Still My Secret

• LittleMissReality
    14 years ago

I have been on here for a while now and have been writing poems for EVER and still have not told ANYONE that i write poems.. I kinda feel bad about keeping it a secret.. does anyone else keep it a secret from their friends?

But I guess i'm not that great anyways

• forevertobeart
    14 years ago

I don't keep it a secret, but I don't jump to tell people either. If they want to know they can ask me. I don't display my work for everyone to see, as I don't feel it's worth much. Only my family and a select few friends whom I hardly talk to anymore know.

• KJ
    14 years ago

You shouldn't feel bad, after all it's your own world of imagination, the fount of your thoughts, and to tell or not to tell is really your own business.

^^Yes, I would have to agree. Not everyone like to share that they write. For some, it is a way to just get away/vent; and most hold it sacred. I don't broadcast the fact that I write. I dont even submit most of my poems on this site. I just share the ones that I would like to share, and keep the others for me.

• Indian Comma Bean
    14 years ago

Maybe five of my friends know about my work, my family doesn't know, other than that the world is oblivious!

• Krista
    14 years ago

I just don't tell a lot of people about my poetry. My parents don't know I write... I'm hoping this poetry unit that we're doing in English will help me express myself more and become more confident in my poetry.

• Unamed
    14 years ago

Me neither...i feel like they r gonna make fun of me. and maybe thats a silly reaction....but idk.. i just keep them private. and i dnt think im that good..soo

lol
    Aly

• Kuro
    14 years ago

Writing poetry is a very introspective thing to do. only other introspective people would understand what it means to write poetry and truly value it as art.

also it takes a certain level of sophistication to appreciate some of the finer subtleties, metaphors, and philosophies.

while some people would rather go play football or make friends and meet new people, there are others who would rather read a good book or study differences between various societies or instead of enjoy listening to music, create the satisfaction of making your own original piece. i'm talking about two different worlds.

and you won't always meet someone who will understand.

however if it is hinted in conversation i will speak my mind. and with MY friends its it not nessecarily uncommon, ...

but it is a bit odd. kinda like your talking about what you wrote in your diary or something

• courtney
    14 years ago

I told a guy i was dating once and he wanted me to make a book that made me angry so i dont tell people now unless they ask

• nmdoza
    14 years ago

All my friends know I write, but I don't really show them any of my work. But I've been trying to show my work more often because how else can I improve. If I want to be a writer or journalist, I have to be used to the idea of exposing my work and being able to handle any criticism. Joining this website was a good way for me to get started on having the confidence to show my work. I still don't show my friends alot of my work, but whenever I win any of the contests, I show it to them. And showing my friends my work really helped me improve because their opinions point out my weaknesses as well as my strengths. So now I know which things I need to work on, and which things I need to continue with. I just get frustrated however , when some people don't understand what I'm trying to get across because they take every line too literally. Some people don't understand what reading between the lines mean.
    -_-

• Beauty In The Breaking
    14 years ago

I used to not keep it a secret I wrote...I just didn't like anyone I knew reading it. I was always writing, it was how I survived but I felt it was to personal for my family and friends to read. Now...Most people know I write, I'm more open about letting people read my work if they want to since how else am I to improve? Some of my friends, even though they do kinda laugh at the idea, always ask to read my latest work since as they put it, it lets them see ME and who I am. I'm still secretive to a point about my writing, as in what I write about, and very selective who reads it and which ones but it's not a bad thing to write and I'm not ashamed so I stopped hiding it. I do love having people on here read it though, it's safer since no one honestly knows me so it's different when they judge me and my writing.

• SolemnWish
    14 years ago

Most of the time I keep it a secret but if people happen to find out I don't mind letting them read a bit. I just TRY to warn them that some might be a bit... graphic. ITs not a bad thing to write and albeit that it is ur choice, I believe that having honest opinions from people you actually know makes you both a better writer and makes you feel good about yourself. Thats the case with me anyway

• Malboros pipe
    14 years ago

I only tell friends who i know will respect for it. while other friends pressume that u think of something on the spot, but i feel good poetry takes time, but only tell people who u think will support u

• Tori Hicks
    14 years ago

My friends know but I don't show my work to them.

No one reads my poems even if I ask to go and look and them to give me feedback. :/

• mrsmoore
    14 years ago

As most said... You can do what you want, and tell whoever you want... but please telll those closest to you... its a good feeling and they will see you are deeper than they may take you as, and appreciate your creativity more.

For most of us this is our "safe haven" I believe, and it's good to have a place to let yourself go; to let out your creativity and feel good/bad/indiferent about it. make ourself happy.... friends come and go... your feelings are your feelings.. express your self the way you want to.

• Natalie84
    14 years ago

When I first started writing I didn't tell anyone...I was on this site for quite some time before anyone knew it! When I finally did let everyone know I didn't show them my stuff. After a while I opened up and began sharing. I waited until I was more comfortable. I think I was afraid someone would use it against me or maybe not like what I had to say.

I think anyone would just need to wait until they were comfortable with sharing. My family wasn't mad that I never told them, they got it...I guess. People can't be mad...some people write for years and don't tell anyone because it can be a personal thing. Enjoy it..learn it...share later...when you're ready for all that.

Good luck!! :)

• chind
    13 years ago

I used to keep it a secret, but then someone told me that i shouldnt hide it and he encouraged me to step out of the closet, so i did. haha i few of my closest friends know and my cousin - thats all. i think my sister found out about it, but that was a couple years ago!

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

It's not a secret that I keep, but I don't broadcast the news... then people might actually expect some evidence! And I'm generally too shy to share.

I encourage my friends to write poetry however.