What song inspires you to write?

• Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Recently, I've had on repeat "Youth" by Daughter (really any song of theirs) and "Everything I Wanted" by Billie Eilish, both somber songs that have connected with me and let my emotions out, helping release them without me holding back.

It used to be I couldn't focus as much on writing when listening to songs with lyrics, and would have acoustic playlists bookmarked, but I'm been finding lately songs with lyrics don't distract me, only highlight my emotion more.

• Ben Pickard replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Pietro Mascagni: Cavalleria rusticana - a beautiful piece of classical music that I can quite literally listen to over and over again.

Bob Dylan: You're a big girl now - a sombre song with some truly moving lyrics.

Both of these inspire me to write. I agree, MA, songs with lyrics used to put me off too, but not so much these days.

• D.
    4 years ago

i can’t listen to music whilst writing but Björk, Leonard Cohen, and Tom Waits have all recently inspired me.

Not so much particular songs, but lyrically in general. I can’t listen to music for emotional inspiration though, it’s more about listening to the language and the mood.

• Koan
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Hey guys!
    I always listen to music when i write, If Im writing sad poems i go for Nine Inch Nails early stuff. If you read anything else from me, well those were created with listening to music without any or very limited lyrics... To me lyrics are distractions, putting words in my mind that I don't want.. It is the music that moves my soul, lets my feeling free that gives me a very personal experience...

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, Bob Dylan, Jean Sibelius

• Ya----Na replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Billie Eilish's songs

Everything I wanted, when the party's over...