Should this sex offender be put in jail for life, or worse?

• Kevin
    12 years ago

We can talk about those who abuse kids and for most people, thankfully it's a theorectical discussion. I was checking out some documentaries the other night, and I came across this, which shocked me more than almost anything I've seen online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C802Z5IIKH4&feature=related

Should he ever be allowed to walk the streets?

• Blackstar
    12 years ago

Sorry had double post

• Blackstar
    12 years ago

He would need to suffer in jail
    thats my opinion at least

Atm there's a murderer they cought him and they just want to kill him now for what he did.
    I think that's kinda stupid too.. just kill him easily and then it's over. He would need to suffer too in jail. not just easily die.

• Britt
    12 years ago

Can't watch the link from my phone, so ill try later. But I think if we sentence someone to life in prison and not use the death penalty, it sucks. They're on our dime. I don't think its necessary for people to sit and suffer, they always have a chance of parole with our skewed justice system, and I don't want some people back on the streets.

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

I generally would vote to have people spend life in prison, rather than get the death penalty. For some, I think life in prison would be the worse punishment. I would avoid the death penalty because it inevitably would end up killing people who were innocent. As long as they are alive, they have a chance at redemption.

One thing I definitely don't understand, though, is how people can have longer jail sentences for things like fraud or burglary than they sometimes do for rape or manslaughter. Doesn't make sense to me.

• Selfrejected
    12 years ago

I am a believer in restorative justice. A victim should be allowed to not use the state or the prison system and have the offender paying a fee over a life time. Why take someone out of the market? And get rid of capital just to have them soak up capital in a prison?

I can understand a victim wishing someone to be locked up in a jail cell for the rest of their life. But it shouldn't be up to property tax payers to do that for them.

• Solus
    12 years ago

The victim is already in a prison for life, there is no escape, no end until death. You live with it every day. It is a horror that only those who have suffered it know, but the wounds and scars are different in every case.

As for the offenders.....not even death is a cruel enough fate for them and every breath they take another insult to the wounded. In truth there is no easy anwser...but to those whe have suffered the words and thoughts of strangers are meaningless when you speak of the offenders rights.

• Noir
    12 years ago

Funny man... but sad reality...

As to the question, isn't the moral hysteria that will forever haunt punishment enough? Once people know what he is... The consequences is much more severe thsn any jail or death penalty could achieve... Don't get me started on overcrowding in jails...

• girl
    12 years ago

Yeah this is a little off topic but this man who got put away for manslaughter only has to do six months while another women is doing twice as much time for drug trafficking? Stupid.

Anyways I don't believe in either. I don't believe it's anyones right to decide when someone should die no matter the case, but on the other hand some sick people end up enjoying prison. So to sentence someone to life in prison may not be as big of a punishment as some may think. On this topic i'm really undecided.

• Kevin
    12 years ago

I think alot of people on this website have very strong views on child abuse, with no real experience of what it's like to work with a sex offender.

The reality is very different from a website discussion, and I know that because I work with an autistic adult who is a registered sex offender.

Curious that very few people have sounded off saying he should have his balls cut off and then be raped in jail for the rest of his life, which I have seen people suggest in other discussions on this site.

Suddenly the reality brings most of you up short eh.

• Noir
    12 years ago

With no real experience of what it's like to work with a sex offender.The reality is very different from a website discussion, and I know that because I work with an autistic adult who is a registered sex offender."

Tell me Kevin, if you had a child would you invite the autistic predator for a cup of tea?

Working with them, doesn't suddenly make you understand them... You can try, but unless you 'urself experiences it... you'll never understand them

• Kevin
    12 years ago

"Tell me Kevin, if you had a child would you invite the autistic predator for a cup of tea?"

I find that question rather insulting Noir.

I've worked in the mental health field for well over 9 years, 2 of which have been with an individual who is a registered sex offender. Do I fully understand their motivations and mindset? No, of course not, not fully.

I do however have a very good grasp on the realities of such things, more so than say your average P and Q member, which is really all I was pointing out. I've studied psychology and sociology, as well as counselling and everyone I work with is assessed by professionals in the field.

I would ask you not be so callous.

• Sean
    12 years ago

I've worked with people who've done terrible things and one thing helps me do it; between 80%-95% of people who sexually abuse others have been abused themselves.

I can't remember the statistic for physical/verbal abusive behaviours but it's also on a high threshold.

Monsters are made mainly by others.

• Mag
    12 years ago

Instead of capital punishment consider this: innocent and decent people working for the sake of family's good in dangerous conditions exposed to detrimental substances, circumstances etc. Someone must do the dirty work, the case is who will do that - better substitute those people with criminals to perform their penance. You spare a life and you benefit at once.
    Anyway, the most important thing is to take care of children and give them a good start in life, that's really significant in order to prevent them from growing into monsters and societal margin occupants...