some thoughts on religion

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Jharrison: Amen.

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

I agree with ismail, religion has had it's problems through the centuries, even the indians divided into tribes. It seems to me that faith, hope and love are needed for any healthy spirituality. I have no objection to anyone finding peace individually. When anyone takes the thought control to extremes it could be unhealthy. Many find peace, and freedom in laws

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Yes, but people seem to overlook the fact that God can exist without religion dictating his existance.

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

Kahlil Gibran was a master poet who wrote about religion in his book 'THE PROPHET' It can be found on line

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

I might add that Kevin Murray also has recommended it

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Prince Kevin recommends it?!?!?! OMG, I'm all over it! ;) haha

(How come the word "recommend" doesnt look right?)

The book I HIGHLY recommend is "The Human Situation" by Macneil V. Dixon. He was a philopher around Ayn Rand's time, 1935ish. If you can get your hands on it, it's brilliant, he goes into the psychology of theology, among other things. I could have spelled his name wrong though, I'll have to make sure when I get home.

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

KAHLIL GBIRAN CHECK IT OUT ON THE SEARCH ENGINES OR
    http://www.columbia.edu/~gm84/gibran26.html

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

HTTP Status 400 - Bad Redirect Request (MVC, Redirector).

It's broken. Fix it, Michael, fix it :(.

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

kaitlin just type Kahlil Gibran ON THE SEARCH WHILE I TRY TO FIX IT Gibran was exiled from his homeland for his radical ideas, which included a woman's right to choose her lover HE USED TO SAY IF YOU TOLD THE TRUTH FOR FIVE MINUTES, ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS WOULD LEAVE, TEN AND YOU WOULD BE EXILED, AND FIFTEEN YOU WOULD BE HANGED!

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

lol, fine. I'll stop being lazy and actually do it myself ;)

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

"The freest song comes not through bars and wires."

On that basis alone, the man was brilliant.

Here is a link that works:

http://www.columbia.edu/~gm84/gibran26.html

• Kevin
    19 years ago

There was a time when the world had no religion....to suggest as someone did that religion is what sets us apart from the animals is to me, rediculous.

Nothing sets us apart from animals. And don't any of you being giving me that "We are aware of ourselves being aware of ourselves" line because we know NOTHING about how aware animals are of themselves because we know nothing about how brains, animal and human, really work...except what all the different bits do and how to fix them when they go wrong.

So yeah, i can see a world without religion.....there'd be lots of faith and belief...but no religions.

You may say that i'm a dreamer.

• Kevin
    19 years ago

can't what?...finish a sentence?

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Ultimately, there will be a world without religion.

We just havent come to discover what we are without a "box," or "label" yet, trying to define what's outside of us because we dont know what's inside of us.

And Kevin, that was funny :)

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Faith and religion are in no way the same thing, religion just relies on faith to survive, but faith can exist in itself.

And Nada, sorry, but I completely disagree with almost every aspect of your previous post. I think that's a rationalization for religion, when in actuality the very things you think religion is offering you, religion is feeding off your need for. It's like synthetic heroin, it keeps you from the kick but it wont get you high.

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

Bob and Nada are both right in aspects about Mohummed...I don't want to get overly involved in another religious discussion. Most members know by now I strongly believe in my Islamic faith, but still enjoy reading everyone elses posts and perspectives. But I couldn't help but chuck that in sorry :oP