Should we be able to tell racist jokes

• Nicko
    12 years ago

As a follow on to a previous thread..

Is the world too sanitized these days that we can't laugh about things and others?

or can we only laugh about ourselves?

Is humour leaving the world due to political correctness?

• Kevin
    12 years ago

I don't think rascist jokes are a good thing, even if on some level they are funny. If the race in question has suffered quite serious hatred because of their skin colour, then it's not cool in my opinion. It's a slippery slope that lets people feel the subject is amusing and acceptable.

I've not heard anyone tell a rascit joke in years, whereas I used to hear them all the time as boy.

Having said that, talking about rascism and how strange it is, in a funny way is totally acceptable, and in fact needed. Just watch any of the skits by Richard Prior to see what I mean.

I think it's ok to mock rascism as a subject (from the point of view that it's stupid).

My favourite standup comic, Doug Stanhope has some amazingly dark skits about abortion, which isn't a funny topic in the sense that people who find the subject emotionally upsetting shouldn't be mocked...but, the issues around abortion can be amusing.

He does this great sketch about calling up an anti abortion protester, who left a card under his car window wiper that had a picture of a dead foetus on it. He calls this dude up and accuses him of being a child molester, feeding into the fantasy of pre term necrophiliac child abusers.

It's surreal and very insightful.

Here is the skit...(warning it's very mature and adult in nature...fair warning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miQ1vnLInZg

• Nicko
    12 years ago

Yeah that skit is out there...

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

Kevin.. that was funny ><

Anyway, as for racist jokes, I don't think they're acceptable.. I mean they only cause harm to people of that race and offend them. The fact that we don't have them around anymore is a big ethical step for us as humans. But I agree with kevin that we can joke through the topic, after all, life is hard as it is and joking about these things helps us cope with that difficulty. It also at many times gives us solutions to the problems we face and gives people an insight to problems that exist and are not acknowledged in the world.

• Britt
    12 years ago

I personally think jokes are just that, jokes. I love comedians who make fun of everyone. There are broad generalizations about everyone that can be funny, and that's people of all color. It doesn't have to be spiteful. Like Asians being good at math and slow ass drivers. Obviously its not true for all, and its not offensive.. unless you get offended by being called a slow driver. In that case, drive the speed limit and quit whinin.

I like jokes about my own race (and gender) the most. But I haven't turned my brain into being so PC that I remain uptight about everything. People think everyone is out to get them, and maybe they are, so getting upset and offended is only adding fuel to their fire. Laugh it off, folks. It's not genocide, its a damn joke.

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

Sure, everyone should be "able" to tell whatever jokes they want, but I don't think that means that they actually "should."

My view on humor allegedly comes from G.K. Chesterton, by way of a Religion prof I had who was one of the kindest people ever. With that background, I think that humor is a positive thing when you are making fun of

1. Yourself
    2. People who are in places of equal/more power than you.

For example, it seems to be fine if you are telling jokes at the expense of kings, or the President, or The Housewives of New Jersey, or your company's boss. But would you make fun of starving kids in Somalia? Homeless people? Paraplegics? That seems to be where it crosses the line into cruelty, even if it's "witty."

Even if racist jokes aren't serious, they have the habit of reinforcing stereotypes. I think it's kind of our responsibility to stay away from them until it's certain that they wouldn't influence people toward becoming more racist. Like, there are jokes about the Irish being drunks, or whatever, but in America it's been so long since there were real anti-Irish sentiments that it's fairly harmless. I don't think the same can be said for groups of people who are still being persecuted or looked down upon.

• TSI25
    12 years ago

Im sort of... forced to point out the difference between shoulds coulds and woulds.

we shouldn't tell jokes about those of other races, nor should we make fun of anything really.

in fact if you think about it we shouldn't recognize the idea of race. we are all human beings, regardless of the color of our skin or what patch of land we were born on.

its precisely because it is forbidden that makes it fun for some people. much like the child who is opressed into good manners his entire life then goes to college and drinks himself into hospitalized, stomach pumping oblivion.

otherwise it is a means of rising above and beyond people, social Darwinism if you will. pushing people below you seems to prove that you are above them, while ironically, pompously stating that you are above that seems to raise you above both categories, and so on.

then again thats precisely what makes us human.

• Kevin
    12 years ago

If I hear one more person joke about how sexy the Scottish accent is...oooh..I'll crush a fookin grape! I mean, the humanity of it!

Stop with the stereotypes ladies! Yes, we are sexy...but we don't need the pressure!

• Michael D Nalley
    12 years ago

Http://youtu.be/5_5bmkWhL3o

Anyone who loves the right view on what racism is may be offended by the above you tube , but the talk show host seems to be condemning disrespecting people based on their race .yet condoning making fun of all those who disagree.. Can we vaporize a spirit or is it easier to vaporize a country that does not agree with our policies . Adolf Hitler played a significant role in the forming of the modern Zionist party by displacing aggression An antichrist would be anti-Semitic because the Christ Descended from the house of David . Even from a purely evolutionary stance racism is not rational when a race is not a game. Laughter is a far less dangerous emotion than anger.

Nationalism technically is not racism whether you believe Abraham was the father of a great nation or not .Brotherhood can be a serious issue

• silvershoes
    12 years ago

"I think it's ok to mock rascism as a subject (from the point of view that it's stupid)."

Have to agree with you there, Kev. I have friends of all colors, shapes, and sizes and my urban upbringings make race something absurd to the point of hilarity. It's a social construct used to oppress people to gain power, and if anyone seriously thinks race is scientific or tangible, that's sheer ignorance.
    I'm guilty of telling racist jokes and laughing at them so long as nobody is taking them seriously.

"I think that humor is a positive thing when you are making fun of

1. Yourself
    2. People who are in places of equal/more power than you."

This is a good formula to rule by, but being so, wouldn't you say making fun of someone's "race" fits the #2 guideline? EQUAL. We're all equal - or at least should be - that's why racists jokes are funny.
    Race hardly makes sense anyway. How many of you would consider President Obama black?

I know not everyone is as tolerant as I am and there are victims of real racism so know your crowd and know the atmosphere. When I meet someone who is racist, and not just prone to telling racists jokes, they go straight to the black list.

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

Yeah, I guess I should have said something along the lines of "historically held more power."

We could also talk more about how our concept of race really has no scientific basis in genetics. I'm more likely to have the most similar DNA to someone in central Africa than I am to someone from Norway.

• Nicko
    12 years ago

I think we are capable of telling racist jokes but still be able to respect that particular race as well, I mean the Irish have been the butt of jokes for decades if not longer. Now they probably use it to their benefit. I watched a Lebanese comedian on TV and he was taking the mickey out of the Arabs like there was no tomorrow

I think life can be about the lowest common denominator. We are one human race when it suits then we are one country then one race then one state one city or town right back to your family. It can be as much about the delivery as anything, some can get away with anything Billy Connelly being one

I think we have pushed the racist envelope to far yet I understand why its happened, yet I feel I must apologise for being European at times..

As a side note my kids are going to schools that are very multicultural and its like there are no races, its only when they get older that they will become more aware of it , which is unfortunate.

• Kevin
    12 years ago

If you had to eat a certain race of people, do you think they taste like their ethnic backgrounds?

• Larry Chamberlin
    12 years ago

No, but it might make a difference if they live upstream or downstream.

• Kevin
    12 years ago

Are you hungry for more chinese people 30 minutes later?

Are mexicans spicy?

White people taste like macaroni cheese?

I don't know.

• Selfrejected
    12 years ago

Should?
    If you wish to have freedom one must be able to say whatever they please, restricting freedom of speech in any form is detrimental. If you wish to ostracize such a person you are privy to that.

• Larry Chamberlin
    12 years ago

In an ideal world, you could tell the tackiest joke in good faith and no one would take offense.

In an ideal world grown men could mix with young girls and no one would have cause to worry.

In an ideal world every country would be ruled by wise and benevolent philosopher-presidents.

In an ideal world there would be no reason to debate whether a line has been crossed.

Until then, five moderators out of five would penalize a remark that crosses our judgment of when a remark or poem crosses that line.

• Selfrejected
    12 years ago

Was completely off topic.

This is your website and you have been "hired/asked" to moderate it with your rules. If the site owner dislikes people being racist then it makes perfect sense for you to moderate that. But if some racist guy is spewing non-sense just for the sake of doing so, in his own home, in public or even at a comedy club? Throwing that person in jail or fining them is an infringement on their right to free speech. I don't agree with what they say, but I will defend their right to say it.

• Michael D Nalley
    12 years ago

Who said I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your ... Though these words are regularly attributed to Voltaire, they were first used by ...?

www.sing365.com/.../Lenny-Bruce-lyrics
    Lenny Bruce lyrics performed by Bob Dylan. ... Lenny Bruce is dead but his ghost lived on and on

http://youtu.be/H2bGYSh2ec8

• Larry Chamberlin
    12 years ago

Michael: The Friends of Voltaire (1906), Evelyn Beatrice Hall [pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre]. Attributed it to Voltaire but she likely wrote it herself.

Ryan: I simply responded to your own comment: "one must be able to say whatever they please, restricting freedom of speech in any form is detrimental" which is true in an ideal world.

However, free speech has its limits. Personal responsibility for one's speech is vital. As Holmes famously stated, yelling 'fire' in a crowded theatre is punishable. Again, urging violence at a time when it could occur has been sanctioned.

Telling any racist jokes for the purpose of reinforcing or establishing scorn for a group of persons is a time honored method of contributing toward the dominance of this group. To unwittingly abet this process because you feel that you should be able to say whatever you please makes you privy to that subjugation.

Whether or not I am part of a group, I will defend to the death their right to be equal.

• Selfrejected
    12 years ago

However, free speech has its limits. Personal responsibility for one's speech is vital. As Holmes famously stated, yelling 'fire' in a crowded theatre is punishable. Again, urging violence at a time when it could occur has been sanctioned.

Another example of private property rights, I have nothing against a business or private property owner setting rules on their property. If you're going to use their establishments you have to respect the rules they put in place.

So, I guess me saying in any form is detrimental was a little bit extreme. I meant in a public manner.

• Mello193
    12 years ago

Racist jokes arent even funny

• Selfrejected
    12 years ago

"Racist jokes arent even funny"

I beg to differ, Dave Chappelle is pretty damn funny. Take everything with a grain of salt, having a stick up your butt can get uncomfortable real fast.

• Britt
    12 years ago

Loooool Ryan and Hellon. I'm with ya both!

• Lioness
    12 years ago

I think there are limits where people should reach telling racist jokes but I don't think that everyone who does tell a racist joke is in fact a racist.

Has anyone ever seen Russell Peters the comedian? He is great. He mocks everyone so no one is left out lol

He is as funny as anything!!!