Samuel Barber...

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Adagio for strings

It's midnight, and I have had this on repeat for hours.

• Poet on the Piano replied to Ben Pickard

YES! Love that one. It's most famously used in the war film "Platoon" but it's also tons of other films. Fun fact: apparently Barber was an influence for Martin O'Donnell, one of the composers for the Halo games soundtrack which is *chefs kiss*

Other pieces that come to mind:

On the Nature of Daylight ~ Max Richter (from the Arrival soundtrack)
    Été ~ Philippe Rombi (from the Jeune et Jolie soundtrack)
    Humility and Love ~ Christopher Young (from the Creation soundtrack)
    Arrival of the Birds & Transformation ~ The Cinematic Orchestra (from The Crimson Wing: Mystery of the Flamingos documentary and also used in the movie The Theory of Everything)

also ANYTHING from Joe Hisaishi (Studio Ghibli films) but specifically "The Legend of Ashitaka" in Princess Mononoke.

I tend to listen to more "modern" or recent composers and need to take some time to listen to more classical composers, lest I neglect them!

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Sorry, MA, I meant to get back to this sooner. I will certainly make time to listen to some of your suggestions.
    It's funny, as a wee youngster, rock was the only music I could entertain, but my family always played classical music - especially my grandparents, so as I got older and listened more and more to it, I suppose I was already "fine tuned", as it were! At 39, it's pretty much all I listen to. I still enjoy Dylan, Lana Del Rey, Our Lady Peace, The Gaslight Anthem, to name a few, but give me some nice baroque guitar or adagios in the evening with a nice glass of wine and I'm happy. And probably getting old...

• Keira Pickard

I love adagio for strings!
    MA ,( dad told me your name!) I listened to some of your suggestions and throughly enjoyed them. I loved the ' on the nature of daylight ' : it built beautifully throughout, and was very moving. Also, the studio ghibli music are all nice to listen to!
    I enjoy all classical music, though, like Dad, i also listen to Lana Del Rey, Taylor Swift and some other modern pop music.
    Some of my other favourites of classical music are Spring Waltz/Mariage d'Amour, spiegel im spiegel by Arvo Part and a few others! But adagio for strings is my favourite.

• Poet on the Piano

Ben, that does NOT mean you're getting old! For many of us, that glass of wine and music at the end of the day is what we look forward to most :)

Keira, hi! I will have to listen to your suggestions as well. And I love pop music as well. There's nothing like a good pop song in my mind. Especially Harry Styles, Dua Lipa and Miley Cyrus as of lately. I can't help but love Taylor Swift too, having her music as a teenager to adulthood, and "Folklore" is my new favorite. I used to work at the box office at our local orchestra, and my co-workers had far more classical music knowledge than I ever did. I was always talking about pop music and my reviews while they educated me on classical pieces I'd never heard of before! And that interested me in playing more classical pieces on the piano too. So it was the best of both worlds haha.

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Oh, good. Not just me then, MA!
    Just quickly, I do have to agree that Folklore is a wonderful album from what I have heard of it and as for Dua Lipa, she's done a rather good one recently called 'Fever' with the french artist Angele. I do love love that song.

• Keira Pickard
    3 years ago

I don't look forward to a glass of wine at the end of the day!
    Haha, I've learnt a lot of classical music in the past year and through other people when I didn't know much of it before, as well! Thank you , I hope you enjoy the music.
    Dua Lipa is good, and so is Miley Cyrus. Their recent song together is great, too - but Taylor Swift's 'Folklore' excells! I've labelled it as one of my 'on repeat' albums, haha.