Ignorance is bliss

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

I have heard that quote, or saying as far back as a can remember. Usually as an insult to someone who seemed ignorant and very happy.From a poetic point of view I would like to campare it to infatuation. When I am infatuated, knowing the way it will end would completely destroy the bliss

• Amilo
    18 years ago

Making the best of life is not a crime. I agree that happiness can be pertained through ignorance of all the painful truths, Naivety and innocence found in young children – they no nothing about poverty, war, the feeling of broken-heartedness. And yet as the years pass… some of the innocence and ignorance is replaced. Some, but not all. I do think that being exposed to the world and having knowledge of even painful subjects do humans good. Happiness may be harder to pertain, but experiencing something beforehand will make the eventual fall softer.

• Dorotea©
    18 years ago

People should be aware of things that happen in this world because we live in it. If then, later on, true happiness comes, then you won't take it for granted because you have experienced pain.

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

Food for thought if you will pardon the pun. Let’s examine the story of Genesis. I am not trying to offend highly evolved apes, but someone wrote it. From a poetic view, can we imagine anything more blissful than never having to die or pay taxes? Then the author has them eating from the tree of knowledge and all hell breaks loose. Just food for thought.......

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

I am not trying to offend highly evolved apes, but someone wrote it
    In other words, I was trying not to be dogmatic for those who do not believe in the bible
    'Thanks for that. I really needed to know that someone somewhere wrote a book'. You are welcome Ashley
    Ashley, I do not wish to destroy your bliss, but can you name any other book that has been read more and taken seriously in the history of mankind?
    From a poetic view, can we imagine anything more blissful than never having to die or pay taxes?'

Yes. Why not share with us what would make you happy
    'Then the author has Adam and Eve eating from the tree of knowledge and all hell breaks loose. Just food for thought......I was really just trying to show how old the concept of the quote you questioned was. I believe as you do, that knowledge, physical or spiritual is something that has always been held in high regard by mankind. In a spiritual sense many religions view suffering or sorrow as a purging, or purification or the soul. 2 The ecstasy of salvation; spiritual joy. The idea that ignorance is bliss may apply to the people who are blissful at the moment of their sin. I know that I enjoy over eating but my bliss does not prevent me from suffering consequences.
    '

’Are you seriously suggesting that we should live by the bible and not think for ourselves?!?!’ Don’t go ape on me. I am very much in favor of thinking. Although I believe that the bible has wisdom that is essential for a healthy spirit, I am well aware that I cannot force wisdom or knowledge on anyone. The quote 'ignorance is bliss' applies to people who have narrow views. No one on earth is in the state of eternal bliss. The paradox of paradise on earth is in my opinion like the paradox of ignorance to bliss. All of the atheist, aliens, or highly evolved apes are always under the illusion that they know everything. Bliss is a state of the mind. Bliss is also a state of the soul. There is natural wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Then there is a peace that surpasses all understanding. I don’t understand how anyone cannot see the connection between philosophy and loving wisdom. Wisdom is knowledge, and the capacity to make use of it. Perhaps one day you will be mature enough to understand. Only a child ignorant to history would refer to the bible as just a book, because it has affected the whole world. My poem [Imagination] is in line with this topic.

• Carlee Ann
    18 years ago

Honestly, Ashley, you appear to be the narrow minded one. M brings up the points you debate as well as his own and explains why he doesn't think you are correct. he agrees with you on some aspects, but all you do is contrast contrast contrast.

Read the Bible unless you are too narrow minded to take a different view.

www.bible.com
    ~or~
    Buy the best selling book ever to be sold, found in every bookstore, everywhere.

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

"I am not trying to offend highly evolved apes, but someone wrote it
    In other words, I was trying not to be dogmatic for those who do not believe in the bible
    'Thanks for that. I really needed to know that someone somewhere wrote a book'. You are welcome Ashley
    Ashley, I do not wish to destroy your bliss, but can you name any other book that has been read more and taken seriously in the history of mankind?"

’I heard 'mine kampf' was read quite a lot. A lot of people took that seriously too, then went and killed 6,000,000 jews. You are foolish if you are suggesting that how many people read something adds to the validity of it. Even if they did take it seriously. You believe that the bible is truthful because you want to believe. Not because you are looking at it logically

’Thank you Ashley for making my point that the bible is taken seriously.. and that you have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything. It is true that I want to believe that a book promoting faith hope and charity would survive a book promoting doubt, despair and hate. As far as I know there are more bibles still in homes than ‘mine camp. And you have also proved that anything can be rationalized through logic. The only thing I can add is that faith is above reason.

"Although I believe that the bible has wisdom that is essential for a healthy spirit, I am well aware that I cannot force wisdom or knowledge on anyone. The quote 'ignorance is bliss' applies to people who have narrow views. No one on earth is in the state of eternal bliss."

'A belief, nothing more'
    . Ashley do you believe you are nothimg more than a highly evolved ape? And you cannot force wisdom or knowledge on anyone because you seem to lack it. It applies to everyone. And no one on earth is in a state of eternal bliss because everyone has fear. Relieve yourself of fear and nothing matters'
    That is a sad goul is there any wonder that you want to die? Not having fear is a blissful illusion. your desire for death implies that you are afraid of living
    'You effectively have to not care about anything. And die inside. The whole idea of heaven is that you go to a better place when you die. The way i see it, is that dying is eternal bliss. No worries or cares, free from the bounds of mortality and pain. But if you wish to live your own life then you have to do what you believe is right. Which is another reason why there is not peace'. because everyone has different opinions'
    Fear of the Lord is a gift of the Holy Spirit
    Read all of this unless you are too narrow minded to take a different view.

http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/intro.html
    I seriously don’t have time to read garbage

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

Ashley I did take the time to read the ‘so called’ document on atheism. No surprises, the whole thing was based on the false assumption that every thing must be proven before considered. By the same narrow view I may conclude that eternity does not exist because it has not happened. Space that has not been measured does not exist. Obscurely Fading does not exist because she is Kaitlin Krstina You do not exist because I don’t know your last name. Zanthonie never existed because I have not enough evidence. But you will label me stupid, because I don’t know how the Creator created an infinite universe without leaving any evidence of intelligence

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

Now you are contradicting yourself. You have said in this discussion that the number of people that believe something has no significance. Just because you make a proclaimation it does not make it true. A religion is a group that believes the same creed. We become in essence what we believe. If you believe your life has no meaning, it won't. Objectively I cannot prove the spirit exist. Subjectively you have pointed out the power of words.The SPIRIT of love that is in the HOLY BIBLE has not always been accepted.Sadly it is true that the words have been twisted to fit the personal desires of men of great power. I did not dismiss all of the document on atheism. I strongly agree that atheist can be as dogmatic as Christians. I never said that the Spirit of Love was not provable. You proved it when you showed what the results of the opposite are

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

if all religions were centered on truth and no one was ignorant of the truth it would be like the words of a Buddhist chant' individual happiness equals world peace' That makes truth the most valuable thing that the world has .

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Ignorance is only bliss if you are unaware of it.

Then again the more ignorant you are the wiser you become. Is wisdom bliss too?