Swearing in the forums... :)

• Michelle
    19 years ago

Hi guys..hope you wont think I'm a bad guy here..but Janis doesn't want swearing on the site..even if it's done so that you can't actually see the word, so the mods each have a category..and yep..you guessed it! This is mine..anyway, any post with swearing will be deleted just for a heads up...We all agree with the rule and hope I'm not gonna offend anyone..Im sure some people are gonna be irritated and I'm sorry for that...but I'm sure ya'all can come up with other words..I mean of course, I shouldnt but I can cuss with the best of em if I get angry, but it just cant be done here...Thanks guys..Michelle :) :) :)

• Heather M Craig
    19 years ago

nah Michelle, no offense tooken...its better in most cases anyhow...Blessings to you..

• Michelle
    19 years ago

thanks you guys...:)

• Lipton
    19 years ago

Well, I guess... define swearing.

Some people find the word "crap" or "freaking" offensive, but I don't.

~Ciao Lipton

• Michelle
    19 years ago

Hey there...we asked about this too and basically the answer was anything that IS swearing, not slang..even mild swearing counts from what we gathered...crap, freaking will be left ...take it easy all :) :) :)

• Lipton
    19 years ago

Really, we are all writers (or at least aspiring ones) here. Why can't we use more descriptive words anyway? I think that people that cuss just don't have a good enough vocabulary. Sorry if that sounds mean.

~Ciao Lipton

• Michelle
    19 years ago

Thanks Lipton, you share my opinion!! :)

• Kevin
    19 years ago

You know whats strange, if i said the word "crap" to my Gran she'd flip out and beat me up because ehs considers it a sweer word.

It is a bit rude to swear on public forum where young children could be reading...but if you actually had to define what a swear word, and where some of them cross over into cultural slang...it would be tricky.

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

I dont agree with this at all Michelle though I do commend you for the work you are doing.

• Michelle
    19 years ago

why dont you agree(just asking not arguing!) That said, it's not my rule just enforcing the forum rules and all, just so yaknow!! :) take care all, Michelle and ps..thanks! :)

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

Fair enough Michelle
    The reason I don't agree is because I guess I tend to express myself on the occassion using profanity. Another reason I dont agree is because its swearing considering the stories and poetry on this site about the reallities of rape, child molestation, physical and mental abuse just to name but a few I dont think that swearing is that big an issue considering some of the other topics young members here are esxposed to. Im not saying either that I find a problem with those topics or the like that I have mentioned just that there is more important issues to worry about is all. Especially when you take a step back and think about the other things they can be exposed to on the web and even on the daily news...

• Heathergirl
    19 years ago

I dont think people should swear in the forums

• Lipton
    19 years ago

Eirisa, I haven't seen many, if any at all, topics here in the forum about child molestation, rape, and whatever else. There are POEMS about that, and they are in a neat little section called, "Explicit Poems".

~Ciao Lipton

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

Im not talking specifically about the forums Lipton but about this site in general...I have seen quite a few posts in relation to the above things mentioned but more predominantly suicide and self mutilation, are these supposed to be any more healthy for the minds of the younger members of this site?
    Its pretty easy for even the simplest person to access the explicit poetry section and there is no security that actually prevents children from accessing the explicit poems section either...like I said earlier Lipton I just believe there is plenty more important things the moderators can be doing - like the prevention of the harrassment of PNQ members just for a start...

Thanks for your response Lipton - Eirisa -

• Michelle
    19 years ago

Eirisa, I agree there is a great deal more that could be done..but if Janis even MADE those things enforceable it would really limit the site wouldnt it? :) right now, people can write about pretty much anything that bothers them...limit it too much and you limit their ability to vent their emotions...we cant do much about the swearing in poems at the moment and you're right kids are exposed to tons of things there, but we can't control that..and if we could..well..see above so I dont repeat myself I guess...I hear what you're saying tho....anyway thanks for the support everyone..have a good one! :)Michelle ps..Im not always on as much as I like so wont catch it all anyway..but I'll do my best :) Michelle

• Lipton
    19 years ago

No problem. Thanx for clarifying that.

It's refreshing to have a discussion with someone, and it not end in anger. =)

~Ciao Lipton

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

It is too refreshing Lipton - thankyou for a stimulating discussion :o) Looking forward to many more

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

Thankyou Michelle for your response...I appreciate that you and Lipton have noted my point of view and inturn respect both of yours.
    I understand what your trying to Michelle and I know its for the best for the majority (which I have never considered myself to be a part of LoL) But it is. As I said earlier Michelle I really do commend what your attempting to do and wish you all the best with it, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help...

Regards and Luv Eirisa

• Michelle
    19 years ago

awwwwwwww Eirisa I totally agree with you and Lipton..it's EXTREMELY refreshing to have this sort of discussion about anything...you see so much of the other on here...it's too sad when we all just want the same things basically...anyway thanks again, Im thinkin you guys are pretty great:) Michelle

• Lipton
    19 years ago

Aw. =) Thanx! You don't sound so bad yourself. I wish everyone on this site was this mature. Wow, we would get so many things accomplished without the insults and everything. Anyway, yeah...

So, swearing in the forums... Any ideas? lol

~Ciao Lipton

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

Hey girls - you're both really great people coming back and reading this thread made me smile :o)

Hmmm as for ideas - nope I'm blank there LoL