Heaven is so far away

• ibelievedhim
    9 years ago

Someone I care about very much is no longer here, and I have a recording of them on my phone. I listen to it every night before I go to sleep. Is that bad? It helps chase the nightmares away and keep this person in my thoughts. Some of my friends are telling me it's not healthy and that I need to let go, but I feel better doing this. Am I crazy??

• Poet on the Piano
    9 years ago

Hey Katie, I'm deeply sorry for your loss. I can't possibly understand your pain, but I have grieved over others before. I hope you have people you can reach out to. Never feel like you're alone.

I think each person needs their own time. Honestly, though I'm obviously not an expert, I don't think a time can be measured that a person should move on. It has to feel right for you. You are most certainly not crazy. I do know how close and secure one can feel hearing another's voice. I actually held on to two messages from a friend when our relationship changed and I missed that. It wasn't healthy for me though because I cried over it, relied on hearing it, almost depended on it until I decided I had been hiding behind that. Once I made amends, I was able to erase the messages. But of course they're still in my memory and that's okay. I'm not sure if it's unhealthy or not for you, don't know if others can say for certain unless they really know you.

Is there any way you can remember this person or write about him/her to help? Or maybe pen memories down so you feel like "letting go" is not "forgetting"? I think you're only human to want to remember this person and keep him/her in your thoughts. But maybe finding closure or understanding that this person's memory and life will inspire, give you strength, will help? There's nothing wrong with holding memories. Ones with people who are no longer here may make me sentimental or emotional, but they also may make me smile and it can also give peace to share these memories and remember this person in a positive light.

Take care. Hope things look up.

• ibelievedhim
    9 years ago

Can I pm you?

• Poet on the Piano
    9 years ago

Sure!