Rapid Writing

• Avrii Monrielle
    15 years ago

Do any of you practice rapid writing?

Definition of speed writing:
    "Rapid writing is similar to the laundry list method in that no attempt is made to organize ideas as they are written down. To use this method, set a timer for three to five minutes, and start writing. Continue writing until the timer dings. Keep your pencil moving or your fingers typing during the entire time period, even if you have to write "I can't think of anything to write" or over and over again." -- sdtstate.edu

I enjoy rapid writing and have been trying it out for the past two days. It has helped me crunch for essays and evade the occasional writer's block I get when trying to write a poem.

• Avrii Monrielle
    15 years ago

What did they usually write about? I bet that any speed writing could build a conversation...

Thanks for the link. I like the challenge =]

• Avrii Monrielle
    15 years ago

Omg lol.. that's a good write ;]
    your teacher must have loved hearing these essays. i wish my english teacher let us speak of essays like that to the class :)

The way that those essays are constructed and certain parts are emphasized makes me want to try rapid writing more ;]

• TheRevelation
    15 years ago

That sounds very fun and productive for scaring away writer's block! I have to try that!

• Dark Secrets
    15 years ago

Ya I like that... it helps a lot

• TwistedAngel xx
    15 years ago

Yeah that is what I do most of the time for my poem writing.
    I also like to listen to songs and write key phrases from the lyrics and they help with poem titles too.

xx

• Krathia
    15 years ago

It does help a lot when the muse is dry... Espiecially in the diary, when you feel like you've done nothing all day.

• Vix
    15 years ago

There's lots of names for this sort of writing. A lot of the Beats were known for using this method. Its a great way to tap into thoughts you might not have known you had.

Sometimes it's useful to program yourself into doing three or even ten minutes of free writing (rapid writing) everyday, but then refusing to re-read or edit what you have written until the end of each week. At the end of the week if you sift through what you have done, having given yourself some time to detach from what you've written you can look back more productively at what you've produced and pick out anything you like, continue it, develop the ideas you have down.

• David ODonnell
    15 years ago

I've heard a little about this style of writting but wasn't to sure if it was for me. So you just write anything and not think about it till something interesting occurs?

• Vix
    15 years ago

You can treat it anyway you like really, but a lot of people see it as a sort of 'stream of consciousness' (and yes...that term is technical and used by academics).

Basically you write with as little conscious thought to what you are writing as is possible. You do not stop to make corrections or edit what you have written. You just write. Pure and simple. Your words made not even make coherent sentances or sense, but that's fine.

Its your choice whether you set yourself a timer or just write until your really do run out of things to say. I advise a timer, its less preassure and stops you running your battery down too much.

You can either look back at what you've written there and then or store it away for a while and look at it with fresher eyes in a week or month. Its up to you.

A lot of writers do this just to exercise their minds.

• My Mistakes
    15 years ago

Hi

• David ODonnell
    15 years ago

So when you 'rapid write' is it best to not focus on it and look away or concentrate on the words?

• HumanAngel
    15 years ago

I've used it when I have loads of words and emotions running through my head and I don't know where to start putting them into poetry writing.

It's a great way to process your thoughts.

• Vix
    15 years ago

You're free to focus or zone out, of course, but traditionally rapid writing or free witing is meant to be a constant flow of almost subconcious thought.

• Muhammad Junaid
    15 years ago

No i havnt really tried it so far

• Muhammad Junaid
    15 years ago

I dont eally know what does fast writing means

• Muhammad Junaid
    15 years ago

I dont eally know what does fast writing means

• adriaan
    15 years ago

I think they mean "speed writing".

• Avrii Monrielle
    15 years ago

Yes, that is another name this method goes by.