Cliche critique

• Michael D Nalley
    12 years ago

This is for the folks that believe most rhyme is forced. I have noticed that some of the greatest hits use metaphor rhymes. Do you feel that poets and song writters should not use a rhyme that forces you to think?

• Decayed
    12 years ago

Mmmm... That's a tough question.

I think it's different in songwriting. Actually, in songs it's a must to have a rhymed lyrics for it to be turned into a song with melody.

For example, if you bring some lyrics and you just read them, some rhymes may appear forced, and that's why music helps in not making it sound forced.

But in poems, yes rhymes can sound forced if someone doesn't manage to soothe up the pace.

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

I have no idea how people classify rhyming as forced and not forced... I want to know actually. I think when I rhyme is forced it seems like that because the phonemes of the rhymed word and the word before are far from each other in where they come out from, but I haven't experienced forced rhyming before, nor have I felt like the rhyming was forced when someone told me it was.

• Tara Kay
    12 years ago

Rhyming in songs makes the flow as added tune.
    Rhymes in poetry can be forced through stanza's
    etc, a line written and the next line deiberately made to rhyme when it doesn't continue on the same path
    "Down by the flowing river,
    as the snow makes me shiver"
    I forced the rhyme by making river rhyme with shiver with no attention.
    however I could re-write this
    "As the snow begins to fall, I shiver
    under the wintry sky,
    resting by the free flowing river"

See?

• Michael D Nalley
    12 years ago

I do see that the second wording is much smoother and if it were my poem these three lines would tempt me to silently sit and sigh because we cannot please everyone though we are inspired to try.

• Maple Tree
    12 years ago

I always tend to shy away from discussions upon this matter... forced or unforced rhyme. To me, rhyme is a style, form of writing... the writer has something to say and express.. chooses to do so in rhyme, therefore, it flows, how the writer has chosen to write it.

• Michael D Nalley
    12 years ago

Does ayone else like" American Pie"?

http://youtu.be/uAsV5-Hv-7U