Weekly Contest Winners - December 7, 2020!

• PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago

Hello everyone! Happy Monday.

This week, Jane stuns us with "Requiem of Autumn", a piece that is vibrant with imagery and nostalgia, of lost love, seasons, and having to move on. Next, Everlasting writes a beautiful sonnet in the memory and honor of a loved one in "Grandma". Last but not least, Michael mourns a lost love and speaks of the effects of not seeing them in "Restless memories".

Congrats to all and many thanks to our two judges this week. Take care!
    ~MA

WINNERS:

"Requiem of Autumn" by: Jane Do-Re-Mi

"This poem is heartbreaking and yet so beautiful and elegant all in one. The rich nature tones and visual display are so powerful that I read this poem many times over just to soak in the beauty again and again. Touching, moving and breathtaking!" (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"What a wonderful first piece this is. The writing somehow seems familiar (not sure if this lady has had an account here before) but that is inconsequential. I was transfixed by this and have read it many times. The good times are never appreciated whilst we are actually experiencing them, yet the bad always seem so wretchedly highlighted. Here, the writer only understands what is lost once the leaves "cascade in their final tango of death" (wonderful that) and she finds herself sitting beneath the naked tree that used to shelter their love with foliage and shade. The turning of the seasons can bring so much loss in so many different ways. Well done; this is lovely work." (10)

"Grandma" (English sonnet tretameter #1, 2020) by: Everlasting

"A sonnet is beautiful on all accounts in my opinion and then with a dedication to her Grandmother, it just turns into magic. Beautifully written, flows so elegantly that I just melted when I read this. Its very difficult to add that flow in each line and to keep it on point and this piece has all the flavor a sonnet should have. Very pretty poem." (7)

"Restless memories" by: Michael

"The first thing that drew me to this was the way Michael formatted the piece. I always enjoy the shorter lines in free verse, as you seem to slide effortlessly down the page when reading. Anyway... Insomnia is no fun. But what if there is that special someone lying next to you to make it that much easier? What if there is someone near you who inspires such warmth and love that staying awake is not only bearable but almost desirable? And then they are gone. You are now left with not just the insomnia but the haunting or "restless" memories as well. I couldn't help thinking of that wise old idiom "better the devil you know...." and all that when I got to the end of this. By the way, I particularly liked the idea of eyes being wounded with the site of nothing, rather than the more usual opposite." (7)

HM's:

"all my nerves" by: Skyfire

"I don't know the detail of what this fine poet writes of here, but what I do know is that the feeling she was left with because of it is conveyed brutally. It is sad, and her reply to Ben at the bottom of the page is sadder but it was certainly effective in getting my pulse racing by the end. Well written and take care." (4)

"Quiet at Last" by: nourayasmine

"Noura's first line had me at "Hello" ha.

Turmeric and Lemongrass- Spicy, flowing elegant
    graves of words- oh my, just the entire first stanza had me at a halt.

The fear of loss, and wondering is so powerful in this poem, its sorrowful and yet so beautiful.
    Well done." (4)

• Keira Pickard
    3 years ago

Congratulations, everyone!

• Everlasting
    3 years ago

Thank you for the comment and nomination. It means a lot. Congratulations winners and hms.

• Mr. Darcy
    3 years ago

Big thanks MA and for our judges Excellent work everyone - wonderful poetry for all to see.

• Ben Pickard replied to Mr. Darcy
    3 years ago

A hearty congratulations from me to all those highlighted.

• Larry Chamberlin
    3 years ago

Congrats to Jane, Luce & Michael and to the honorably mentioned!
    Thanks for posting, MA and thanks to the judges.

• silvershoes
    3 years ago

Congratulations to the winners, especially to Jane ;) Glad to have another Jane on the site!

• Michael
    3 years ago

Hi all :)

Thank you to the judges for their time, and the lovely comments on my poem.

Congratulations to to the front page poets and HMs awarded.
    Thank you to Scott for nominating my poem.

Much love M

• Brenda
    3 years ago

Congratulations to the front page winners and HM's! It's such an inspiration to read these words. Thank you to our two judges and Mary Anne for hosting!

• Star
    3 years ago

Really good poetry this week, congratulations winners and HMs ^_^
    Thank you MA and judges for your time!