Intelligent Chat: Thinking Outside the Box

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

OK.... So what's the box?

And how does one get outside it?

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

So "the box" is your normal thinking patterns?

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

So.... "think outside the path of your life?"

Hmmmmm.

Any other philosophical and intellectual answers?

I agree though, blessed be the child :)

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

OOoooh. I like that one a lot.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

lmao, I LOVE that answer....

Brilliance, Freud should be sainted.

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

I will have to think about this one a while outside my box. maybe this will stimulate the thought it is from an Indian friend hullo from this site "A bit beyond perception's reach, I sometimes believe I see, That Life is two locked boxes, Each containing the other's key." - - - Piet Hein "Grooks"

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Beautiful, and so damn frustratingly true.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

More answers please...

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

lol, I think his box is very small and it has white padding on the walls and bars on the windows.

That's what I think.

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

Do we conrol our minds, or do our minds control us ?
    Everytime someone has a new idea others feel frightened to leave the security of the box. Everybody has got angles but confinment comes in all shapes and sizes. Angles have degrees, and so do agreements to a degree I agree. yet there is not a mathematical formula for peace..just some abstract thoughts.

The box

We live in more than one imaginary box
    Each holding keys to imaginary locks
    My mind confined to what it can see
    My soul wandering around free

Some hearts trapped in one place
    Longing to love in an open space
    Truth is the only key to peace
    Where all the arguing will cease

We can measure our time with clocks
    Can we measure the space in our box?
    Does our universe have a border?
    Where chaos is combined with order?

Combinations known
    To our God alone
    The earth it will not rest
    Until it passes the test

Is there a perfect place?
    Outside our little space
    Where we all love and care
    And hatred is not there?

Michael D Nalley
    4/18/05

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

There is a Hooters across the street from the Jack in the box where I eat . Sometimes I go there when I am thinking outside of the box. Once a beautiful waitress there came up to me and asked me what I wanted. I did not tell her the truth, I just ordered some food

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

You should try Subway next time.... (Bob may be the only one to get that one ;) )

Nice poem, Michael, glad the intellectual conversations serve to muse someone :).

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

Very good question if a box exist in a mind it does not mean that the box can't be built by that same mind thus mind in matter and matter in mind all things concrete or abstract originate in the universal mind or force. Doesn't that mean our thoughts have to physically exist? I think from a metaphysical point of veiw our dreams and fantasy thoughts can effect our physical being Doesn't that mean our thoughts have to physically exist in the mind. A famous free thinker who was burned at the stake as a heritic seemed to refuse to separate the physical from the psychical... thinking outside of the box used to be dangerous. But I think he was a genius If we can achieve cemical balance through spirituality Doesn't that mean our thoughts have to physically exist?

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Their physical existance is based energetically, which is all physical matter is made of. Densely packed energy.

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

Kaitlin your a genius that is what Giordano Bruno and other great minds were trying to say in the 16th century.Bruno was trying to make a connection with the infinitely small to the infinitely large. The random firing of neurons is no accident. No more than the forming of the universe which is still forming. I get it
    Bruno was trying to rise to the highest knowlenge of unity in diversity which is the intelletual equivalent of the love of God I wrote a poem about Giordano Bruno's philosphic summary It is posted on this site under the title 'Giordano Bruno'

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

People used to think that the Earth was flat too.

It makes sense that everything is eventually found to be made of the same thing, as it all comes from creation. Therefore does it not make sense that at the fundamental levels everything is made of the essence of creation?

Energy does not die or end. Energy converts. All that makes the Universe, the world, the computer monitor you are reading right now is energy in converted forms. This is why nothing is untouchable in terms of physical or energetic manipulation.

The illusion is that things are seperate, that we are different, that things are not constructed of different physical matters or principles, while in fact we are here to discover that everything is intertwined and part of the collective, the creator, the God in us all.

All energetic forms that are composed of each other.

OK. Done with my little spiritual guru lecture now; back to Earth.

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

I think I'll climb back into the security of my box for now but it really was stimulating. thank you kaitlan that was beautiful yet real

• Bogie
    19 years ago

*Kirk flaps open his communicator*
    Scotty! Fire photon torpedoes!!!
    *Up in the Enterprise frantically searching*
    Captain! the power packs are failing! I knew
    I should have used Duracell on the Spotlight.
    Get out of their Captain!
    Kirk *looks away*
    Where is that trekkie Bunny when you need him?

Jpm,
    Great story thinking OTB, Lmao…

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

I've NEVER heard the expression "to think outside the box" LoL :o) Here in Australia we tend to say "Tto think outside the square".

...Bit of trivia...

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

sounds one demensional lol another trivia is the virtex or cyclonic flow is different there is it not?
    the term square has the meaning conservative sometimes

• Bogie
    19 years ago

OK.... So, what's the box?
    The box is the normal and/or traditional
    way we think and do things.

And how does one get outside it?
    By thinking and making changes to
    the normal and/or traditional ways,
    not sparingly but extremely even
    the taboo.

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

I think you're right about the square meaning conservative Mr D Nalley, thats the perfect way to explain it...I'm assuming the box is much the same. Thinking outside of your normal, more conservative way of thinking by trying something new or out of the ordinary?

• Kevin
    19 years ago

For me thinking outside the box is about empathy. I sometimes think of my physical body, though found of it i am, as a prison of sorts, certainly i am contained in many regards that seem limiting. So when someone mentions thinking outside the box...i always think of other people...try to put myself in their mindset.

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

When you think about it, all of the great inventors had to think outside of the box Ex; Fulton's folly changed the course of history

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Donald: I love that answer

Kev: I know what you mean, and I agree.

I think that thinking outside the box is about getting outside yourself, your perception of the world around you. Also around societal views and common understandings.

Challenge everything.