native pride

• cant sleep
    18 years ago

im native american. and proud. america wouldnt be here, and as prosperous as it is right now if it wasnt for us. we showed the europeans how to plant seeds the right way, we showed the europeans how to hunt, and fish, and live during the winter. and how do they repay us? kill us off like bugs. leaving only a few behind. then, the few that were left, were put in reservations, where we dont get any money from the government to help us live, so our poverty level is super high. and if we live in the city's ( and forget our traditional ways) then, we get ridiculed, and made fun of from the racist few out there. its hard. and we dont get anyhelp. but i am proud to be native amercian, proud to be related to the first people that lived on north america. proud to be the TRUE owners of this land.

• cant sleep
    18 years ago

being able to not be white, and to be unique. im not racist, but everyone around me is white, and im proud to be different, im proud that i stick out in the crowd. im not like everybody else. it might not benefit me in the way you think it does, or should, but it does alot for me personally.

• cant sleep
    18 years ago

that didnt make sense.

• cant sleep
    18 years ago

thats kind of the problem. see, no one really cares about the past, unless they learn it in history books. in the american history books that they have in my school, there is one chapter on native americans, and the whole rest of the book is about caucasion americans. about their triumphs, and defeats. but nothing further than that one chapter in the whole book is about natives. sorry, i just have to vent about that. because, still, half the kids in my class (class of '08!!!) think that native americans are murderers. or whatnot. i just kind of find it offending.

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

I see no reason for a native American not to be proud of their heritage. Afer all they were here first to rule this land. The Indian trails have survived in many parts of this area. Just because a culture choses a different lifestyle, we cannot assume that it is inferior. There is an ancient indian site known as 'old stone fort' close to where I live. It is estimated to be thousands of years old, yet the building skills of the mound builders are amazing.