A Place to Share

• schmetterling
    4 years ago

Hey guys,

I'm curious, does anyone know of any websites in which people are able to share their stories regarding mental illness, addiction, suicide, etc.? Something similar to a form of social media in which the subject is around mental health. I know that a lot of people just use Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, and other sites, but I wanted to see if there is one specific to sharing stories and offering advice to each other. It would be cool to have an entire community in which there is inclusion of our struggles. I would love to create something like this if it doesn't exist, but I feel I lack the skills required to put something of that sort together.

Thanks!

• Poet on the Piano replied to schmetterling
    4 years ago

I feel bad I'm so late in replying!

Thank you for posting about this, seriously, we need more people like you (and more platforms) to raise awareness about mental health. I honestly don't know of anything new or specific, community wise, besides what you mentioned. I feel like social media can either be a detriment or a benefit, depending on how you utilize the sites. I'm not aware of any current or up-to-date blogs or forums. There are some neat mental health apps, to track your moods/emotions, and to give coping mechanisms, but again, that's more of a personal use.

Are you thinking more of a shared progress, like an active forum where people can post, and there would need to be moderators most likely.
    That sounds super cool. What I've run into in the past when looking things up is either something is not as active, or there are forums that glorify or romanticize (like eating disorders), so it's been hard to find clearer direction and something that is focused on support. I've come across such emotional and inspiring stories when people share their mental health experiences on Youtube, but that stems from that one Youtuber and the following around them.