Weekly Contest Winners - April 29, 2019!

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Happy Monday! We had a majority of the judges agree this week on three clear winners, with some brilliant honorable mentions as well. Highlighted poems include Ben's mournful, beautifully rhymed piece about "Wrong Frequency", Tanya's third-week win and next installment in her Elements series, a reverent and flowing piece celebrating "Earth", and Anne Moore's first win in a moving poem to remembering and understanding the impact of abuse in "Counting The Victims". Congrats to the winners, we've really spanned several genres just in these three poems. Congrats to all HMs and many thanks to our judges as this is their last term. We are still in need of three more judges for our new two month term and any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks to any current and past judges for their time and dedication in reading this site's poetry.

Have a great week, everyone!
    -MA

WINNERS:

"Wrong Frequency" by: Ben Pickard 10 + 7 + 7 = 24 points

"Earth" by: Tanya Southey 10 + 7 + 4 = 21 points

"Counting The Victims" by: Anne Moore 10 + 10 = 20 points

COMMENTS:

"Counting The Victims" by: Anne Moore

"Anne's poem this week is hard hitting. It highlights the perpetual cycle of abuse by both males and females. It is a sad thought on how common this is and how many children just like Anne worry they will repeat the same abuses to their spouse or child because breaking that cycle is a very difficult thing to do. Especially if that is what was considered "normal living" in your house. The statistics are staggering and it is up to each and everyone of us to raise our children and treat our partners with love and respect so maybe one day we won't be looking at statistics like these." (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Though Anne is a new member to PnQ, what I've noticed in the poems she has posted is a vulnerability through sharing with the readers her perception, her pain. Something I admire in a poet is when they are able to write out even the hardest feelings, because that is a huge step to acknowledge them. Anne's piece this week showed a strength that others may not see, a kind of strength that burns within. Through counting those who have suffered, she validates them, keeps track, brings awareness to those who may often be disregarded, dismissed or told they are not telling the truth. How many times of sufferers been told they are simply exaggerating?

While usually I am not too much of a fan of repetition in a poem, the counting and repetition of "again and again" kept this poem very clear. It had no mask, no veil, no light words or message. I keep coming back to this poem. Even when I step away, what Anne has written about "domestic violence" being a paradox sticks with me. The contrast, the harsh reality that there is "nothing domestic about violence". Anne's words are stark and gut-wrenching and there's almost that shout for people to realize just how often abuse can happen. That it can take many shapes, many forms. That its effects carry depth and that those who experience it hold this burden, this desire to escape, this fear of that sort of violence seeping into their actions.

I felt the fear in this, the heartache and the genuine wish for a future where the past does not repeat itself, where there are more survivors who live through something no child should ever have to go through. Emotionally raw and incredibly hard to read. I can only think writing this must have took immense courage and energy." (10)

"Wrong Frequency" by: Ben Pickard

"Ben is showing us that he is not a one trick pony in this pleasing technical poem. We all mourn in our own way and so go through the 5 stages of grief uniquely. Feeling ‘hatred’ and ‘depression’ are but two, but before one can finally move on to ‘acceptance’ it can, indeed, feel like ‘torture’. Poetry can help with this process. So, whether you write from the heart or read words that trigger momentum, poetry will help you prevail." (10)

"I'm not sure why I feel this is one of Ben's poems that I most connect with. Perhaps, it is because he is so honest when writing grief or sorrow. That first line immediately made me think of depression, of the severity of no longer seeing colors the same, enjoying life or the activities (sights, sounds, smells etc) that used to bring joy. There's a slight ache in my heart while reading this piece, and my breath almost caught at how accurate "my existence itself is auto-tuned" can be to those of us who feel like our fate is already pre-determined, like we are living through the motions. The images of clawing at the walls, of missing her warmth and enduring the process of mourning... it all reaches the reader. Of knowing we cannot have control. That last line gave me shivers. Reading it the first time, I felt a sense of giving up, then I perceived it as you are trying to connect with her again. To send her peace, calm and in this, you will be able to continue, knowing you have visited her and at least blessed her presence when she roamed this earth and kept you safe and sound." (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"I would like to say at first that personally, this is the most heartfelt poem I have read written by Ben. It seemed spontaneous, written without putting much thoughts onto words. The title set my mood to nostalgia; a wrong frequency like an old radio is set to the wrong wave with no music... in the poem he is holding on her memories, and his life is filled with nothing but the unclear voices of that radio." (7)

"Earth" by: Tanya Southey

"The religions are not intrinsic to the earth nature:
    “The earth knows…”

The places that are brimful of memories, and historical events, carry no burdens of human fights and struggles; they are only locations, guiltless from all the human traumas. “The earth knows no boundaries only places where the land ends…”

Though here even reducing the earth to only some locations, rocks and bones, all the sudden earth become a sentient being. The reasons of her (earth) not interfering, or having no side in the men’s struggles, are not of any inferiority complex or anything but because “The earth knows no half-truths she knows all our secrets holds all the tears"

The poet here goes beyond the conclusion of the first stanza; she construes that the reason of the earth inaction is not the lack of the sentiment or wisdom, but it is because her (earth) wisdom is complete, more complete than the people who live in it. “and when we are gone in the haunting quiet our memories will dissolve into her soil only to rise again”
    It seems that earth moderate and preserves human emotion and consciousness. The earth acts as the collective mother: “only to rise again carbonated in a seed, a flower or tree,the scent of all” (10)

"Tanya's poem this week spoke to me in various levels. Earth does not discriminate, people do. It provides us with this wealth of gifts that we keep squandering away like it is never going to end. But it is and we are only going to have ourselves to blame. Tanya writes so eloquently on how beautiful this planet is and its demise will only be our fault." (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Fact: Land covers just, 29% of our planet’s surface. Tanya, gifts us another element this week, ‘Earth’. The Earth has born all of our journeys, rising and falling, since the dawn of time, like night to day. All life that grows from her will finally return to nourish the seeds of our children’s tomorrow." (4)

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago

HM's:

"Writer’s Block Riverbed" by: Rhinehalt = 10 points

"Just Desserts" by: Aegis 4 + 4 = 8 points

"In This Darkness" by: IdTakeABulletForYou = 7 points

"Love can be blind" by: Michael = 7 points

"Dream" by: silvershoes = 4 points

"Returning your message" by: Satish Verma = 4 points

COMMENTS:

"Writer’s Block Riverbed" by: Rhinehalt

"What a way to break out of writers block! At a time when a poet is inspired by the tiniest things; a speck of sand could make words fall into place to make a beautiful piece, trickle like a waterfall. But when writers block hit, it all seems nothing but a dream! Trees are bare lacking life, magic does not exist anymore. All the extraordinary things in the writers eye are now ordinary... Beautiful piece!" (10)

"Just Desserts" by: Aegis

"I've read this five or six times so far, and each time, I think how "sanctuary" feels like it was specifically chosen. Maybe I'm just liking the sound of "synonymous" with "sanctuary". As always, the brevity of your works gives the reader sometimes a more direct take, and I love the sharpness that your poems can have. That ending line that is truthful yet filled with a sadness. The meaning I took from this piece is someone who finds solace in the nighttime, who does not have to be on a "facade" for the day, who does not have to busy themselves with looking and acting the part. They can almost "unveil" their true self at night and find comfort in taking time for themselves. This is how they can slow their thoughts and have "peace of mind". Yet, attempting normality, perhaps to impress or feel the "sweetness" of life, has sent them acting on impulses and living a more intense version of themselves. I love how many people can interpret your poem in different ways, yet you know the true meaning. I felt a sense of desperation in this piece from this person, as well as recklessness that is showing they don't have control and their thoughts and feelings are leading them astray. Interesting piece!" (4)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"I love how simple the form of this is! Yet it is still deep. At first it seemed directed to a specific person, where the two find peace in each other in a tough life, but that person is asking for a sugar coated life that is hard to obtain. The love and peacefulness of the two is slipping away. After a couple of reads, I felt like the poem could be directed to oneself, trying to cover up the bitter parts of us, but losing control and realizing what wrong we have done." (4)

"In This Darkness" by: IdTakeABulletForYou

"The division between light and day is the theme of this poem. The alienation of night, the inferiority complex! The poet compares himself to the nigh and a friend to the day. He is inspired by the day, envies the day, but is thankful that such separation exists and their path doesn’t cross: “Naught but luck divides us two as does the day and night.”

Though even the connection (cross passing) is denied by the author and from the first sentence he gives you a feeling that the separation is only locational: “I live inside the darkness while you bask within the light.”,

but later on, you realize the difference is more terminative and he, the writer, IS, the night and his addressee is the daylight.

But even though the “ darkness is a fickle friend whose light will shine on none.” He (the darkness- the poet) feels he understands: “I covet not and understand the roots from which you came”

He envies the light, he wants to really be the light, but he sees the impossibilities of the essential opposites to mix or turn to each other regardless of all their lifetime interactions. He sadly, yet graciously accepts his fate." (7)

"Love can be blind" by: Michael

"The loss of ‘good friends’ or family can feel the same; after all, we hold them both, close to our hearts. Michael details this in a well-constructed poem. He describes living in darkness, bereft of light and love, but like hands of time, they reach out for support. It is often this support that reminds us of the beauty of living and living on with ‘their’ undying spirit." (7)

"Dream" by: silvershoes

"The first stanza feels like a vacation, a trip in the car. She is in the passenger seat, the boyfriend, perhaps, is driving and a dog is laying in front sits between them.

Even though the dog is not directly mentioned, you feel its presence: “you would cradle us both”

“Laying beside you, laying beside me Deep into you, fall deep into me”

Though also the poet could be describing herself as the third person, too, so then the assumption of a dog presence is unnecessary, for then it would be her, the poet, who is: “Laying beside you… beside me…”

In that euphoric state, the moon melts in the sky. (morning) The daylight is breathing colours to the earth: “Colors changing as fast as I am”

and the feeling of contentment was so intense, and the experience, the feeling was so sublime that left the permanent residue in the poet soul and gave the texture of dream to her entire life: “..And if it was a dream, I’m still dreaming” (4)

"Returning your message" by: Satish Verma

"I always enjoy reading Satish's poems. They are full of visual imagery that allows my imagination to dream up all these different scenarios. I will be honest, I'm probably not thinking the same thoughts he is but that's the joy of poetry, everyone interprets differently. I would love to sit down one day with him and pick apart his brain to see how his inspiration turns into poetry." (4)

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Not sure if this is the judges' last week, but either way, thank you so much for your precious time, efforts and comments over the last couple of months.
    Well done to everyone involved in another wonderful week of poetry.

Ben

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! So many awesome writes, I dont know how the judges choose. Speaking of judges, thank you all for your term and making all the hard choices. We appreciate you all! Mary Anne, thank you for hosting and all the mods for all the behind the scene stuff you guys do. I appreciate you!

• Mr. Darcy
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all winners and HM's. Thank you to everyone, especially the judges and moderator/hosts who helps make this contest possible.

• Michael
    4 years ago

Hi all :)
    Congratulations to all front page poets this week, and all HMs awarded.
    Thank you to the judges and the comnents on my poem, much appreciated.
    Thank you to Scott for nominating

Much love, M :)

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Congrats to the winners & HMs
    Thanks, judges for your good work this term

Thanks MA

• ddavidd
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Thanks to the judges, the host, and everybody involved. especially those who go around nominating and recognizing gems with no prejudice, Mark in my case.

• silvershoes
    4 years ago

Thank you enormously to the judge who voted for and commented on my poem :)