Losing Words?

• Milly Hayward
    3 years ago

I think we all probably at some time in our lives had that infuriating moments when we are convinced that we have used the right word with the right meaning only to find we are horribly mistaken? This is my moment....

I have just finished writing a poem where one of the lines finished with the word "Nie " which I have long understood to mean "Is happening now" or is imminent. However looking on the internet for the correct spelling I can't find it as an existing word. So....

Is it a case of me using entirely the wrong word or did it exist once with that meaning and now it doesn't? and if it did exist and no longer does are there other words that once existed that have also been removed?

• Larry Chamberlin
    3 years ago

Nigh?

• Ben Pickard replied to Larry Chamberlin
    3 years ago

Yes, I think Larry has it there, Milly. It's archaic but is certainly still a word.

• Keira Pickard
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

I think it might be ' nigh '....?! Yes, it's definitely still a word - I think. Haha :)

• Milly Hayward replied to Larry Chamberlin
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

That will teach me to write poetry in the early hours of the morning. All sorts of things go through your mind lol. My brain just froze and I couldn't for the life of me think how to spell it. Thank you all so much :) xx