People, what is wrong with you?!read this, it's important!!!

• Bret Higgins
    19 years ago

Well, the whole point about this site is to improve each other. That only happens when we give each other constructive critisism.

'Stop writing the same kind of songs' is a perfect example of constructive critisism.

If you or anyone else is receiving constructive critisism it is beause someone sees potential and want to see that potential achieved. Write something new, break the mould, explore new horizons.

Bert

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

If you dont want people to criticize you or even not to comment just write at the bottom of your poems or in your profile "please dont give criticism" or "please dont comment." But sometimes other people see things about our work that we cannot see ourselves, and so it is helpful.

Maybe you shouldnt write the same kind of songs if you always write the same kind. Why is that something to get defensive about? Its just a suggestion, and you are more than allowed and encouraged to offer constructive criticism on other peoples work as well.

• Kevin
    19 years ago

If someone posts a comment on your poems that reads something like;

"stop writing the same kind of poems"

though their is a suggestion of a way to improve, their is no advice, it's an empty statement. I think of positive criticism as actual understandable pointers in a better direction...eg;

"You might benifit from looking at some well known poets like [insert well known poet] to learn about some classic styles that will give you more scope in your writing"

Now that is constructive criticism....rinse and repeat.

• Sean Allen
    19 years ago

You know that saying "if you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anthing at all" (I think that was in Bambi...)? Well I'm pretty sure that is bs. If you read a poem, and find that there isn't anything you like about it, tell the person kindly what you dislike, and how you think they can improve. I agree that hollow comments are no good (e.g this poem sucks), but "Wow was a gr8 poem omg plz read comment mine!11!" is a hollow comment too. If you get all upset about one, then I think you should make sure you don't do the other. Hypocracy reigns supreme when ignorance runs rampant.

• Tainted Butterfly
    19 years ago

Sean Allen you are exactly right. I hate when people do that too

• Emma
    19 years ago

I totally agree with Sean Allen why upset somebody for no reason? Love Emma xxx

• Ali
    19 years ago

hey look at it this way. You could have had someone comment on your poem like sean said "OMG that wz great! plz read mine too!" but they could have simply read the first paragraph or not even anything and just wrote that one. I like when people actually read mine and tell me that they "liked it and heres what would make it better", so that on the next poem I write the comment might read; "I liked it! Perfect". Two heads are better then one, three are better then two and however many people are on this site are better then three so think about it like that. No one is out to get you. We promise!