Weekly Contest Winners - August 30, 2021

• PnQ Mod Account
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

Happy Monday! I hope everyone is doing well. We only had one judge this week, but I want to thank them for their time in reading and choosing these three poems. First congrats is to Saerelune, who made a heartfelt and hopeful return with "Brave". Next is Noura, who shared a colorful yet nostalgic, contemplative piece in "Summer-Autumn Collaboration". And last but not least, Jordan's "Wind", a haiku that speaks on nature but also the unpredictable and chaotic moments of life.

Congrats to you three! Have a wonderful week, everyone!
    ~ MA

COMMENTS:

"Brave" by: Saerelune

"I thought this was a very well-crafted poem that is highly relatable to poets who have been writing for a long time. Starting verse one and two with the repeated line ‘decade of desires’ is a great way of formatting the poem and gives the nostalgic feeling of using your poetry to look back at different stages of your life. I like the subtle rhyming that wasn’t over-the-top, but just enough to give a kick to the flow. I feel like in this poem, the poet is looking back on their life through the lens of their writing, similar to how one might look through a photo-album. I love the image and idea that the poet is still writing, still returning to their poetry that is like a comfort blanket to them. The poem gives the idea that poetry for the poet is almost a homecoming, a refuge, a deep personal need. One that may never be perfect but then again, it doesn’t have to be. Well done!" (10 points)

"Summer-Autumn Collaboration" by: nourayasmine

"This poem has some gorgeous autumnal descriptions and images. The poem felt very natural, relaxed and almost serene and I like how it doesn’t need to try too hard to fit in complicated language or patterned rhyme. I feel like there is also a lot left unsaid, or merely hinted at and the metaphor of the leaves is an interesting one. It feels like the poet is inspired by the seasonal shift to take stock of their life or ponder about their place in the world. The poet very cleverly references colour: beige rooftop, brown leaves and orange lamplight to paint a picture in the reader’s mind of the autumnal scene. I also like how the landscape seems to be where both urban and rural co-exist: trees and leaves amongst buildings and lamplights. Just many beautiful images in this poem of many layers. Well done!" (7)

"Wind" by: Jordan

"This was a haiku of high quality. The economical description of the wind is excellent and perfectly enough to engage the reader and give them something to think about. I like the multiple meaning of the line ‘pushing boundaries.’ To me, as I look out at my garden, it means the slow but certain effect the wind has had on my wobbly, leaning fenceposts! In a haiku, each word and syllable has to have a meaning and pack a punch, and I feel that the poet has achieved this here. Words like roaming and violent are perfect for describing the wind. I also like the simile that the wind can be like life, in that there are unpredictable ebbs and flows; periods of calmness and periods of tumultuousness. Well done!" (4)

• Larry Chamberlin replied to PnQ Mod Account
    2 years ago

Three classic writers! CONGRATS.
    Thanks to the Lone Judge (do you wear a mask & ride a white horse?)
    Thanks MA for posting.

• Meena Krish replied to PnQ Mod Account
    2 years ago

Congrats Winners and
    thank you to the one judge!
    Thank you for posting MA..

• The Parrott King Jordan R. Stephens
    2 years ago

Thanks for the nom and for the points! Congratulations to the other 2 winners as well. Cheers :)

• Saerelune
    2 years ago

During a time in life where I feel so very insignificant, thank you for appreciating my poetry and making me believe that not everything is meaningless. <3

Congrats to Jordan and Noura as well! Honoured to stand beside these two brilliant poets.