Weekly Contest Results March 23rd

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,
    I hope and pray that you are all well…take care.
    Thank you to the judges for their time and effort to make this weekly
    contest possible. Congrats to the front page Winners and those who received
    a HM…well done everyone.......Meena

WINNERS//

Human Pandemic by nourayasmine (10 points)

Poetry Cafe by Bob Gallo (10 points)

Moritification by Maple Tree (10 pts)

Human Pandemic by nourayasmine (10 points)

Noura’s poem sums up the world’s situation lately, in a beautiful unsettling way.
    The images she brought up, had me from the beginning. She kept drawing how
    beautiful the world outside on its own, while we humans locking ourselves in.
    With her powerful ending lines, without us it is thriving.

````````````````````````````````
    Poetry Cafe by Bob Gallo (10 points)

This poetry cafe, this place that almost doesn't exist and does all at the same
    time. Bob's poem to me was almost dreamlike. His descriptive had me there,
    smelling the coffee, tasting the cookie, absorbing the atmosphere. I felt as though the
    place took on a life of its own. He talks of being burned by the winter of this other
    person's heart, somebody so cold that it burns and destroys. This person is there at this
    cafe, radiating their life form in so many ways. Both beautiful and deadly all at the
    same time.

```````````````````````````````````

Moritification by Maple Tree (10 points)

The title set the mood for the poem early on, but what really hit home for me was
    the ending stanza. Pain coming in waves is a perfect depiction of depression/suffering.
    The thought of drowning alongside forgotten memories and ghost ships is also spot
    on, on surface level we might not realize when someone's going through a rough patch,
    but for them they might think that no one's able to see their pain. What's also interesting
    to me is the choice to use 'ghost ships', it clues in the readers on being haunted by whatever
    the ghost ships represent, for a long time. This is very well written and I'm sending
    Andrea positive thoughts :)

HM//

A sign by Gretta (4 points)

Substitutes (free verse) by Obscure (7 points)

Happy Poem // Transformations by Saerelune (4 points)

Lovers' Last Good byes by Ben Pickard (7 points)

iridescent dreams. by hiraeth (7 points)

To the Light by Tony Granell (4 points)

A sign by Gretta (4 points)

There's something bittersweet about holding onto the past, we try to move but
    find ourselves unable to do so. Burning old memories for warmth, it's a tough
    predicament to be in. This is beautifully written.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    Substitutes (free verse) by Obscure (7 pts)

What really drew me to this poem was how harrowing this 'warning' was on
    finding substitutes. We can gorge ourselves on alternatives/substitutes and
    deprive ourselves of the real thing, whether it's love, therapy, whatever it is that we
    truly need. Doing so much more damage to ourselves over the long run. Really wise
    thoughts from a young poet.

`````````````````````````````````````
    Happy Poem // Transformations by Saerelune 4 points

Saerelune's notes at the beginning of her poem states that she recycled bits
    and pieces from various previously written poems to create this piece. I love
    this poem! I recognized parts from other pieces and the way she put this together
    gives it a completely new story. I feel her happiness or the desire to be happy. I also
    feel her despair and struggle to pull out of this tailspin that's hell bent on trying to
    destroy her. It encased so much of her struggles and as I read this I felt myself rooting
    for her and willing her to have those happiness days. I truly appreciate the way she
    shares so openly.

`````````````````````````````````
    Lovers' Last Good byes by Ben Pickard 7 points

Ben has this talent to put these pieces together that just flow beautifully. This
    is no exception. He writes of a man who has just lost his lover, pleading for more
    time, knowing that isn't possible. As in all things in life a debt must be paid. I know
    all of us if faced with this would beg and plead for more time. Just one more day,
    anything. This piece flows with his words he used and the rhyming and although the
    content was sad I enjoyed reading this all the way through.

`````````````````````````````````````````
    iridescent dreams. by hiraeth Points: 7

This is very nostalgic and sad. Although the emotions poured into this are very raw,
    the metaphors are compelling and powerful. The snapping rope, the bruised rib
    cage, rosy breath of spring and many more. It’s like being tangled with insomnia,
    and you can’t tell whether you’re caught up with your emotions or you’re asleep
    dreaming.

`````````````````````````````````````````````
    To the Light by Tony Granell Points: 4

This is so beautiful, the rhythm and rhyme are really great. Line after line the
    description becomes better and better. This is very inspiring.

• Tony Grannell replied to PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago

Dear Judges,
    Thank you very much, I am truly honoured and delighted to get a mention and accolades galore to the winners all - most deserving.

Kind regards, Tony.

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Another amazing week of writing, especially in these crazy times. Meena, thank you for hosting and our judges doing the voodoo that you do! I hope everyone out there is safe and healthy-love you all!

• BOB GALLO
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Thank to all the parties involved, Judges, Meena. Also thanks to Mark, Scott, Ben and Liz.

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Well done, all, and thank you to the judges for their time and continued efforts.