michael. 4 Points

Although I did not really understood what was the concept behind the carving of her name which is "Gypsy", I found this writing very breath taking. it was more of a ballet routine I was watching rather than reading poetry. I was completely captured by the imagery and did not once feel that it was anything else. Well done.

• Michael
    5 years ago

Hi All :)
    Thank you Rania for hosting,

Congratulations to the winners and HM's awarded :)

Thank you to the judges for their time each and every week, and the judges who left lovely comments on my poems, much appreciated.

Thank you to Dagmar and Scott for nominating

Much love, M:)x

• naaz
    5 years ago

Love, love, love...from me

for winners, HM's, judges, moderators, each and everyone.

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Some wonderful poetry this week and a really original write from new member Joseph; great to see it on the front page. Well done MA, too - equally good if entirely different. Well done to all the hms and anyone nominated and thank you to the judges for their comments and continued time and effort.

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Thank you Rania for hosting and our new group of judges for your time and hard work making the tough choices. Stellar writes all around-

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

congratulations to all winners and fellow HM's. A special, thank you to the judge who awarded my poem, 10 points! I am chuffed :O) Also, thank you to all who help to make this weekly contest viable.

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Thank you so much to the judges and any poet who commented or sent their thoughts my way. The loss of a pet, a family member, is so noticeable and I'm still not used to how different things are when I come home and don't find him curled up. But I'm going through old videos and photos of when we first got him which is bringing a smile to my face.

Amazing win to Ben and a new member, Joseph. Welcome to PnQ!

Thank you to Rania for hosting... and congrats to all the HM's. Take care everyone <3

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Happy for the winners
    Grateful to the judges for showering so much love.
    Thanks to our Moderators and to all the beautiful members for the nomination.
    Much love for pnq family

S

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Congrats to the winners and HMs. As for judges, the more the merrier! Thanks to all.
    Thanks, Rania for hosting.

Larry