Weekly Contest Winners - January 27, 2020!

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago

Hello! I hope everyone is doing well. This week, the judges highlighted Noura and Kakera's poetry, and as it is the last judging term, I wanted to send a special thanks to our three judges for their time, talents and dedication. The new judging term starts the weekend of February 1 and we are still in need of volunteers, please consider and reach out to a mod. Thank you!

I think it was an emotional past week for poetry, as Noura speaks of a growing moment of hope in the birth of a child in one poem, while also penning a vulnerable, open piece about her own survival in another. Kakera pens a metaphorical piece that is brimming with pain and an authenticity to how she feels. Both poets are incredibly moving in their work, which comes as no surprise. Please go read :)

Congrats to the HM's as well! Thanks to everyone and I wish you the best this week.

-MA

"Survival" by: nourayasmine

"This poem left me feeling breathless. It's like I waited to exhale until I read it completely through, feeling her highs and lows, her happiness that was gone. Happiness that had been replaced with being mad over how this continual living in a country of unrest has destroyed her strength. She's being treated as a fragile flower, operating on survivor mode. Too many losses has made her and death the best of friends. All the things she thought she was, she's not and frankly that really peeves her off. I get it, but I also see this amazing woman that despite all the loss, all the horrors she's endured and seen is still standing tall. That requires a band of steel running through you. You aren't a wound that will never heal. You are this amazing young woman who continues to show us how far from a delicate waning flower you truly are." (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Noura took her trauma and consumed me this week. To write of trauma and incorporate nature, beauty sadness and emotion is difficult to do an she makes it look so easy when she writes. I just feel her beautiful heart scattered over every word. Just a power packed poem!" (7)

"My Soul is a Record Player that Only Plays Despair" by: Kakera

"This metaphoric poem cut me deep with emotion and sent my visions and tears into a tailspin from start to finish. Kakera to her pain, sadness and emotion and weaved her thoughts so delicately into this poem that I am speechless. A powerful visual display of words!" (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The metaphor here works so well, because the feeling has been conveyed. A record player so old and dusty, perhaps scratches every record it plays, unintentionally. The record player that forgot what beautiful music sounds like, and everything played seems broken. The description is very sad. The music the record player plays, the songs and the powerful ending line. Very well written. I hope writing and sharing this poem, made you feel better at least for a short moment." (4)

"A good evening in a sad city" by: nourayasmine

"The title got me very curious, and I felt there would be something to look forward to. In a city that is dark, a bundle of light and hope is growing. I love how this is very simple and straight to the point. However, I couldn’t help but wonder why the author of the poem was in the hospital. And if this moment was a moment of solace in that sad city for that person." (10)

HM's:

"Poetry To Prose" by: Ben Pickard

"This man has lost something great in his life, not only the lost love. He forgot that prose may be meaningful as well. And when poetry turns to prose it’s not demoted the content may be more raw. Also the title “Poetry to Prose”, made me see a side maybe hidden, or a different kind of interpretation. Which is a life that had lost balance. One last thing, it seems poetry did not turn to prose for you Ben." (7)

"The Week of Aching Conversations" by: Tanya Southey

"Tanya's poem this week brought a very real human condition that we all do to deal with what's going on in our lives or in our world. We can commiserate over the looks we give each other. Giving each other solace we aren't in this alone. So many unknowns out there, it's scary times. With Tanya living in Australia and all the fires destroying so much across the country it has to be very scary indeed. So much of what was, unsure of what the future brings, I hate to think our future conversations will only be about what was." (7)

"Inherited." by: Poet on the Piano

"MA took me to my family genes thoughts as well for I too have suicide tragedy in my family. So this poem hit me personally, but it also took my poetry loving eyes on many levels as a reader and this is why I chose to highlight this poem. From start to finish I was captivated and with the darkness along with a powerful message that needs to be expressed, this poem deserves praise. Beautifully sad and displayed." (4)

"Spring's Tears" by: Star

"This little gem gave me perfect visuals of an approaching storm. The clouds roll in, the wind picks up and right before the skies open up, everything hushes...You can just feel it and see it. Being where I am we are a bit early for the spring showers but after reading this I look forward to those spring tears." (4)

• Star
    4 years ago

Thank you so much Scott Cole for the nomination, and thank you to the judge for the amazing comment!!!

Congratulations everyone ^_^

I hope there will be more volunteer judges this term :)

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Such deep beautiful words being said here. Thank you all for that! Thank you Mary Anne for hosting and our judges for doing their stuff this past judging term. Let the words pour forth!

• Meena Krish replied to Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations Noura and Kakera...and to all those who received a HM. Thank you judges and thank you for hosting MA!

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Congratulations, everyone and thank you to the judges for this week's comments and their time and effort throughout this term.