PNQ is Capitalist?

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

HAHAHAHAH, yeah, often the truth is rather funny, that's how the world works these days.

I disagree with you though, not everyone is just after comments and votes like people are after money in America.

However, I do think that poets can acquire monopolies, so to speak.

And the politics are thick at P&Q.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Not everyone seeks them incessantly like you do.

People need money to live, people dont need comments and votes to post their poems here ("live" here).

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

You are incessantly seeking votes and comments in the name of poetic capitalism.

"Capitalism is awesome in my opinion because it rewards the hardworking and limits the "wealth" of the lazy."

You work hard, you figure you'll get votes and comments, but in actuality that's not how it works. People have to be able to tolerate your personality.

People do give honest criticism, but when you piss everyone off they don’t like to give it to you, not that you accept honest criticism anyway, you down vote and bitch about negative comments. For instance, you should not have acted like an idiot towards Mr. Bob Shank, he gives great honest commentary.

Instead of making friends you're out there on the boards making enemies, people DO like to help out, not just hold others down by down voting them or not leaving comments, breeding jealousy in their own minds.

Anyway, I already said I somewhat agree, just not totally.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Nano, capitalism is different than what we are talking. You can CAPITALIZE on anything, it is a verb, and it is taking advantage of something:

To turn something to one's advantage; benefit: capitalize on an opponent's error. See Synonyms at benefit.

It is not just a business term, anyone can capitalize on anything. It is taking advantage of something to gain benefit for yourself, and that does happen on P&Q- in a way.

And Nano, I agree with you that reputation has a lot to do with it. People will go out of business if no one likes the "product" (poetry) you are "selling," which is perhaps why Killer is upset he doesnt get enough votes or comments.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

And MARKETTING is all for the purpose of selling, if you are not trying to get someone to do or buy something, you have nothing to market.

This is how P&Q works as well, the more you market yourself (without damaging your reputation by becoming a notoriously arrogant jerk), the more readers, comments, votes and awards you will get.

It's often converted into a "you rub my back, I'll rub yours," system where high votes are traded, as well as comments.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Yes, business is sketchy, it's all about reputation and marketting. That's why marketting is to improve reputation and human resource people are available, but on this site, each poet is their own human resources department, marketting department, and product producer. The site takes care of the accounting department, and there you have it... our own little socio economic system.

But Killer, what are you capitalizing ON? That's why I said that it is KIND OF like capitalism, we DO have our own little social system and we do have a political system, the monetary system is taken care of by comments and votes, but no one is capitalizing ON anything.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Everyone is a first time customer, but we never touched upon long term customers. They are the best, and very loyal.

Look at what happened with Hailie, everyone was so resistant to the facts because she had a fantastic reputation and long term customers, but it's gone now. Many of the "customers" even stood by her through it and would still be loyal today if her account was still active.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

But what is there to capitalize on in general? Convert "capitalize" into "take advantage of.... for my benefit." Capitalizing is not the same as "cashing in on," we already know what we are cashing in on, votes and comments.

It is capitalist in terms of the fact we all are out for ourselves, it is not designed around the community, but individuals, which makes the politics harsher, but also makes the talent rise to the top and keeps the mediocrity with the bottom feeders, which is a plus.

I disagreed with you relating votes and comments to money in America, just because we dont need them to "live" on the website and you need money to live in America, I didnt disagree with P&Q being capitalist.

• Bret Higgins
    19 years ago

I think the voting system is much more aligned with communism. A nice idea that just doesn't work.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

lol

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Nano, you're taking this WAYYYYY far. We are talking about capitalism relative to a society. I'm not a dipshit; I've studied marketing and business. My dad is an entrepeneur with his own successful corporation. I've learned more from first hand experience than most people learn in college, but in all honest you are misconstruing what we're talking about.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

lol. No, Nano, you're awesome.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

He's real estate in Oregon. I dont want to say the website on the boards, but I'll PM you with the link.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

It's about time to pull out the mirrors, isnt it?

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

Kaitlin - you on JPM level now - posts about you hun gees what do I have to do to get one about me damn it LoL

Killer this is really getting terribly sad and pathetic find a life, a job, a friend, someone who actually a flying fuck or something...

=Eirisa=

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

You can fool all of the people, some of the time. You can fool some of the people all of the time but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time. I think Abraham Lincoln said that. You can please some of the people some of the time You can please all of the people some of the time but you can’t please all of the people all of the time. I think, I said that ..just now… I am not going to direct my comments toward any individual, as I can still smell smoke in the air…I started writing poetry intensely about four years ago. And I believe I have grown as a poet. I know I have been accused of forcing the rhyme but sometimes I feel the rhyme forces me in my opinion poetry is not and never will be a science . Poetry and romance deals with the sublime. Subjective and profound feelings can come from words and their order. I can understand the relationship between creator and creation. [Poet and poem ] I have read poems on this site on topics from the Almighty to dog poop. I have posted on many sites and got in the featured poem section
    I always hope that people don’t expect a lot from my comments because I am so easily pleased I started writing just for fun I got published just for fun. I do as Bob Shank said find it very therapeutic to write I want to finish this with a line I wrote from a poem from my book that I have not posted

But he put his blood on paper for anyone read
    The truth is still the truth no matter what your creed
    And I would never sell the blood of a poet out of greed
    Because a poet does not write for money he does it out of need

Ah the arrogant poet he tells this story with pride
    As if he could see way down deep inside
    Of the mysterious woman, and the one who finds it hard to hide
    From the poet deep inside of him, he hopes he has not lied