Who are you trying to convince

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

I will admit that I find it intellectually stimulating to argue. It is difficult to seperate emotions from intellect. I have noticed that I am not the only person passionate about their own opinion. You know that people are critisized for being open minded or closed minded. When I can find no one to argue with I argue with myself. I have got to go now . this is the arguement within

[edited out due to poem posting in forum]

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

I am not ignoring this serious question but it made think of something funny. I have a windows XP. the word processer has a cartoon paper clip in the corner of the screen. I found myself getting angry at the paper clip because it was always looking at me like I was crazy or stupid. But you and I know it is the paper clip that is stupid. Right?

• pinkalias
    19 years ago

I think you're talking about the arguments that end in "F you I'm smarter" and "you ignorant twit"

Depends what you define as the argument, are you directing this toward a fight, or debate?

Personally, I love debates. And not to prove myself, to myself, or any of what you asked but because it gets your own thoughts out with others while conversing with new or informed ideas with introduced detail and signifigance.

There have been many arguments where I have learned much about society that I didn't know/the subject we were debating about, and thus expanded my knowledge of intriguing subjects and momentous topics.

I do not know your age at the moment but being at mine I must say debate helps me to grow in knowledge and teachings of this world of ours. I think debate and arguments do a great deal in expanding intellect and common wisdom of life.

Also, it's just plain fun to prove someone is wrong:) and granted when you are proved wrong yourself. I have myself changed opinions about many subjects through debates because I hear different and impressive ideas backed up by valid facts and surprising ideas.

Ok, I'm done
    ttfn

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

And the paperclip scraches it's head??????????

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

Is there any point in proving to random people on the internet that you are right? I'm kind of like my paper clip you can just be anoyed at me when I scrach my head, or you can rephrase your comment, or ignore me. I have the desire to communicate. YOU MIGHT THINK I AM TRYING TO SELL A BOOK

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

People argue to rationalize their own thinking, but arguing is also healthy because if your views dont get challenged you get stagnant.

I argue with people on the internet because I find it entertaining, enlightening, and I like my thinking to be challenged. It teaches me personally a lot about psychology and how people react to different things. I also like to challenge other people to rationalize their ideas and offer them a change to grow, but the biggest benefit is that you get to see how other peoples thought processes function, then as you get to know more about them you can see what in their life influenced them to react or think in certain ways. I like to psycho analyze anyone I talk to, and the internet is a great medium for that, peoples choice of words, when they get combative, how they present themselves, etc. is all fascinating. Plus I love to teach people and help people.

Most of the time when I argue with someone it is not to WIN the argument or simply make the other person look like an idiot (although that's sometimes a great side benefit), the purpose is to challenge people and learn from them, while allowing the other person the chance to learn and grow as well.

When people argue they seek to be understood, you dont even need to tell the person you think they are right. Most of the time if you say "I understand what you mean, you think that..." will simply end an argument. People seek validation through others and they also want their opinions recognized as having purpose.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

And how you win arguments is classic, because people forget what they're arguing about in the first place.

You know those stupid people who I said get pushed around like bugs?

It reminds me of that.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Cheers.

• Kevin
    19 years ago

I argue to make everyone like me. The world would be a better place if everyone, with the exception of a few naughty ladies i'd keep hidden away, took the Kevin pill and just E'volved.

Plain, you ain't so tough Mr man, you just encourage people to lose their cool, the very cool that would otherwise enable them to see the weak points in your rants. Like with poor Mr M Nailey, just baffled...you get him all hot and bothered and he loses it and makes like humpty dumpty.

Not all that hard to work out and counter....not that i'm into that anymore. Is it really worth the effort?

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Jeez Kev, seems like you may be in need of a midol or something, the last few posts I've seen of yours have been less than humerous and playful~ where'd our happy elf go??? :(

• pinkalias
    19 years ago

..what the F happened to Kevin??

• Natalie84
    19 years ago

It's just fun.