Weekly Contest Results Tuesday March 16th

• Meena Krish
    3 years ago

Hello everyone, sorry for the delay! Thank you judges and Congrats
    to the front page Winners- Larry Chamberlin, Ben Pickard and Walter
    and those who received HM.

WINNERS://

Sea Turtles (13 word haiku) by Larry Chamberlin (4+7 points)

New Growth by Ben Pickard (10 points)

For What It's Worth by Walter (10 points)

COMMENTS://

Sea Turtles (13 word haiku) by Larry Chamberlin (4 points)

Visual display at its best within this wonderful 13 word haiku- I could
    see the birds landing upon a mossy shell and then I could see the turtle
    diving downward. Excellent!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sea Turtles (13 word haiku) by Larry Chamberlin 7 Points

Although a haiku usually has a seasonal word (kigo) this one, instead,
    captures a brief nature moment, that of the determined sea gull pecking at
    the moss covered crustacean. This form benefits from a ‘heightened sense
    of closure’ (kireji) from line 2 into line 3 and this poem does that wonderfully
    well: Once the gull prize is revealed, the flock descends, to steal the hard
    work away. This is a splendid way to close a haiku. Splendid!
    -----------------------
    New Growth by Ben Pickard (10 points)

Here we have a poem of 4 stanza, each one basically consisting of 2
    rhyming couplets. Nothing special, you say!? But of course, it is! You may
    wonder why and how it reads so buttery smooth? Does he cheat by copying
    the work of some, ye old bard? No, this is not this poet’s style; for he hath
    studied and practiced, ye old art of, meter. No, not the traffic kind, but the
    meter that is, syllabic beat/feet, or as you hear them, the sound of connected
    words/syllables. You will find, like me, if you count the beats, there are 4 in
    each line. Much like a heartbeat, these beats form the life-force, structure if
    you like, that this ‘nature’ poems sings to you. This particular meter is iambic
    (unstressed then stressed sounds) and because there are 4 of these iambs, it
    is an iambic tetrameter poem. If you are reading this and already know about
    it, all is good, but, I for one, like to read poems using meter, especially rhymed
    verse. However, if you haven’t got a clue of what I am talking about and enjoy
    reading ‘buttery smooth’ poetry, then you can either, research how to incorporate
    meter in your poetry, or just ask someone who you feel writes, like this poet, in
    a melodic, sing song way.
    ------------------------
    For What It's Worth by Walter (10 points)

Walter has this wonderful way of writing beautiful rhyme poetry
    along with sending a heartfelt and powerful message mixed in. Yes its
    true that what you feel is no longer needed can be a huge treasure for
    another. I love ants and I do feel the ants by his feet was a great twist of
    events for the poem. Just beautiful!

HM’s://

A Wilted Gladiolus (Senryu) by Keira Pickard (7 points)

Careful What You Wish For by Walter (4 points)

COMMENTS://

A Wilted Gladiolus (Senryu) by Keira Pickard (7 points)

Gladiolus are Armour and a warrior flower all on their own, Keira has
    crafted a powerful and lovely Senryu here- the message is wonderful!

-----------------------
    Careful What You Wish For by Walter (4 points)

I could have chosen other rhymed verses, but I chose this poet. He is a
    prolific writer, and his poems are often enjoyable stories that often have words
    of wisdom. This piece does not lack substance, in fact it’s really good, but it
    does, sadly, lack, like other rhymed pieces this week, consistency of meter.
    Let’s take the first stanza as an example: (Line 1) I throw a coin into a well,
    (Line 2) High in the air and then it fell, (Line 3) I watched it as it makes a
    splash, (Line 4) then disappear in a flash. The first 3 lines read well, 4 beats
    in each, but then in line 4 the meter is off. Meter is not all about counting
    syllables but listening to how the sounds of the syllables rise and fall. To
    make this particular line flow well, it simply needed a minor alteration, like
    so: Then disappear (with)in a flash. I would not suggest a complete revision,
    merely to think about this meter when writing another rhymed verse. Personally,
    if you, or any PnQ poet were to do this, I would find it hard not highlighting
    such a poem.

• Keira Pickard replied to Meena Krish
    3 years ago

Congratulations to the winners and HMs! Thank you to Meena for hosting and the judges for their time. Also, thank you so much for my HM and the lovely comment on it.

• Mr. Darcy
    3 years ago

Well worth the wait, Menna - thank you! Thanks too to our judges, a rapturous round of applause to our winners and those special poet's now garnished with HM.

• Brenda
    3 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Stellar writing! Thank you Meena for hosting and our judges for making the tough choices and well informed comments.

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Meena Krish
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Thank you, Meena for posting and to the judges for their dedication.

Congrats to Walter and Ben: honored to share the page with your works. Congrats to the honorably mentioned.

Thank you, Keira, for the prompt!

Judge 2: appreciate your analysis. The season reference bothered me in writing, but I decided that mother ocean is timeless.

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Many thanks to the judges for their time and, in particular, to the judge who gave such an informed comment on my poem...buggered if I know what they're on about :) Thanks, too, to Lucero for her nomination.
    Can I also say how great it is to see shorter forms being highlighted recently. There is often so much cleverness and beauty in them that is too often overlooked - I suppose because of their very (brief) nature. Anyway, well done to Larry and Walter and all those mentioned/nominated.

• Walter replied to Meena Krish
    3 years ago

A big thank you to Meena and the judges especially with pointing out my meter count consistency. It becomes much more obvious with the detailed in depth explanation which was provided. To Larry and Ben, congratulations with the wins as well as to Keira with her HM. Thanks also to Scott and Brenda for your nominations.