Weekly Contest Winners - February 10, 2020!

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Happy Monday to you all! Here are the results, many thanks to our two judges for their time and commitment. Please go read and feel free to leave your thoughts/analyses on these poems, they are brilliant! I also noticed that sonnets are highlighted this week, from Mr. Darcy & Ben :)

Have a great week, everybody <3
    -MA

WINNERS:

"The wise sailor (Sonnet)" by: Mr. Darcy

"Mr. Darcy's poem this week was a cautionary tale of what happens when you sail into unfamiliar waters disregarding the weather. The oceans are graveyards of these sailors who made bad judgement calls or were unlucky enough to get caught up in a storm. He does this is sonnet form which with its constraining elements just elevates this piece to another level." (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"A wise sailor is a sailor who had been sailing for so long, been on so many lonely voyages, met many people and bed so many farewells, but the pain of losing this person still hurts. It still lingers like a shadow that comes with fog that rests on his ship." (4)

"Semicolon" by: Saerelune

"My favorite punctuation mark used int any type of creative writing is the semicolon, what follows it most of the time holds a deeper meaning. The title was enough to catch my interest. Although the poem is very sad, it has captured the reality of not being ready to let go in a really creative way. I like the repletion of “merely” it contributes to showing how disparate Saerelune is to find a semicolon. What is also interesting is that there was no use of semicolon in this poem. If there was one, where would it go?" (10)

"Wavering" by: nourayasmine

"Life can change in an instance cherishing the moment is very important. Today this song can be the most beautiful song you share with someone, tomorrow you may not be able to listen to it again." (7)

HM's:

"A Soldier's England (English Sonnet)" by: Ben Pickard

"War always comes at a price. Whether it be the loss of our fellow countrymen or family or having survivors guilt, it can be devastating. Ben touches on this in a profound way. He writes in first person, he has made it through the war, attempting to put the horrors of what he's seen and done behind him. His beloved England should give him the solace he seeks but reading this makes me wonder if it is doing that. The guilt over what his country has done and what he has done all in the name of "peace" doesn't sit well with him. Ben writes sonnets seemingly seamlessly and this one is no exception. I felt the pain and guilt this soldier was experiencing in his words." (7)

"What Sober Couldn't Say" by: Ravenbunny

"Ravenbunny writes openly and unflinchingly about the struggles of living with anxiety. It stops you in your tracks, destroys your confidence and ability to see the forest through the trees. The things you want to do and say require some liquid courage and you hate that it's come to that. Her hopes and dreams that it won't always be like this and she will be able to say and do the things she wants, what she deserves and be sober when she does it. Thank you for sharing this personal piece with all of us and remember you are never alone when you are a part of this site. We are here for you." (4)

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Thank you Mary Anne for hosting and thank you judges! Awesome applesauce to put an s behind that word! I hope everyone has an amazing writing week!

• Meena Krish replied to Brenda
    4 years ago

Thank you judges and MA for hosting.
    Congrats to the winners of this week

• Mr. Darcy
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Hello all,

congratulations to everyone highlighted this week. Thank you to our judges and to MA for hosting.

Though the cobwebbed ballrooms are agonisingly mute, the halls are awash of inspiration. I like to stand motionless in the corridors, with hands splayed against the cold, damp stone and just - listen!