Hey Brilliant Minds, Let’s Think

• Everlasting
    1 year ago

Take a look at this and tell me what you think:

https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12986-015-0035-0#ref-CR8

(I only copied and pasted some portion. Please copy and paste the URL and look at the whole study).

Open Access

Published: 29 October 2015

Low-calcium diet prevents fructose-induced hyperinsulinemia and ameliorates the response to glucose load in rats

Background
    Consuming a fructose-rich diet leads to hyperinsulinemia, impaired glucose tolerance, and insulin resistance. In humans, the consumption of high levels of refined sugars often coincides with a diet containing suboptimal levels of calcium. Calcium and carbohydrate metabolism interact, so there is potential for fructose to have different health outcomes depending on whether the diet is calcium-rich or calcium-poor.

Methods
    We evaluated the metabolic effects of feeding fructose to rats that were maintained on either a calcium-replete diet or a low-calcium diet. Growing male Sprague Dawley rats were fed diets based on the AIN-93G formulation, with the main source of carbohydrate derived either from a mixture of cornstarch and sucrose or from fructose. Half the rats given each carbohydrate source were fed calcium at recommended levels (125 mmol/kg Ca2+); the others were fed a diet low in calcium (25 mmol/kg Ca2+). At various times, glucose and insulin tolerance tests were conducted to assess glucose metabolism.

Results
    Rats fed low-calcium diet had lower fasting insulin levels irrespective of the carbohydrate source they ate. They had a normal glycemic response to a glucose load and did not develop hyperinsulinemia under conditions of fructose feeding. The drop in blood glucose levels in response to insulin injection was larger in rats fed low-calcium diet than in those fed calcium-replete diet.

Conclusions
    Low-calcium diet prevented fructose-induced hyperinsulinemia and improved glucose handling under conditions of fructose feeding. Potential mechanisms underlying these effects of the low-calcium diet remain to be determined, but possibilities include impairment of insulin release from the pancreas and improved peripheral insulin sensitivity.

• Star replied to Everlasting
    1 year ago, updated 1 year ago

Right now I’m literally preparing to present a research paper but on air quality, my brain can’t handle another one lol. I’ll come back to this later ;)
    Just one thing I think I read this paper before, and if it is the one I think it is, I already hate referencing research on rats and I think theres a part that annoyed me even more when I read it.
    And just so you know, I know this type of research wont be published unless the research was approved by an ethical comity :)

• Everlasting replied to Star
    1 year ago

No worries. Priorities, first. But definitely once you have some time, please come back and let me know more.