Weekly Contest Winners - July 20, 2020

• PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Hello! Apologies for the delay and hope everyone is having a great start to their week. We only had two judges this week, and only one set of comments. In "a second haunting", there is heartbreak and pure emotion, the loss of someone who even when they return, is not the same and that void is still present. In "Upset lullaby", we see the allusion to Humpty Dumpty and the depth of remembering someone and their memories, like lullabies that are sad even when sung to happy tune. And in Jenni's return, "Kindling", she writes a tribute to a lasting love that, even in the face of doubt or disbelief, continues its flame and passion. Lovely work and thank you to the judges!

Take care, everyone!
    -MA

HIGHLIGHTED:

"a second haunting." by: hiraeth = 10 points

No comment available

“Upset Lullaby” by: Star

“Upset Lullaby is a deeply poignant poem, and perhaps one of the most original poems of this week. Filled with many visuals without being too ‘spoonfeeding’, Star’s subtle, nuanced storytelling speaks of a persona who is struggling to capture what is slowly being lost. A wonderful write.” (10)

“Kindling” by: Jenni

“It’s difficult to write a poem about love without cliché. Whilst Jenni’s heartwarming write of lasting love does not break boundaries, the idea of others expecting this love to fail, only for it to thrive is wonderfully captured. I loved the stanza referencing the time that this couple has been together, and I adored the theme of freedom. Kindling is a simple, yet thoroughly evocative poem which rallies its readers to be left hoping this love continues to burn brightly.” (7)

HMs:

"An obituary III" by: Daniel = 7 points

No comment available.

“Beauty || The Beast” by: Saerelune

“A powerful and emotive write, with the persona highlighting the friction in a relationship beginning to crack. Confidence and surety oozes through this poem, and whilst it is technically a poem about ‘love’, I found that the poem speaks for many women whose partners are frightened of their openness, their honesty, even their bodies and bravery. ‘I bleed in front of you, and it frightens you’. Such a bold, vivid, final image. Excellent.” (4)

In 13 (6) by Rania = 4 points

No comment available.

• Brenda
    3 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! A lot of amazing pieces! Thank you judges for your time and having to make the tough choices. Mary Anne, thank you for hosting...

• Meena Krish replied to Brenda
    3 years ago

Congrats Winners,
    Thank you judges and thank you for hosting MA

• Star
    3 years ago

Congrats winners and HMs !!!!!

Thank you judge for the vote I always dont see it coming :)

Thank you MA for your time!!!

• Liz
    3 years ago

Congrats everyone!