Please help. Dating laws

• Mello193
    12 years ago

So our story begins when i met this girl, we hit it off, now im wondering since im 19, and shes 15, from new jersey, if its illigal. We havent had sex, i wont until shes at least 16 or 17, we have only kissed, i like her alot, she likes me alot. I was just wondering about the laws end on this, please help.

• True Happiness
    12 years ago

Well.....since your 19...and you two haven't had sex it's not illigal...but if you do before she is 18 then then it can be considered rape...so i thnk you should wait till she is 18...so you wont get in trouble...k.

• Britt
    12 years ago

In my state, if you have three years between you (12 and 15, 15 and 18) until both parties are 18, it doesn't matter if you have sex or not - you can still get in trouble in the parents of the minor press charges... and that's even for holding hands.

Imagine what foreplay would be. I would find someone closer to your own age or someone who is at least legal.. I doubt many Dads would be thrilled about his 15 year old daughter dating a legal adult. Mine wasn't, and I wasn't allowed.

• H. Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Here in Texas, you can date just 'bout anyone, no matter the age. BUT, if the parents don't like the guy, or just don't approve or something, they CAN report it and they can go to jail or charges will be pressed. And if you have sex, it's considered satutary rape (not sure if I spelled satutary right).

I know this because I am 15 and my boyfriend is 18, but my parents are chill with it...sorta.

• Beauty In The Breaking
    12 years ago

By New Jersey law, from what I read, the minor has to be over the age of 16 (as in a lot of states 16 is the legal age of sexual consent). If they're under the age of 16 you can get hit with all sorts of charges. There's also laws about more then 4 years of age difference. So, yes, sexual contact before she's 16, you can get in big trouble. After she's 16, not as much so unless her parents/guardians disapprove and then they can file a complaint against you and you can still get in trouble. Looks like New Jersey is one of the more clear cut states about laws like that though

• Italian Stallion
    12 years ago

Pretty sure that the law in NJ is that both parties would have to be at least 18 to have a sexual relationship with out it being considered rape.

• TSI25
    12 years ago

I know where youre coming from, my girlfriend is two years younger than me, so for a while there was a situation that could technically be considered statutory rape if i had had sex with her or if she had pressed charges. in a way its like... this is a person who could easily fuck up your entire life forever by making you a registered sex offender. her parents could raise similar charges without her consent. its a trust thing. are you willing to put that much at risk? can you really wait for as long as you need to?

im not gonna say dump her cause thats ridiculous, my parents are 10 years apart in age, so i mean theres a point where 3 years doesnt matter at all, you just happen to not be at that point yet.

just be aware of the risks

• Angel
    12 years ago

Just be careful thats all i cabn really say

• Kevin
    12 years ago

If there is grass on the wicket, lets play crickett!

• BlueJay
    12 years ago

Well in Louisiana as long as there is no sexual junk (hopefully you actually get what I mean) and the adults she lives with are ok with it than yeah its legal. I'm 13 and I dated a guy who was 18 (real stupid move, but that's how I know this really is the law around here.) Hope this at least sorta helps...