Weekly Contest Winners - December 30, 2019!

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Hello! I hope everyone was able to enjoy their holiday in whatever way they chose, and hopefully that cheer and joy will be brought into 2020. Highlighted are incredibly thoughtful and reflective pieces, as to be expected, from the great minds of Ben and Tanya. Congrats to you and to the HM's! I hope everyone has a healthy and happy start to the New Year :)

Many thanks to the two judges for their comments and support.

- MA

WINNERS:

"A Simple Sonnet (English sonnet)" by: Ben Pickard

"A simple Sonnet with a powerful message, detailed with great emotion = A beautiful poem.
    I can't express my love for this piece, each line has a beat and rhythm to it that is captivating to read and the rhyme scheme is on point. It's rich in detailed outline of the writers emotions, just lovely." (10)

"Limbo" by Tanya Southey

"Tanya's word usage and visual display is incredible and dazzling to the eye when reading, its got a political, global and outstanding message that all can relate to and I just cant say enough about this powerful poem, well done!" (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Tanya's poem this week reminded me of how many of us are living in some kind of limbo. Whether we are dealing with illness, failing relationships, or the uncertainty of this world. She writes unflinchingly of how we are waiting for these changes, we argue, fuss and fight. We live in limbo for changes we can only hope to happen before it's too late." (4)

"There is no calm before the storm." by: Poet on the Piano

"Poetry could be praised for the images and metaphors. Poetry could be praised the form, the rhythm and rhyme. Poetry could be praised for being original and unique. But most importantly poetry should be praised for being honest, true and heartfelt. MA never fails to surprise me with her heartfelt poems.
    At the beginning I felt sadness and disappointment. Every part is worded beautifully. Then there was love and persistence.
    “Some hearts can never
    fully develop underwater,”
    ^
    What a statement!!! Leading to a powerful ending." (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Mary Anne's poem this week sadden me. She spoke of a failing relationship, just waiting for that other shoe to drop. Other people involved, creating confusion for the love you two have. You are right, it shouldn't be that hard and that's the part that sucks the most. You are standing right there, why can't this person see that? I felt her frustration, her irritation over this other person that just seems to "be there". For anyone who has been in this place in their life they are nodding their heads in agreement, we understand and we are all sending virtual hugs and love to you." (10)

HM's:

"Fool" by: Kate

"Kate's poem this week brought me back so many times in my own life when I gave myself to someone who didn't deserve me. We love deeply and it is cast away like yesterday's garbage. She has the word "Fool" tattooed on her skin to remind her of the mistakes she's made. They haven't been mistakes, just someone with an open heart. I like how you turn the word into a different meaning. Full of only love is a wonderful way to view your life. You will meet someone someday that truly deserves your love and you will live each day full of only love." (7)

"For Christmas Past" by: C Cattaway

"This is a powerful poem I would really like to applaud. Whether it’s Christmas or any other holiday we celebrate, there is children and people who are suffering. The materialism isn’t what matters the most, is giving back, whether it is as small as a letter, a smile, a text message. Or anything more.
    Any holiday is time of peace, love, warmth and hope." (7)

"Au Revoir" by: Satish Verma

"I really like the images in this poem. For me personally, I read the poem as not being ready for the end of this year, and welcoming the new one. And it resonated with me, which is why I am attached to the poem." (4)

"Home For Christmas" by: Angie

"This poem has such a bittersweet message that adds the true meaning Christmas (On a family point of view) that all can relate to in some form or fashion, whether it be a yearning for this kind of family feeling or living far from family or missing loved ones that have passed on. Its a touching reminder for us all to read. Beautiful!" (4)

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's, the last contest of 2019! I feel honored to be a part of such a talented and diverse group of writers! Thank you Mary Anne for hosting and our judges for making the tough picks. Happy New Year everyone!

• Star
    4 years ago

Congratulations everyone!!
    And happy New Year ^_^

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Congrats to the winners and thanks to MA for hosting.

• Meena Krish replied to Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Congrats winners, thank you to the two judges and thank you MA for hosting!

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Thanks very much to the judge for their lovely comment and also, thanks to Daniel for nominating my poem to begin with. Well done to all involved and happy new year to everyone.

• Angie replied to PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago

Congratulations everyone! Thank you Judges and thank you MA and thanks for the HM
    Happy New Year Everyone!