Teachers abusing students

• Tammy
    18 years ago

I need help or advice here. Yesterday a teacher had my 15 year old son in a choke hold & he couldn't breathe. There are 3 marks on his neck kinda like long pinch marks.
    I talked to the school and they will not admit that the teacher had him in a choke hold. After school was out, a cook who saw the incident stopped me outside my home and was livid about the whole situation. She said my son didn't do anything to justify them doing that to him. (not that I think this CAN be justified) After not getting anywhere with the school, I went home and took pictures of his neck, I called the child abuse hotline, I went to DCFS and filed a complaint there (they accepted the case) I took my son to the emergency room to have a doctor document his findings and take pictures, my son and I both gave written statements to the sheriff's department. Is there anything else I should do??

• Tammy
    18 years ago

It took EVERYTHING I had in me not to do that. I wanted to hit him so bad. It's that motherly instinct LOL

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Bob... he is at school today
    This actually is the third time he has come home in the past 2-3 months with bruises or marks on him from adults at his school. The other times I went and talked to the school. One time a teacher shoved him up against a door bruising his whole upper half of his ear another time he had bruises on his arm from them grabbing him, now this...too much for me. I have tried to remain calm and not push the issue as far as I know I could have, but now I don't think it is going to stop unless I DO push the issue. I talked to the state's attorney's secretary and she said there are a lot of bad things going on at that school. She told me to push the issue as far as I can. They get a lot of reports from parents, but in the end the parents just give up. I'm not going to.
    I have already taken one of our children out of school and am home schooling him, I may have to home school this one as well.

• Tammy
    18 years ago

From what I was told by an aid and the cook at the school, my son did nothing to warrant this attack. The aid was sitting next to him at the lunch table and said it scared the sh*t out of her when they came and grabbed him. She said he was eating his pudding and the next thing she knew they grabbed him. What happened was a boy at the table asked the teacher if he was dating an aid and he told the other boy to shut up and eat and my son said to the other boy, "He always gets mad if anyone asks him about that" then the teacher freaked out I am supposing from what I have been told by people who were there. The two adults I have talked to say there was no cause for this.
    And yes, one time my son was being unruly when they slammed him against the door, (and he got in some major trouble at home for that) but when is it ok for teachers to put bruises on our kids?

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

If any of these things were to happen at my old school the teacher would immedietly be fired. These acts are unacceptable, and action needs to be taken as far as it can. You should probably try and get into touch with other parents of abused kids and sue them together, united. It will push a stronger message, but schools should not have the ability to do any sort of discipline besides detention and extra homework. They should in NO way manhandle the children.

You're doing the right thing.

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Also, I went to talk to the principal today and she said I don't HAVE to send my son to this school... there are other options, like home school. My answer was, Yes I am aware of the other options. I have thought about that. If I take my son out and just drop it, that gets him out of the situation, but what about the other students? She really didn't have much to say to me today.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

What they are doing is against the law. You shouldnt be put into a position where you HAVE to home school your child for his own SAFETY. That's bull shit. Sue them and get some teachers fired.

• Tammy
    18 years ago

I have talked to 3 criminal attorneys today. They all told me to wait and let the state's attorney and DCFS finish their investigation, then file a suit with them backing me. However,I am pulling him out of the school tomorrow.
    This is just crazy.. I can't believe I am dealing with this.

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info Bob...I don't know anything about these things. I will look into it tomorrow.

• Tammy
    18 years ago

You know, about 2 months ago they had to remove a teacher from this school because he totally freaked out on a student and put his face in the gravel and rubbed it in it. These are the kind of people I am dealing with here. Don't ask me where the heck they are getting these teachers. I am sure the parents are taking some kind of action on that.

• Tammy
    18 years ago

I'm not sure that a hit man is the answer here LOL
    But thanks for the suggestion :)

• Mel
    18 years ago

Mmmmmmmm, your'e not gonna like my response to this. All this pressing charges against teachers is pretty much out of order. I believe that if a child is abusive he/she should be given a clip around the earhole! I had it at school many times and so did my friends.

Kids today go to school and say and do what they want (not all) but some do. They have no respect for adults or society when they leave school because they think 'you can't touch me because I'll sue you' and parents reinforce this.

Better still, put them in a Boot Camp .

• Mel
    18 years ago

I wish I had a pound/dollar for everytime I'd heard that old chessnut: 'the kid did nothing wrong'.
    I agree, though, it sounds that the teacher was a little over zealous in his actions by today's standards.

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Mel
    Let me assure you that I am not normally the kind of person who thinks of suing. However, if you read the whole thread, you will see this isn't the first time something like this has happened. I firmly agree that if a child is rebellious they should be punished for their behavior. I have taken my children to the police station and had them ask the police what would happen if they were disobeying us as the parents and we gave them a swat with the paddle and they called the police on us. The police told them that they would more than likely come and give the parents a switch and watch us while we used it. So, our children don't have that "you can't touch me attitude"
    Also, I don't have a problem with your opinion on this matter. But I know the things that are going on at that school and I will no longer stand by and watch it happen to MY child.

• Mel
    18 years ago

OK. Fair comment.

Have you made a visit to the school and demanded to see the teacher who is responsible? You have aright to hear his version of events.

• Tammy
    18 years ago

The teacher (which, by the way, is also the vice principal) was the first person I talked to about this. His story doesn't add up. He says he was being gentle with my son and at no point did he ever admit or deny that he had my son in a choke hold. There is nothing about it in his report, however his report does say my son hit him... funny, he didn't mention that to me when we were discussing this matter the day it happened. That is a very important fact to leave out, don't you think? I honestly find it hard to believe he would have forgotten to tell me if my son had hit him. Especially since I was at the school letting him have it. I was VERY upset. I think he is attempting to cover his butt!! He knows he is in the wrong, and he knows I am taking this as far as I have to. I have made that very clear. I think he is afraid of losing his job.

• Mel
    18 years ago

He's covering his butt alright. I'd be interseted to know the outcome of all this. You'll have to keep us posted on the proceedings.

Good luck.

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Thanks Mel. I will keep you all posted. I also want to thank everyone for their advice, and if you think of anything else please let me know.
    What a great bunch of people on this site!!

• Ð맆îñ¥
    18 years ago

I'd just like to say good luck with it, if anything like that happened in my school, the school would have no problems getting rid of the teacher, even if the teacher denied it. My school is really serious on anything like this, its tough with kids too but in my opinion there shouldn't be any violence in schools, either between the kids or with teachers and kids or teachers and teachers. Teachers should set an example and it sounds like the teacher has endangered your son in a place that should be kept safe for kids. its wrong that people who are there to protect kids should be the ones to do things like this.

Anyway

Good luck with your case

Jemma

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Thank you Destiny

• Laura
    18 years ago

KICK THEIR FUCKING ASS OR I WILL.

thats friiiiigen ridiculous...if i EVER had a teacher even TRY to do that to me, i would have killed the son-of-a-bitch no if and or buts about it.

people are SO fucked up.

• Sherry Lynn
    18 years ago

Shoot if anything like that happened here the media would have a field day with it. You could bet that it would be plastered all over the news from city to city throughout the whole state.

MMM... Maybe a little publicity isn't such a bad idea. Ever hear of public pressure.... just a thought, but it is up to you.

--Sher

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Sherry,
    you may be on to something there.
    I had a dog that was shot by the police simply because the dog catcher couldn't catch him and I made such a fuss about that...it was on the front page of the paper 3 weeks in a row. The dog catcher quit and the police vowed to never shoot another animal in city limits for animal control.
    So maybe some publicity would be a good idea.
    Thanks!!