Weekly Contest Results 4/14/20

• PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Hello all! It's my turn to host and of course I forgot not once, but twice, to log in and post the results. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this foreign and frightening time. I [likely] contracted the coronavirus and it was the sickest I've been in my life, but I'm in recovery!
    A hearty congratulations to our whimsical winners: Noura, MA, and Adastra! Congrats also to the honorable mentions. Thank you to our judges.
    -Jane

COMMENTS FOR WINNERS:

A Ode To The Rain
    by Poet on the Piano
    10 + 10 = 20 points

"Mary Anne has such a way with words. This poem is no exception. I too love the rain, the sound as it drums the roof and splashes against the leaves, it's comforting. Even a good thunderstorm is both exhilarating and comforting at the same time. I felt this in her words. Her oneness with the rain, her acceptance to its power and her ability to gather strength and peace from it. You can fight the elements or you can find a way to co-exist with them. Mary Anne has found her way." (10)

"A beautiful ode to rain itself, POTP went above and beyond with this write, with verses like 'I'm at ease with how you/expose your wounds' and 'when my lungs are lit with lightning', POTP's writing is both soft and loud, a feat only possible by excellent writers! The imagery in this piece is beautiful, this very well might be my favourite piece written by her!" (10)

-

To Tell You About Me
    by Nourayasimine
    7 + 4 = 14 points

"To tell the truth, I had a difficult time rereading this a couple of times. Every times I had chills running down my spine. I am very touched by the honesty and bravery in sharing this.
    'I don't like myself without you.'
    ^
    I had to stop here and repeat this couple of times. Then it struck me when I read the following line 'grief doesn’t age'.
    I won’t ramble more in this comment, what followed this poem is silence the emotion have been conveyed like punch on the face." (7)

"I truly love the pieces Nourayasimine writes. She puts it all out there, openly, honestly unflinchingly. She starts with herself and what she doesn't like about herself. We truly are hardest on ourselves. Then this shifts to a dream in which someone she has lost has contacted her. It's bittersweet when a loved one we have lost appear in our dreams. We wish for more time with them, other time frames, the little things they would do. She touches on all of this. It brought back many times I had experienced this and for that I thank her. Despite the pain of not having that loved one right there, I will always have my dreams." (4)

-

Kintsugi
    by Adastra
    7 + 4 = 14 points

"I will be honest, I had never heard of this technique until I read the comments. Fascinating! In so few words you have described such a beautiful way to mend something that's been broken. It spoke of more than just fixing a broken bowl, "with patience that love only knew". That line spoke volumes, not just a repair but in life itself. It takes great love and a lot of patience to heal someone who has been broken. It's not an easy task to make something or someone whole again. I felt this poem in my soul and the gentle words soothed me." (7)

"The broken fixed with gold. The broken, the imperfect and the flaw here is always a way make things smooth again maybe it’s love. This is so beautiful." (4)

COMMENTS FOR HONORABLE MENTIONS:

napowrimo: another love poem (day 10)
    by hiraeth
    10 points

"When you read a typical title like this here, you’ll think it’s another mushy poem. The images were bold, they conveyed the emotion in few lines. I like the use of “ethereal being” before going into the second verse, it gave the poem a character and it felt more intimate. The closing lines were so original and beautiful." (10)

-

Apotheosis
    by Adastra
    7 points

"On first read I thought of 'Lord of the Flies' due to the imagery of wasps buzzing forth from its mouth, but when I thought about it, the god could very well be capitalism; a lot of have come to revere money as the ultimate goal, pushing us to gather as much as we can while stepping on others, thinking that
    if one is rich enough, it'll disguise all the ugly things in our souls that pushed us towards capitalism." (7)

-

cast off the old (senryu)
    by Ben Pickard
    4 points

"Ben's excellence with the written word comes to shine with this piece, in a wonderful senryu, he writes about resolve likening it to trees growing back its leaves, which is a very apt description." (4)

• Michael
    3 years ago

Hi all :)

Congratulations to all front page poets, and HMs awarded.

Much respect for the judges that give time each week for the weekly competition.

Hope you are all safe and well

Much love, M x

• Brenda
    3 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Beautiful writing from everyone. I don't envy the judges for having to choose. Thank you Jane for hosting. I'm so sadden to hear of your illness, I am very happy to hear you are on the mend. Thank you judges for your time. Please be safe out there in these crazy times.

• Ya----Na
    3 years ago

Congratulations to the front page winners and HMs.
    Thank you judges.

• Star replied to PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago

Thank you for posting and I’m sorry to hear that, take care of yourself!!!

Congratulations winners and HMs :)

• Tony Grannell replied to PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago

Hello all,

My heartiest of congratulations to the winners and HMs, excellent poetry and then some. Much praise to the judges, fair play to ye for a job well done.

Kind regards, Tony.

• Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Thank you to the judges and to Jane, for hosting! A late congrats to all, but still, awesome work everyone.
    Jane, I can't even imagine... but I'm so glad to hear you're recovering and on the mend <3