Poems dealing with "unhappy love is stronger than happy lov

• Carl
    12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm doing some research for a play that I'm writing. Now I'm looking for suggestions on poems, literature, films or just quotes on the theme "unhappy love is stronger/more affectionate than happy love", or just passages where this is somewhat used/mentioned/formulated. Any ideas?

Feel free to post quotes, poems or excerpts from books in this thread!

Thanks!

• Angel
    12 years ago

Hey i know a couple of mine are about how love kills you idk which ones but i know i have a few check em out and i hope they help :)

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

I don't understand what you mean by unhappy love, and happy love in the first place. Can you explain that for me?

• Carl
    12 years ago

Maybe I'm not using the right words - happy love would be answered love, unhappy love would be unanswered love, or unrequited love.

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

Thanks, I understand now... I think because when a person is in the state of "unhappy love" they use their imagination to see how it would be... their desires are stronger because they don't know what the other person feels and they feel that if it ever happened it would be the best relationship ever and they try so hard to get to it... because forbidden things are always more desirable, not only in love, but also in other things. So they get on this adrenaline rush which makes them do things they would never do if it wasn't forbidden.

Whereas when it comes to "happy love" they already have each other, what goes on next is a detailed explanation of their lives together, nothing drastic is done when they don't have to go to the extreme to have each other... It's not that it's not strong, but it seems weaker than "unhappy love", because there isn't that adventurous sense in it. Nothing interesting happens for a person to prove themselves.

Examples? There are many out there, romantic comedies are one, where it always starts out as something like this... when you explained it to me the first thing that came to my mind is a turkish soap called "Dudaktan Kalbe" << translation: From the lips to the heart... It tells a story of a girl who works as a maid for a rich family. The family has a son and his cousin who both fall for her, but she falls for the son. The son uses her, only to sleep with her and she stays madly in love with him until she becomes pregnant and runs away... Later on, after many events she realises that the son only wants her because he can't have her, and so she decides to marry the cousin who was always in love with her and done many things to win her love. This really meets your definition because all three of them go through a phase of "unhappy love"...

Good luck

• Paul Gondwe
    12 years ago

I think a person expresses more in unhappy love, he just lets out his emotions. You can check out an example on one of my poems titled Heartache..good luck as well

• A Poets Handwriting aka ALISHA
    11 years ago

I think its easier to express sadness rather than happiness in todays society. I dont know.
    I think that love is seen as a cliche of sorts because so many have been burnt by it and thats why its easier to write about 'sad' love than 'happy' love I suppose - it's more common these days.