Weekly Contest Winners - May 2, 2022!

• PnQ Mod Account
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

Happy May! I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. I'm super grateful for our two judges this week, but we are still looking for more volunteers, even if it's for a shorter period of time, if you are unable to commit to three months. We would love and appreciate any help, only if you want to and are free :)

This week, both judges cast their top votes for Kate's poem, "Selfish", an honest piece on the selflessness of loving someone, even when it means we may get hurt in the process. I think it shows the hardship, yet beauty, of putting someone else first and recognizing what they may need, as opposed to just listening to our own desires. There's a lot of wisdom in understanding how it may take more time and growth, when that person is ready.

Next, "Escaping The Wait" by Satish holds a great deal of intrigue, which I think could be open to interpretations by many. To me, it speaks of the fall of humanity, or a reflection on how, over time, no matter how we evolve, there may always be a need to follow someone, even if it means compromising morals and contributing to a groupthink mentality. Or even alluding to people who believe in omens, who look for extra meaning in each unexplained or supernatural event. Looking for escapism or meaning in something other than each other. I like how this piece holds suspense and mystery and could speak to many themes.

And last but not least, Star's poem is highlighted, another inspiration from National Poetry Writing Month in April. Star's piece holds fantastic and vivid imagery, with each verse coming to life. It makes me think of seeing through the eyes of a child, allowing ourselves to see the wonder before us, finding joy and being awestruck at everything the world has to offer, everything we know exists or may only be ever to dream about.

Congrats to our three winners, and congrats to Captain Lonesome (their first HM) and Xaque on their Honorable Mentions! Many thanks to the judges for their time!

~Elliott

COMMENTS:

"Selfish" by: Kate

"Beautifully written poem about the perils of love, specifically how in the face of true love we become selfless, putting ourselves second to make sure our loved one is okay. It's not an easy task, leaving things unsaid/undone when you really want to put your own happiness first, but since you're bound by love, you don't act on that impulse. Love truly is a beautiful bittersweet thing." (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"A wonderful and clever piece of writing that had me gripped from the start. I read this over and over because one I thoroughly enjoyed it, but what really struck me was how the poet expressed their strive for not wanting to be selfish, yet also shows even the things we don’t want can be selfish in someway. So beautifully written, and the ending suits this piece close to perfection. Well deserved." (10)

"April 21st, 2022" by: Star

"The imagery contained this poem is fantastic. It feels like it came from a fantasy world, one that is filled with hope and warmth. Really well written." (7)

"Escaping The Wait." by: Satish Verma

"I have read this writers work before, and they never fail to hold a cryptic message. This is no exception. The message of greed, power and money of course, which is what I got from this. I like how this poet has their own sort of language in poetry, and such depth and intrigue. Truly enigmatic." (7)

"You're Right" by: Captain Lonesome

"I wasn’t sure to whom the poet was referring to with such a title, which caught my attention. Upon reading it opened up the sadness of how one feels while in a relationship with expressing their unworthiness. A very open piece of writing, in which I feel is when poetry holds a special way of letting it out with pen and ink. A great ending. "(4)

"Mercy" by: Xaque

"I really like this poem and the message it imparted on me was, to be kind & merciful. Everyone has their own demons, and in a world that it's so easy to be cruel in, the harder thing to do is to be just, to be kind. Nothing's perfect, life can be a mess-but we should still strive to be kind." (4)

• Captain Lonesome
    2 years ago

Thank You!!!!!

• Shruti
    2 years ago

Congratulations to the winners and HMs!

• Meena Krish replied to PnQ Mod Account
    2 years ago

Congrats Winners and those who received HM!

Thank you to the 2 judges for their time and thank you for hosting Elliott!