Time for something New

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago

I'm enjoying a quiet Sunday evening and as I'm scrolling through this forum, I see how old these topics and threads are... time for something new!

I have a love for History and I have been reading more and more poems from authors who adore History and try to capture historical events within poetry.

I challenge all of you to take some time out- read about an historical event and try to visually capture it within a poem.

I have been filled with such sadness this year due to my daughters illness and I decided to take some time out with my writing and focus on a hidden passion of mine which is history and weave it into my writing. I write to get through the pain, but sometimes my pen needs a rest and I try to work on writing projects that comfort me... your thoughts?

• Mr. Darcy replied to Maple Tree
    5 years ago

History holds so many stories. Like a fossilised insect; it's journey to that point can be mused.
    I often write about the present, using the immediate world that I encounter. I guess I just need to do a little research with my tools and unearth those remains.

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Michael,

I seriously have been thinking about writing a poem to honor all of the Holocaust survivors and those who were lost. Its such a challenge that its taking me a while to figure out how I want to write it... Any ideas?

maybe you and I should do one of our collabs again ?

• Poet on the Piano replied to Maple Tree
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Andrea, back in high school we had a writing competition and the topic was Holocaust remembrance. It was hard and emotional because I didn't want to speak for the victims nor did I feel 100% comfortable making fictional characters. But I think the main thing is educating because I do fear people will forget about the Holocaust or that they'll stop teaching it in schools, etc. We also watched some chilling films about it and to think there are people to this day that challenge whether or not it happened, treating it like a conspiracy theory, breaks my heart.

I know there's a few interviews of the survivors if my memory serves me right. It's heartwrenching to hear but incredible how powerful the human voice and will is.

I think however you write it though, I know it will be with compassion and truly honor all those people. You have such a good heart. Maybe trying to capture the fear but knowing unless we have lived it, that it's near impossible?