Weekly Contest Results - March 21, 2022

• silvershoes
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

This week our judges highlighted three beautifully crafted, brave poems with a thread running through them about the meanings of love, home, and hearbreak. Congratulations on a double win this week, Shruti! Your storytelling feels poignantly gripping and intimate. Congratulations to Kate for her winning poem, which felt courageous and personal. As Star mentioned in her public comment on your poem, it read almost like a --albeit heartbreaking-- fairytale. Wonderful pieces. You have a preternatural way with words, poets.
    Congratulations also to our honorable mentions - poems by Star and Jemia de Blondeville! These poems are well worth a read.
    Without further ado, here are the judge's comments. Thank you to the two judges who dedicated their time to the weekly contest this week! And thank you, always, to those who read and nominate.

Front Page Winners
    why cannot I run with you? by Shruti: 7+4 = 11 points
    autumn will by my home by Shruti: 10 points
    The Lucky Girl by Kate: 10 points

Honorable Mentions
    Hope in a Lavender Scent by Star: 7 points
    Barely Moving! by Jemia de Blondeville: 4 points

Comments:

why cannot I run with you?
    by Shruti

"Firstly just to say as a suggestion to change the ‘cannot’ and ‘i’ in the title, to swap them around?

The poet paints a picture of sadness, that involves someone close to their heart. The difficulties of making decisions, their morals and ethics. This can bring about some difficult times in any kind of relationship, and resolving issues can be thwart with all kinds of things promised or said, maybe.

I do like the way the poet uses flowers and fruits to bring more into this piece, which is very important to them, like their values are becoming ripe and as things age, it maybe clearer to measure where two people are in life.

Nicely written. Well done." (7)

"There's something oddly sad about the rich imagery, a grasp at wanting to point out all the things that scream home when someone's getting ready to leave you behind. The pain that comes to live in the middle of your throat, straining every word with it, you captured all of that brilliantly in this peace. I hope you find some semblance of peace in however things turn out for you." (4)

-

autumn will be my home
    by Shruti

"Rich imagery? Check.
    Gut punch? Check.

When most people write about spring being a season of renewed hope, Shruti comes in, writing that she'll always belong to autumn in beautiful detail. The creativity in that alone is exciting, but pair it with a poem that had the audacity to say 'my mouth has become a graveyard of words/that could not crawl out, and died/and my tongue is its only headstone', I think it speaks for itself why this poem deserves to be on the front page." (10)

-

The Lucky Girl
    by Kate

"As I started reading this piece of writing, it felt like reading a short story of their childhood. The poet expresses how difficult and painful their life was as that child.

I am sure many of us can relate in someway to our childhood, and the trauma and difficulties that we come across where we have no voice and all that goes with it.

The poet has provided a vivid image of how they gave so much hope – striving for a better life. However with so many hurdles and events, this was by no means anywhere near an easy time.

A brave piece of writing, that captures so much emotion." (10)

-

Hope in a Lavender Scent
    by Star

"Charming piece that makes great use of the prompts, pairing the hope in the subtle aroma of lavender with a forlorn sadness, it makes for a great poem. One that I've re-read multiple times throughout the week!" (7)

-

Barely Moving!
    by Jemia de Blondeville

"Quite a ghostly feel to this piece, as if the poet is writing of their future as they feel it now.

It is always interesting to read a piece of writing that maybe has a fictional feeling, however the poet conveys her writing in such a way, they know exactly which is their personal fact.

Well written and well done." (4)

• Shruti
    2 years ago

Ah I feel very grateful and happy. Thank you so much for hosting this beautifully, for the nominations and to the judges for their kind comments and votes. ^.^

Congratulations to Kate, Star and Jemia!
    And all the other nominated poems, they are beautiful ~

• Michael
    2 years ago

Hi All.

Congratulations to the front page poets and HMs awarded. Great poetry :)

Thank you to the judges for their time each week.

Thank you to Scott for nominating my poem

Much love.

M x

• Star
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for the comment ^_^ it makes me happy to know that people come back to read a poem.

Annnd I'm really happy with the front page this week, congrats Kate and Shruti for your wins!! Also congrats Jemia de Blondeville for the HM :)

Thank you judges and silvershoes for your time ^^

• Poet on the Piano
    2 years ago

What a beautiful intro, Jane! Thanks for hosting, and many thanks to our judges. Congrats to all!

• Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

Thanks for posting Jane. I agree the intro was great. Thanks, too, to the judges.
    Congrats to the winners and honorable mentions.