Weekly Contest Winners - October 28, 2019!

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Hello to all! This week we only had three judges, but I especially want to thank these judges for their time and consideration. Highlighted are poems about the passing of seasons, especially with an introspective piece from Dagmar, which covers the beautiful haunting nature of the season as well as how isolating it can be. We also have MU's "Swimming", which holds nostalgia and a yearning to remember despite the distance that seems so tangible.

Congrats to all and thank you judges, for your dedication these past two months. Next week will be a new term and we are asking for any and all help with that. Please pm the mod account with any inquiries or to volunteer.

I hope everyone takes it easy this week and sending you my support and well wishes!
    And thank you, judges, for the comments on my piece.

- MA

"Rustic colours" by: Dagmar Wilson

"I picked this because it affected me immensely, purely because of the obvious honesty throughout. The ending is the most cutting of all - almost written as scathing bullet points: "Depression is who I am, holidays carry a beauty sadness is on the rise"." (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Dagmar uses the changing season to express the depression many of us experience with the fall. So much beauty and yet so much death. The fall season brings the start of the holidays and for people who tend to be loners this can be a extremely trying time. We are expected to be cheerful and all fa la la, at least that is what society dictates. But when you struggle with depression this can be excruciating to deal with. It causes us to withdraw even more which creates a vicious cycle we feel we can't break. Always know Dagmar, you are never alone and even as the trees shed their leaves we are all here for you." (4)

"Swimming" by: MU

"A beautifully written piece that is a pleasure to read, both in its formatting and subtle use of rhyme throughout." (10)

"Autumn lullabies" by: Poet on the Piano

"Some seasons can perfectly suit particular moods and MA has captured this brilliantly. I always feel that the change from summer to autumn is the harshest and it absolutely 'summons sadness'. A really insightful, observant and metaphorically clever piece." (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Mary Anne really is a gifted writer and this piece this week is no exception. Autumn brings out so many emotions in many of us. From the majestic colors to the trees baring their branches. The weather turns cold, it worms it's way into our hearts. We know winter is coming, will we survive the cold to see another spring ? I felt her emotions with this, the sadness, the elation of a changing season, the continual ying and yang we all seem to experience when Autumn comes around. It gives me faith after that long cold winter I will again feel the warmth on my bones and I too will survive." (7)

"A pure piece of poetry, from the extended personification of Autumn, to the wonderful use of metaphor throughout. Truly, a really well written piece of verse." (4)

HM's:

"Paint" by: Sarah

"Sarah's poem this week really spoke to me. Here she is, painted the color of tears, allowing every hurting soul to shed their tears onto her. Trying her best to absorb the hurt and the pain. Trying her best to take away every souls sorrow even though she is unable to fix hers. She brings up that she doesn't care what color their skin is or what they believe and isn't that what we should all be like? People are hurting, people are crying and all Sarah wants to do is help ease their pain. Maybe if we all were a little kinder maybe we would all start healing? I look forward to reading more from this poet." (10)

"For My Daughter" by: Matt Carroll

"Aw! Our children are just so very precious but it can be really hard to sum it up sometimes. Matt's managed to narrow it down to the core stuff that matters - always being on their side without trying to be a perfect parent which I feel teaches our kids all they need to know. This really touched me." (7)

"Tortured Love" by: Lainie Reay = 4 points

"I can't begin to understand the experience that Lainie has described but it moved me so much. It's often when we lose a loved one that we question all we previously thought to be true and wonder about such things as fate and destiny. I felt this was wonderfully expressed here." (4)

• Lainie Reay
    4 years ago

Well done to all the winners :)

Thank you so much to the judges for the lovely comments :)

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Lovely writing everyone! Thank you Mary Anne for hosting and our judges for making the hard choices. I hope everyone has an amazing week!

• Kitty Cat Lady
    4 years ago

Congrats to all winners, HM's and nominees. Thanks as always to the judges and mods - another great week of poetry! :-) x
    =^.^=

• Ben Pickard replied to Kitty Cat Lady
    4 years ago

Well done, one and all. Thank you to the judges for their time, as ever.

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Congrats to the winners and the HMs. Thanks to the 3 judges who have demonstrated dedication.
    Thanks, MA, for hosting.