Does a Poet, Need a Muse to Write!!!

• Robert Gardiner
    13 years ago

Question; Do you think a poet needs a muse to write or perhaps, write better with one. Now a Muse is defined in it's artistic application as: A source of inspiration (the source of an artist's inspiration). I personally think that a poet, artist does. You need something to inspire you -- whether it be an object, a person, an idea or ideal. I believe we need something to help our focus, to focus on when writing. We need something to motivate us to write and just simply, wanting to write, often time, isn't enough. We need something to stir our creative energy and to focus our energy upon and muses serve that purpose -- whether they be person, place, or thing. Recently, I wanted to pen another poem, but found I had nothing to write, that is, until I found my muse, and was able to write on. I feel an artist needs a muse, some type of spark to spark his or her work, creativity, genius!!!

What's your opinion, what do you think?

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

At times I need, emotions, feelings and a muse to inspire me. At this moment I have none of these things so a bad case of writers block is upon me. I don't depend strictly on a muse to motivate me to write. Writing at times is therapy for me, get the emotions and feelings out and dealt with, get ready for the next onslaught. lol

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

The comma in the title of this thread threw me off big time, haha.

I don't need a muse. If I can't think of anything to write about, I'll come up with 2 nouns that when meshed together could make an interesting story, then I run with it.

City Wilderness for example.

I thought of cities. I thought of jungles. Mix them together and what do you get?

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

Yeah, Britt the devil made you say it. lol Sounds like a front pager to me.

• abracadabra
    13 years ago

A muse- how romantic. How thoroughly poetic.

If a muse's power can live in anything- heavenly or earthly, noisy or muffled, liquid or invisible- then yes, a poet does need a muse to write.