Weekly Contest Winners - week of September 9, 2019!

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago

Hi, everyone! MA here. Posting early since all comments are in. As you can see, it's only a handful of poems highlighted and voted on this week since we only have two judges on for this term so far. Immense gratitude to you two judges! We are still in need of volunteers, otherwise, it will continue like this. As Jane mentioned in the other thread, mods will not be standing in in place of missing judges. Please consider helping. Highlighted this week is Michael's ode to autumn and poem of wonder and awe to nature in "Natures mechanical motion", Linda's heart-wrenching honesty and emotion in "I'm terrified of dying", and Ben's clever storytelling abilities in "(Low)wayman". Congrats to Michael, Linda and Ben and our two HM's :)

WINNERS:

"Natures mechanical motion" by: Michael 7 + 4 = 11 points

"I'm terrified of dying ;)" by: (Linda) Leavers = 10 points

"(Low)wayman" by: Ben Pickard = 10 points

COMMENTS:

"Natures mechanical motion" by: Michael

"Michael has such a way of painting a picture. This piece was so visually lush, I was transported to this moment to walk amongst the trees, taking it all in. Fall is one of my favorite seasons, the hills are vibrant with color, the crisp air, it's truly magical and Michael's poem this week took me right to this feeling and I thank you for that!" (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Michael often writes so well about nature and this piece, is happily a tribute to seasons changing, rather than a lament reminding us of mother nature’s plight. Despite some needed capitalisation in the first paragraph, this poem highlights the true beauty of Summer’s transformation to Autumn." (4)

"I'm terrified of dying ;)" by: (Linda) Leavers

"This piece, wow, this piece....I'm trying to find the words of how this poem made me feel. First off, I'm so sorry you are going through this. Cancer sucks, there is no way around that. The fact you have been able to put all that you are feeling into these words is something I don't think I would be able to do. There is a lot of inner strength you posses. This entire piece speaks of it, it also tells of your fears and your frustrations. It's frustrating to see the rest of the world going about their business, like work, miss ya but glad it's not them. Your Dr, giddy anticipation of new tumors. Your worries about your babies and husband, still putting then first, putting your illness second. Linda, thank you for being so brutally honest in how you are doing and feeling. Thank you for sharing such personal experiences for all of us here. Your strength is truly inspirational." (10)

"(Low)wayman" by: Ben Pickard

"Despite this being a winning poem, I’ve little to say, other than it was a breath of fresh air! Forgive the cliche, but Ben has created a witty, lyrical tale with a dark and shocking ending. As much as I don’t think there is an overriding metaphor here, it’s enough as a narrative for the reader to look a bit deeper into the persona’s struggles and make our own judgments." (10)

HM's:

"*Great Man*" by: mossgirl19 = 7 points

"Dreams" by: Tanya Southey = 4 points

COMMENTS:

"*Great Man*" by: mossgirl19

"A touching tribute which, despite suffering a little towards the end highlights an important person, whose generosity was seemingly a gift bestowed on this poet. A very sentimental and beautifully crafted piece." (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Dreams" by: Tanya Southey

"I wish my dreams were as wonderful as Tanya's! Mine usually involve weird beings, giant salt and pepper shakers chasing me and the like. This poem was so dreamy, pardon the pun, I felt so refreshed after reading this. Her visuals never disappoint and she takes a normal thing like a dream and makes it truly beautiful." (4)

• Star
    4 years ago

Congratulations everyone ^_^
    Thank you MA for hosting!!
    And thank you judges for your time, good luck too I know it’s never an easy job :)

• Linda replied to Star
    4 years ago

Thank you judges <333 love this place. thanks for the love. it legitimately surprises me . congratulations winners & HMs

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Thanks very much to the two judges for their time and thank you for my comment/win. I genuinely wasn't expecting it with this one as I really did just sit down and write it as a bit of fun. Glad it was enjoyed, though.
    Well done to the other winners and the hms.

• Michael
    4 years ago

Hi all :)

Thank you MA for hosting, to the judges who voted for me and lovely comments, much appeciated.

Well done to the poets with HMs

Much love, M :)

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all you lovely winners of front page and HM's! Tough choices for the judges to choose from...amazing writing all around. Thank you Mary Anne for hosting and our judges for, well, judging...lol!

• Meena Krish replied to Brenda
    4 years ago

Congrats to the winners and thank you so much judges and thank you for hosting MA!