Coming to a city near you...Sharia Law!

• Kevin
    12 years ago

Islamic law is being pushed very hard right now in Britain. Muslims say our country is broken and corrupt and sick, and needs their religious law system to fix it.

here are some classic nuggets of their religious legal system.

Being homosexual would be illegal.
    Drinking alcohol would be illegal.
    Death if you leave Islam.
    women get half the inheritance of their brothers.
    The testimony of 2 women is required to offset the testimony of 1 man.

and the hits just keep on coming. I'd love to see them try this in Scotland, which has never even fully accepted christianity!

Any thoughts or experience of this?

• Exostosis
    12 years ago

Hope this thread gets many replies. Its an interesting topic.

Deploying Islamic law on Britain is morally wrong, and unethical.

Apostasy results in death penalty in Islam, absolutely correct.

Alcohol prohibited in Britain?. . .Never gonna happen :P

I have lived in a gulf country. I have watched Islamic followers spend money on pleasures of all sort, physical and intoxicating. Those who follow religion to the letter are scarce. All humans on a regular basis do wrong. Nothing to panic about.

Islam isnt perfect, nor is Christianity, none of the religions are. Religion isnt mandatory for being a good citizen or a good person in general.

People kill in the name of religion. And murder cannot be justified on the grounds of religion.

People are free to choose/follow/preach their religion, but not enforce it.

There is nothing good or bad. The society as a whole decides and sets the parameters on ethics and that is implemented as a fashion. Majority does not always mean right.

Here is the article I have been reading so far

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2010/jul/05/sharia-law-religious-courts

No offense to anyone =)

• Britt
    12 years ago

Edit - biting my tongue. :)

• believeinlove87
    12 years ago

^^^ I agree with the above.

But that is just wrong to do to a country. It's England. Just because some people think that it's a "sick" country doesn't mean it is. Not every country has the same ethics and rules. They should keep there mouth closed and let it be the way the leaders want it to be. But making being homosexual or alcohol illegal is plain out wrong. Sorry that's my opinion. It's people's choice if they want to drink or like the same gender. Nobody should judge for their choices.

That's some of what i think. Everybody has their own opinion though. But like said no offense!

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

This is the first time I hear this, but just for the record, this is a Muslim talking here. Islamic countries are also "corrupt" as they put it, they themselves don't follow the laws they fight so much to keep, except in Islamic countries most things are all "hush hush" and kept in closets, no one talks about them. My second point is that Muslims have a right to themselves in their own countries, but not to others, not in their countries and not in other countries<< by Islamic law that is how it should be, because Islam like many other religions has the term "freedom of belief", no matter how unbelievable that is because people use religion as an excuse to make everyone the same as them, although religion does not say that they should.

In Saudi, because of the Islamic laws applied there I would be considered a "murtad" (someone who has come out of Islam), just because I am not of the "Sunni" or "Salafi" sect. Although, I am still a muslim with the same book and the same basic beliefs.

So, as you don't agree to this, I don't either... I don't think it's fair to make others follow the laws of your own religion, especially not in their own country.

• Noir
    12 years ago

If the British people are stupid enough to implement this, than they deserve everything they get... And the funny thing is that under the law Non-muslims must pay a tax and be second class citizens...

There should be a limit to giving people what they want... BTW, I am Muslim

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

Zahraa very true and interesting points, regarding the original post, you know it is VERY hard to understand a certain background like an Islamic one if you are NOT involved in it, what you mentioned about the heritage is a veryyyyyyyyyyy long subject and not the way it was put up there. Each of what you mentioned is a subject.

Muslims in islamic countries wont see it unfair cause its their style of living and they understand it. Just like homosexuality is tolerated in your country (example) you got used to it, you understand why, and respect it. But for each his own. Different cultures, different beliefs! we cant blame nor judge whether good or bad.

I am muslim too, but i dont live in an islamic country, as in Middle East Lebanon we have over than 30 diff religion. Christians and all their sects, Muslims and their different sects...Druz, bla bla As Zahraa said though in Islamic countries everything happens behind closed doors, they do not apply whatever they fight for.

I cannot live in a country the implements this either, because Muslims are divided these days, and it will only cause more fights, more blood. And each country is a mix of foreign along with local citizens!

Each muslim should be a Muslim inside his house and outside it, just not to force it on the rest of people, Islam means "peace" is to have peace, inner one, but when you believe, not when or because you are forced to.

SIDE NOTE: Discussing this, won't really benefit if we are to talk about details, as I said no one can speak about something they dont understand, esp if it's not in their cultural background, but in general, it's reasonable to express ones point of views, whether with or against. I'm against it..too.