Weekly Contest Winners - April 20, 2020!

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Hello! I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe during these times. The judges had some marvelous picks this week. Mark, with not just one, but FOUR sonnets, brilliantly crafted on desired love. So many clever questions are asked, ones of reflection and musings on the depth of love. And we have two awesome poets, Rania and hiraeth, who have been participating in NaPoWriMo (National Poetry Writing Month). In "Hope", Rania shares a part of her soul, a search for belonging, a continuation of hope. There's a sort of restlessness, a wandering, as she the search, the hunt, carries on. Last but not least is hiraeth's poem "refugee", a chilling piece on surviving, on knowing death, still enduring the weight of wounds that others seem to erase or choose to look over. It's moving in the sense that there is some resilience of the soul... having to deal with being forced out, people being referenced as numbers, knowing there may never be a permanence, a true sense of "home", but still fighting. Still trying to amplify your voice.

Congrats to the winners and the HM's! A big thank you to our judges for their time and talents as well.
    Take care!
    -MA

WINNERS:

"napowrimo 11 - Hope" by: Rania

"The poem is titled hope, and full of hope it was! There's something forlorn that Rania neatly hid in each and every one of her verses in this poem. There's tinges of nostalgia, whimsy but the narration slowly drives you to hope that comes to its final journey with ending verses

"There is this sense of belonging
    that I keep hunting for,
    I never find.
    but I carry on."

Subtly written, but just wow! It sat with me for a while after reading this poem." (10)

"No Lovelier Of Cause" by: Mark

"Mark writes such lovely sonnets. Not only is this one just beautiful it's 4, not 1 sonnet welded into a seamless piece! I struggle with a single sonnet and this man puts together an opus! He writes of love in such a sweet way but also sadly there seems to be another suitor who has wooed his beloved to look away from him. Can he gain her back with his words of love? A true lovers triangle which I hope he succeeds!" (10)

"napowrimo: refugee (day 12)" by: hiraeth

"This poem surprised me I was not expecting what I read. There are so many parts in this poem that choked me; like the damp towel line, certain number of deaths becoming a statistic and the new norm. The ironic part about this poem is the title “refugee” even when one fleet for a better life, here comes this pandemic that replays everything the good, tears, pain and the people who are just statistics. This poem would hit anyone hard." (10)

HM's:

"If Tears Were Contagious" by: Ben Pickard

"Ben writes from his heart.These current times are taking a toll on all of us, both physically and mentally. It makes us question our lives choices. Can we enjoy the sun when it always seems like we are living under a cloud? Thoughts to ponder. Worried about bringing this virus home, worried about losing friends and family. Are we being punished for our greedy ways? Will we come out of this in a better way? Or will we forget this whole thing and go back being the same awfulness with a very good chance of repeating history?" (7)

"Sleeping Dogs" by: Tony Garnell

"This felt like a breath of fresh air. Recently, most poems have been somehow depressing even though they’re beautifully written. They’re sort off a mirror of the world now. The images in this though is so calming, it took me to a different place most needed now." (7)

"Your Ghost" by: Star

"Star writes of a person missing someone that's absent, a ghost, and sweetly recalls all the things they have done, showing their relationship in a very touching light. It comes to a crescending end with the last stanza; wishing that she was more impulsive, less calculated and more in the moment in hindsight, something everyone can relate to. Kudos to you, star, for this write!" (7)

"Six Feet Away" by: Maple Tree

"This poem is just heartbreaking, a cruel look into the covid-19 pandemic that stripped away the physical parts of our humanity. Really devastating." (4)

"Napowrimo 14- Survivor" by: Rania Moallem

"I do agree something about this feels infinite, but also it is reassuring. No matter what this person/being is always there waiting so strong. I pictured a baobab tree (the ones in The Lion King). They’re so big and live for an average of a thousand years, they also live in arid areas and store so much water so they thrive even when in bad conditions. Both the poem narrator and the tree are strong and resilient. I Love the ending line “I belong to trees”." (4)

"When The Lad Died" by: Tony Grannell

"Such a lovely poem! I would like to think as we pass there is an angel waiting for us to comfort us, allay our fears and take us home. Especially the children. They need to have someone to help guide them. Tony really has this way with his pieces, he's really a storyteller who engages you throughout the poem. I felt at peace reading this." (4)

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! You guys and ladies are rock stars! Mary Anne, thank you for hosting and our judges for making the tough picks. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy-

• Tony Grannell replied to PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago

Hello all,
    I am so delighted to be mentioned, thank you ever so much. Congratulations to the winners and the other HMs, outstanding poetry in all and worthy of publishing. Once again the judges have done a marvellous job, ever steadfast, unbiased and scholarly in their resolve. May I also proffer my sincere gratitude to all those who have nominated my poems thus far. I am deeply honoured.

Kind regards, Tony.

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Excellent poetry all round this week. Well done to all mentioned and nominated and thank you to the judges for their time and effort.

• Mark
    4 years ago

Thank you to Dagmar, Scott for their support and all the judges, especially the one whom voted mine.

• Star
    4 years ago

Thank you to the judge who voted for my poem and also everyone who nominated my poems last week, that’s a win itself!!

Congratulations winners and HMs really beautiful poetry all around :)

• Ya----Na
    4 years ago

Congratulations to the front page winners and HMs.
    Thank you judges.

• Meena Krish replied to Ya----Na
    4 years ago

Congrats to the Winners and HM's
    Thank you judges and thank you for hosting MA